Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Review Time: I liked the Eclipse movie!

Post by December »

This is a thread where you can talk to other fans about how you loved the movie and generally squee.

Please remember that this is a review thread, not a discussion thread. If you felt differently about the movie, there's a suitable thread for you to post your own review on. Please be respectful of others' opinions.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Review Time: I liked the Eclipse movie!

Post by Jazz Girl »

Other than two glaring writing errors (I REALLY can't wait to see SM's thoughts on the fracked up motorcycle scene now)I was in utter bliss last night!! I purposely tried to go in with very low expectations. I knew Rob & Kristen would be fantastic and even Taylor (despite me hating his character with a fiery passion I can at least admit the kid's not bad). But it was the tone of the film I was most concerned about. Would David Slade be able to bring the love and life along with the horror and fight? The answer? A resounding ABSOFRACKINGLUTELY!!!

One thing this movie did for me was tone down clueless selfish Bella and give her if not more altruistic motives, at least more understandable ones. In stead of appearing callous and clueless about Edward's feelings, there was a true sense of being torn. This was mostly Kristen's doing, in my opinion. Her interactions with Jacob were infused with a sense of inevitability.. a "why are we still discussing this" attitude that made even her most questionable of dialogue with him seem less about a love triangle and more about a sense of "why should this even matter".

My fears about Summit promoting Jacob as the tortured hero with only concern on his mind did not become realized. Jacob was still just as much a manipulative child as ever. Although they did leave out THE key scene where this is demonstrated, I was ok with the way he came across.

Rob as Edward... Holy Christ on a Camel's Hump. I was in awe the entire movie. I will not lie. When Rob was quoted in an interview as saying, "it's like playing a whole new character", I was way way worried. But, I hang my head in shame. I should have had faith in our Rob. He absolutely brough Edward to life, charging him with all those emotions that we know boil so close to the surface. Time and time again, he commanded subtle emotions and brought the entire case with him. The proposal...Sweet Jesus' sandal straps!! He was just downright amazing and I was moved to tears. So earnest. So just.. in love. And, OH MY EDWARD, the final battle with Victoria. FierceWard owns me, lock, stock and double barrels.

I can't even believe I'm saying this, but I even have to give Melissa Rosenberg credit. Other than the two previously mentioned glaring OoC moments between Bella & Edward & Jacob, she very effectively brough this story out of Bella's head and into the rest of the world. I will say there were a few too many double entendres at serious moments and I'm not a fan of canned laughter. But, overall, her strongest effort. And, I do not hesitate in saying getting praise for her from me is like performing a root canal through the nasal passages.

But, all honor and glory MUST go to David Slade. Welcome to the Twilight community, David. You have truly earned your place in it. There isn't enough high praise I can give him at this point. So, sir, I thank you.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
saw93
Wandering Through Town

Post by saw93 »

OMG OMG OMG this movie was freakin amazing. I think they did everything perfectly! this is the first movie ever, out of any books i read that turned into a movie, that i felt was just as good as the book. The transition from book to screen was flawless! overall no complaints :-D OH and im really happy that punching a wolf actually hurt her this time haha!
You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours." ~ Edward Cullen Eclipse
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Caryn, you have summed it up quite nicely....

I'm in eclipse heaven,.... seriously... I have now seen it 2 times... the first one after the marathon I was clapping laughing and giggling .....

Second time was more emotional, I had more time on looking and following more properly...
here are my comments...

- Jasper....MY Dear Lord... the southern accent, wow... the looks, the half smile... the emotions when telling Bella his story...I'm so loving him....

- Rob as Edward....wow just wow...the tent scene, he looked so hot...ah well actually most of the time...I loved the beginning....

- Kstew... did a great job...I think her character could have been better in showing the triangle but that has to be blamed on the script...

- Charlie..OMG I loved Charlie...specially with "the talk" amazing.....Bella playing the V-card....

- General script... it was good...a few things I was really bothered with...but it was made up by the amount of Bella/Edward romance...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
navarre
Finding Stuff in Billy's Trunk

Post by navarre »

Jazz Girl wrote:Other than two glaring writing errors (I REALLY can't wait to see SM's thoughts on the fracked up motorcycle scene now)I was in utter bliss last night!! I purposely tried to go in with very low expectations. I knew Rob & Kristen would be fantastic and even Taylor (despite me hating his character with a fiery passion I can at least admit the kid's not bad). But it was the tone of the film I was most concerned about. Would David Slade be able to bring the love and life along with the horror and fight? The answer? A resounding ABSOFRACKINGLUTELY!!!

One thing this movie did for me was tone down clueless selfish Bella and give her if not more altruistic motives, at least more understandable ones. In stead of appearing callous and clueless about Edward's feelings, there was a true sense of being torn. This was mostly Kristen's doing, in my opinion. Her interactions with Jacob were infused with a sense of inevitability.. a "why are we still discussing this" attitude that made even her most questionable of dialogue with him seem less about a love triangle and more about a sense of "why should this even matter".

My fears about Summit promoting Jacob as the tortured hero with only concern on his mind did not become realized. Jacob was still just as much a manipulative child as ever. Although they did leave out THE key scene where this is demonstrated, I was ok with the way he came across.

