Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Worried about Eclipse?

Post by Jazz Girl »

Yes, I see that a lot of people say that. I guess it's a personal thing. For me, I saw it in Twilight. But, that's my point. The argument that we hear from Melissa Rosenburg, from David Slade and from Summit is that those big moments are in there...that they made sure to include all of those "defining" Edward & Bella moments. What they aren't getting is that what's missing is the way they blocked the scenes, not allowing E&B to be together, the way that they set certain things, or change certain lines, because it was the position or the exact phrasing that gave certain scenes their impact. THAT's what's missing for me, and they don't get that. All they hear or see si that we are complaining because it isn't exactly like the book.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

^^^ Well said!!

In the tent scene they switched lines? Oh man. Why would they do that?? (And how could they do that?) The characters are who they are. Oh man. I'm going to try not to think about it too much. (Good thing I haven't read Eclipse in about 6 months so I won't be able to notice all the differences. Hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it. *crosses fingers.*)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

I saw the emotions in Twilight to some extent, though I thought they could have been more consistent. They showed scenes where they spent a lot of time talking but we couldn't hear the words...in her room, in the tree, while Edward is explaining about his family. I know they could have put an extra 15 min into both movies without hurting the viewers attention and it would have helped the story line greatly. If I could sit through watching all three LoTR extended versions, I could certainly handle 2 1/2 hours of our favorite couple.
I have to agree that the book explains their relationship to be so much more than a mere crush and I didn't quite get that either. Although, I have to admit, I may be projecting some also. In reading Twilight again, we are reading from Bella's perspective and her emotions are not as easily seen because she's so unsure of herself where Edward is concerned. She is after all a human 17 year old. I have read the draft of Midnight Sun, so I've found myself filling in the blanks in Bella's story with Edward's side... :oops: Maybe that's why the emotion in the movie doesn't seem to cover what we know is there. How do you portray a high school girl and a enduring love story on screen with all of it crossing over? Don't those two phrases contradict each other to some extent? :?

Where is it that they switched line in the tent?
Grayce
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

I know it can be done, I have seen it done. I am not saying that they never connected in the movie and were emotionless the whole movie. I am saying that I didn't see the connection between as much more than like a HS fling or crush. I saw it more in NM in their scenes they had together. But to me they seemed more distant and cold. So far it seems that way in Eclipse to in the few clips I have seen. I know very well how relationships work and body language and all that. It's all going to be in someones perception. That is just how I saw it.
I think she was saying she is worried they will switch scenes in the tent scene, not that they actually did. At least that is what I thought when I read it yesterday, I might have read it wrong though.
StacieElizabeth
Settled in Forks

Post by StacieElizabeth »

So the worry is that the emotions that we feel in the book between edward and bella aren't conveyed as well in the movie? I think that in the first movie they were really good considering it was the first movie and they were all new to each other. In the second movie edward obviously wasnt in it as much BUT i thought that kristin played the heartbroken part very well, i mean i really bought that she was literally torn apart because edward had left her.
TIME PASSES, EVEN WHEN IT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE
Piece of forever
Settled in Forks

Post by Piece of forever »

Oh I truly hope the emotional aspect of the book will be correctly translated onto the screen. I mean, sure it will be great to see the epic action battles, and the cool special effects, and such. But to me, what really will draw me to the movie, what really drew me to the books, is the love story. Bella and Edward’s love story. I want this to be right, above any other aspect of the movie.

I wish so much that they can read the love story in all its depth. That they can see the emotional relationship between the three main leads is not just the typical teenage love triangle ("oh, which boy is Bella going to choose? Which one is sexier, the pale-skinned, bronze-haired vampire or the russet-skinned, dark-haired werewolf?"). I hope they (and with “they” I mean the screenwriter, director, actors and anyone else involved in this particular angle of the movie) will be able to dig deeper and see that the choice Bella is making is so much more enormous, so much more final, so much more... vital than that. I don’t really even care if they have Bella spend more screentime with Jacob, that the strength of their friendship and their bond is abundantly shown, as long as we the audience realize that in the end, Jacob is in this particular story a representation of Bella’s humanity, her human past, present and future life, which she’s finally and ultimately...kissing good-bye (literally and figuratively) to follow the only possible path her heart recognises, with her only soulmate and true love.

That’s my main fear for Eclipse the movie, that they won’t get that right. In fact, seeing the posters and promotions I’m quite scared that the main characters’ emotional journey might be mainly reduced to that, to the typical teen love triangle. But I have hope, really.
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

oh god they've messed with the tent scene really???!!!!??!!!! :evil: seriously there is absoloutely NO need for that to be touched its awesome as is!! gah once again i despair!! hate that new clip with bella getting on the bike as if that would happen?! as if edward would let that happen and as if his reaction would be that calm!!
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
misskiley
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by misskiley »

^^^
I'm in total agreement!! As if that would EVER happen. The only reason Bella went and saw Jacob the first time was because Edward was gone in the first place,.. And plus, I'm guessing E&B were on their way into the school, which would mean what.. Bella was ditching to go on a motorcyle ride with Jacob?! It doesn't even make sense!
bored by the sea
Hanging Up on Jessica
Location: United Kingdom where the weathers like Forks pretty much alll the time

Post by bored by the sea »

well there is that section of the book where bella "escapes" with jake when Alice is looking after her/keeping her away from the wolfpack whilst edward is gone but thats a totally different part and doesnt happen with edward anywhere near. twi fans have asked a question about this in their meeting with Stephenie im intrigued to see what her answer is going to be
"If your life was all you had to give your beloved, how could you not
give it? if it was someone you truly loved"- Breaking Dawn
**TEAM EDWARD**
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

bored by the sea wrote:well there is that section of the book where bella "escapes" with jake when Alice is looking after her/keeping her away from the wolfpack whilst edward is gone but thats a totally different part and doesnt happen with edward anywhere near. twi fans have asked a question about this in their meeting with Stephenie im intrigued to see what her answer is going to be
I was actually just about to post about this. I can't wait to see what SM's answer is going to be!! I hate how they can't release it until after Eclipse comes out!! They also asked about the Hot/angry Edward. (I assume they meant the "I kissed Bella" clip. Which I don't particularly like but they said in the question they asked they said some fans do like it.)
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson