Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: Worried about Eclipse?

Post by marielle »

pennybug84 wrote:
marielle wrote:
sweetpea wrote:You know I watched NM one last time before it left the theatre and I am hoping they don't put music after every new scene like they did in NM.
as long as it is Rob's songs, I wouldn't mind....
I would not either. I love listening to his 2 songs on the Twilight soundtrack. Another reason I love Rob, he's multitalented! I am hoping & crossing my fingers that he'll contribute to Eclipse.
he said in an interview that he was working on two songs for Eclipse.... can you believe how crazy we go if he is on the Eclipse soundtrack....
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Post by Essay33 »

Things happen, scripts go missing. Anna Kendrick apparently lost a New Moon script in St. Louis, and they didn't fire her. I don't think anyone needs to worry about Jackson.

As far as how the movie will turn out, a script (particularly a preliminary one) doesn't tell you what actually will make it to the screen, and how much will be added, taken away or changed during and after filming.

Let's think positive, people. Otherwise we're going to give ourselves nervous breakdowns long before Eclipse is released.
"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath." --Jonathan Swift, A Tale of a Tub
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Essay33 wrote:Let's think positive, people. Otherwise we're going to give ourselves nervous breakdowns long before Eclipse is released.
thanx for the warning but I think it's a waisted one.... New Moon gave me almost a Breakdown, and I didn't even like the book (edward was missing :( ) Eclipse is my favorite...I'll be as stressed as a turkey on thanksgiving the last few weeks before the release
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

marielle wrote: he said in an interview that he was working on two songs for Eclipse.... can you believe how crazy we go if he is on the Eclipse soundtrack....
oh man that would be awesome! Hopefully when it's confirmed he'll be on it, I'll probably be as happy & giddy as a schoolgirl. It makes me happy now just hoping, how crazy is that?

Essay33 wrote: Let's think positive, people. Otherwise we're going to give ourselves nervous breakdowns long before Eclipse is released.
I'm trying! I just hate how all everyone is talking about is having more action & the love triangle that it makes me nervous they won't fit in some of my fav B & E moments. (And it doesn't help that I recently reread the book & so I know even more the parts I want in the movie. I think that makes my apprehension worse than it would have been!) Think positive thoughts, think positive thoughts, think positively, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive,think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive,think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive, think positive.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

Does anyone know how different the New Moon script that was found is from what wound up in the movie? If it's a good deal different, perhaps there is hope. :) All I hear is how bad the Eclipse script is. I haven't read it so I have no idea so I'm relying on hearsay.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

lady4string wrote:Does anyone know how different the New Moon script that was found is from what wound up in the movie? If it's a good deal different, perhaps there is hope. :) All I hear is how bad the Eclipse script is. I haven't read it so I have no idea so I'm relying on hearsay.
from what I have heard the ending was different and they changed it at the last minute for a cliffhanger.
Banner by TammyAZ
Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Post by Essay33 »

OhhhKAY. I will admit it, I peeked. Because I'm that way. DO NOT ASK ME FOR IT, because I'm not about to get in trouble for peeking. I will not give any details in this post, on this thread, or on this board. However, If I'm breaking any rules by anything I post herein, please do not hesitate to delete whatever is objectionable. I will not be at all offended, the well being and reputation of this site is more important.

Those who are worried about this movie, and the screenwriter's take on the novel, need to just chill. Seriously. Nobody ought to be expecting a Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings canon treatment here anyway (and even he changed and compressed things); events are going to be compressed, deleted and changed from SM's novels. They need to be. The movie is only about two hours long.

What is important is that the essence of the story, the main characters, and all the major plot points (i.e. Bella finally realizing she loves Jacob, even though she can't live without Edward) are intact. Not that they depict every single scene SM wrote.

Some things are (brace yourself) actually better in the prelim screenplay. In the New Moon movie, I felt the depiction of Edward fighting Felix was brilliant and one of the better parts of the film. That scene wasn't in the novel, but it was necessary to depict Edward's fear of what Jane could do to Bella, Felix's lethal strength, and Edward's willingness to protect Bella at any cost. Words explaining Jane's evil delight in causing pain, and Felix's stunning brawn work in a book, but not on screen so much, you need action.

In the novel version of Eclipse, how many of you got pissed off at Charlie's reaction (or lack thereof) to Jacob forcing a kiss on Bella? I know I did. *choosing my words carefully here* I'm not upset by his reaction now. And would you rather have, for example, every single time Bella took off for La Push, or every single conversation she had about Jake with Edward depicted in detail, or compressed into one or two scenes, with time then available to show us other things not in the novel but necessary in the film, like who certain other new characters are (scenes supporting the importance of these characters)? That's the sort of thing a screenwriter taking dialog heavy material like SM's novels must do to create a dynamic, two hour movie that won't just appeal to people who have read the novels so many times they can recite each line of dialog.

Edward has a lot of quality screen time. So do the other Cullens (something I missed a great deal in New Moon). Everything that is vital to the story is still there. My only regret is that Rachelle LeFevre didn't get to play Victoria in this movie, but that's a topic for an entirely different thread.