Rob as Edward... Holy Christ on a Camel's Hump. I was in awe the entire movie. I will not lie. When Rob was quoted in an interview as saying, "it's like playing a whole new character", I was way way worried. But, I hang my head in shame. I should have had faith in our Rob. He absolutely brough Edward to life, charging him with all those emotions that we know boil so close to the surface. Time and time again, he commanded subtle emotions and brought the entire case with him. The proposal...Sweet Jesus' sandal straps!! He was just downright amazing and I was moved to tears. So earnest. So just.. in love. And, OH MY EDWARD, the final battle with Victoria. FierceWard owns me, lock, stock and double barrels.

I can't even believe I'm saying this, but I even have to give Melissa Rosenberg credit. Other than the two previously mentioned glaring OoC moments between Bella & Edward & Jacob, she very effectively brough this story out of Bella's head and into the rest of the world. I will say there were a few too many double entendres at serious moments and I'm not a fan of canned laughter. But, overall, her strongest effort. And, I do not hesitate in saying getting praise for her from me is like performing a root canal through the nasal passages.

But, all honor and glory MUST go to David Slade. Welcome to the Twilight community, David. You have truly earned your place in it. There isn't enough high praise I can give him at this point. So, sir, I thank you.

You have me excited, Caryn! I'm going Saturday with my daughter to the matinee.
I had heard the tent scene was well done, so that is a relief.
Now, let's see what Bill Condon can do with Breaking Dawn this fall.

P.S. you should be a Movie Reviewer - wonderful post! :)

"Caryn's Corner" For reviews on all things movies, books....Twilight Sagacentric. ;)
Paranormal/Romance/Adventure Addict
TammyAZ
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by TammyAZ »

I agree!! "Caryn's Corner"....we need a new thread mods!!! Not only does she give great reviews, but she has expanded my vocabulary to include some great euphemisms, and I have learned alot about different deities footwear :)

"You will always be the most beautiful thing in my world" ~~Edward Cullen
Banner by me :)
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

TammyAZ wrote:I agree!! "Caryn's Corner"....we need a new thread mods!!! Not only does she give great reviews, but she has expanded my vocabulary to include some great euphemisms, and I have learned alot about different deities footwear :)
Christy & Tammy~ :lol: Thanks, ladies. I just call them as I see them. ;) I think my review on the HH Annex is probably a little better. This one, I was still riding my high. But, I absolutely appreciate the love. :D

That being said, I thought I would add just a note or two about a few things I overlooked...

Jackson Rathbone~ simply shined in Jasper's expaned role. I was completely enthralled by everything he brought to Jasper's backstory and his obvious connection with Ashley just.... so perfect.

The Music~ was amazingly done. Once again, Alexander Patsavas found a great balance between the perfect genre bands and blending their music into the movie. There was one bit of song placement that bothered me and that was Let's Get Lost. I was also a little saddened that my absolute favorite song off of the soundtrack, Heavy in your Arms was not actually placed in the film. I absolutely LOVE the tone and feel of it and think the lyrics are perfect for Bella and how she see's herself in relation to Edward. Howard Shore's score is fantastic, mixing traditional orchestral and heavier rock and blues to completely compliment not only the soundtrack but the feel of the movie. Music can make or break a movie for me and this did not disappoint.

Missing Scenes~ Overall, there were really only two scenes I can think of that should have had a place. The first is Jacob using his thoughts to torture Edward after the return form Florida. That part of that scene establishes a lot of things that I think we lose out by not seeing. The second is Bella's time crying over Jacob. Even if they had included only her not being able to continue driving and Edward coming to find her, that could have given us key insight into Bella's full consideration of her choices. Bella was absolutely resolute in her decision and we know this. But, her mourning process shows us that while she knows she is gaining so much more, she at least recognizes that there are things she's sacrificing as well.

“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Overall I was really pleased w/the movie. DS pleasantly surprised me. I was really worried when I found out he would be the director for this movie. Like already said there are some things I wish hadn't been changed etc. The only other scene not mentioned that I was really looking forward to seeing was the two best Alice moments!! Begging Bella to let her plan the wedding. Ad then when Bella goes to tell Alice that she can that Alice already has a dress for her. I can't really add to what's been said & I'm not as good as a reviewer & good w/words as Jazz Girl. I seriously can't wait to see it again!!
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I loved it. As Caryn has said, only a couple scenes that were all crazy and not cool!

I LOVED me Jasper! I was so excited to see how much he was in this! And him on a horse AND a southern accent? Yeah, if I had been standing, I would have fainted!

This si definitly the best out of them all!
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
egaeci
Learning to Love Green

Post by egaeci »

My expectations were so high that before I went to the cinema I thought that no matter how good the movie was, I was bound to be at least a little bit disappointed. But I left the theatre with a big smile on my face - it was really great. The pace might have been a little bit too quick, and sure there were moments I missed - mostly Jacob things actually: vision of Bella and Jacob with kids, leaving-Jacob-is-a-hard-choice-to-make, and also the end w Jake running off - there were so many moments from the book that they did include, and they did it really good. Hats off for David Slade! And hats of for the actors - really great acting from the main trio, and I loved to see a bit more of Jasper. And to see Edward looking really dangerous... oh my. Riley was great, loved the Volturi Seattle scene, the camp fire-legend telling was great (which isn't easily made since it's boring in the book!), I even liked Victoria. The footage, especially in the meadow, just... wow. The music was a bit too downplayed though, or maybe I just didn't have time to listen to it because I was so preoccupied with everything else going on.

So this is where the "can't it be June soon?" changes into "when is the DVD coming - me neeeds it!!"... ;)