So for my money, this is going to be a very, very good movie. And I'm looking forward to it even more now.

EDITED to add parenthetically that I read the entire thing quite carefully. Every line. I am NOT an actress, never have been, never will be. I do live in SoCal, one of my daughters has done voiceover work, and we have several friends who are actors and actresses as well as two friends who are television writers. I am familiar with scripts. This one was better written (seriously, it was quite well written) than many preliminary scripts I've seen, though I do think it was a preliminary script, not a final shooting one at all.
"Where I am not understood, it shall be concluded that something very useful and profound is couched underneath." --Jonathan Swift, A Tale of a Tub
edwardsluv
Wandering Through Town

Post by edwardsluv »

Thank you, for your post Essay33. That was really great and well said. You have assuaged some of my fears. I am one of those passionate people that really got my panties in a twist :D . I do tend to do that, over Edward and Robert Pattinson, at times. These books are so passionate and have touched a nerve, or awakened the feelings, of the ladies of this nation that we do tend to get PMS'd over them at times. I know I do. I realise that I won't ever like the movies better than the books. And you are correct in that books and movies are 2 different mediums (one mental and the other visual) so alot can't be properly tranlated to the screen. One of the things that I wish they would change, from the books, is the fact that the Vampires can't cry tears. I think there lack of tears doesn't translate well to the movies. If you haven't read the books and don't understand that fact then the tendency is to see Edward as completely cold. Plus it's very difficult for an actor to portray sadness, without tears, and not look like a zombie. Edward's lack of tears makes him look uncarring if you don't understand why? So either they need to let Edward cry or put it somewhere, in the dialogue, that the Vampires can't cry, to clue others in.

The only thing is that I don't want them to change things to the point that they loose the heart of the story and make it unrecognizeable. As far as the action goes, movies don't need to have lots of action to be good. Take a look at Sleepless in Seattle. Movies can be quiet and emotional and be very entertaining, if well written. Although, seeing Edward kick Victoria's butt, will be great. Surely, they didn't leave that out. It's too important.

There are alot of things going on in this book, so I do understand that some things will have to be cut out or condensed. That's why I'm concerned about how much time the Riley/Victoria add in stuff will take up. There's so much going on, in the books, they don't need to add in something that isn't there. If you need some fillers, write in some extra stuff about Edward. They could do a flashback and we could see Edward when he was killing people and being bad. Then we would understand why he's pushes Bella away, at times. Give us some insight into his character. The books are told through Bella's eyes, so let us see some things that Edward and Jacob were doing when Bella wasn't around. Just don't put in stuff that doesn't help move the love story along or doesn't give us any insight into the thoughts, feelings, and behaviours of the main characters.
Essay33
Wandering Through Town

Post by Essay33 »

edwardsluv wrote:... books and movies are 2 different mediums (one mental and the other visual) so alot can't be properly tranlated to the screen.
Exactly! And for the uninitiated, reading a screenplay can be a big jolt, because it does not read at all like a novel.
One of the things that I wish they would change, from the books, is the fact that the Vampires can't cry tears. I think there lack of tears doesn't translate well to the movies. If you haven't read the books and don't understand that fact then the tendency is to see Edward as completely cold...So either they need to let Edward cry or put it somewhere, in the dialogue, that the Vampires can't cry, to clue others in.
That is an excellent point, one I had not considered. I'm not sure the uninitiated viewer (who hadn't read the novels) would think Edward was uncaring so much as simply really stoic in a guy sort of way. But it is an interesting point you raise.
The only thing is that I don't want them to change things to the point that they loose the heart of the story and make it unrecognizeable.
I can say with 100% certainty that they kept the heart and soul *grins* of the story intact. There are lines of dialog straight from the novel too, just as there have been in the past two movies. It's a good adaptation.
As far as the action goes, movies don't need to have lots of action to be good. Take a look at Sleepless in Seattle. Movies can be quiet and emotional and be very entertaining, if well written.
Well, that's a totally different genre of movie. Nobody expects Eclipse to be The Matrix either, but I'd say certain scenes lean in that direction rather than toward romantic comedy. And then there are the romantic moments.
Although, seeing Edward kick Victoria's butt, will be great. Surely, they didn't leave that out. It's too important.
Ahhh...how can I address this without crossing a line... *thinks hard* Nothing "too important" has been left out. How's that? And when it comes to any on-screen fighting, the phrase "totally kick butt" *MOD EDIT - sorry but to keep us at a PG rating it had to be changed* comes to mind.

I honestly don't think there was anything superfluous in this script, everything seemed purposeful and included with an eye for advancing the plot. Like I said, it was very well written. Undoubtedly there will be something from the novel left out that makes someone scream "I hate Summit/Melissa Rosenberg/David Slade." But that can't be helped.
lady4string

Post by lady4string »

Do we get to see Nikki Reed go Medieval on Royce and his buddies? That would rock!