The Love Triangle - did the movie make you feel differently?

Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

The Love Triangle - did the movie make you feel differently?

Post by December »

Many people report that they feel differently about the book characters and the characters as they come through in the movies. Some even consider themselves to be one Team for the books and another for the movies. So did you feel differently about the love triangle in the movie? If so, do you have any idea why?

This is NOT a thread for Team sparring, or debating who is better for Bella, or whether Bella behaved badly, or which actor is hotter. It's for talking about how the movie affected your reactions to the love triangle.

And please remember that this is a subject people feel very passionately about! Be respectful of each others' opinions and feelings. WE MEAN THIS.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: The Love Triangle - did the movie make you feel differen

Post by RebeccaCullen »

There were several times through out the movie I wanted to smack Jacob and I was left even more annoyed by the character.

After Bella willingly kissed Jacob before he went into the fight, when the camera showed Edward again, I felt really sad that Bella kissed Jake.
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

While I've always felt that Edward was the only one who handled the love triangle maturely during the book, the movie made me think that Jake was trying hard too. It's something that's hard to express with just words; text can be misunderstood, emotions misread, intentions misunderstood. But by seeing it all played out, seeing Jacob struggle with Bella's choice and Edward's coolness through the whole thing, I have a lot more respect for him. Sometimes it's easy to forget that Jacob its still young and partial to irrational behavior in the face of love, but having this chance to hear his words while taking in his expressive face really helped. I gained a lot more respect for the kid.
saw93
Wandering Through Town

Post by saw93 »

Not only eclipse but new moon also made me think differently about the love triangle. As i read through the books I was edward all the way. He seemed more meture and gentlemen like about the whole thing. In the movie i did see that jacob was in love with bella way more than i thought. I think that it had something to do with actual seeing the pain jacob was going through at the end of each movie (especially eclipse). The movie made me feel that either way bella chose she would be the luckiest girl in the world and live a happy life it just depended on what life that she chose to lead.
You are the only one who has ever touched my heart. It will always be yours." ~ Edward Cullen Eclipse
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

I will say that I am team Edward all the way, but the movies New Moon and Eclipse have taken my hate for Jacob and turned it into feeling bad for him. While watching Eclipse there were times when I thought oh just choose Jacob, stop making him feel so unwanted (just a few short seconds of course) ...Right before the Jacob and Bella kiss scene when he says maybe he could just kill himself...In the book I was very much thinking "what an a$$ I can't believe he would stoop that low" but in the movie I felt horrible for Jacob, I think it was being able to see him in pain vs. me picturing it in my head...This all ended the second they showed Edward, I almost cried, I felt so bad for him, the expression on his face was more gut wrenching than anything I could have imagined. I also felt bad for Jacob after he got hurt in the fight and the talk afterward between him and Bella...Although I cried during this portion in the book, I think (had I not been anticipating the crying scene in the truck with Bella and Edward (that NEVER came)) I would have felt even worse for Jacob again. All in all I am still team Edward, but am truly looking forward to Jacob getting to be happy, which in the books I could have really cared less about after reading Eclipse.
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

After reading your guy's thoughts I feel like I'm the only one who the movies hasn't affected my thoughts/feelings on the love triangle. Maybe it's because Jacob just bugs the heck out of me in Eclipse & makes me so mad that it doesn't matter to me how it's portrayed in the movies. I wish they had portrayed more the way he is in the books though. For example w/the first "kiss" he doesn't basically attack her like in the book. And then afterwards he's not cocky about it. I've never really felt bad for him & even after seeing the movie I still don't. And my love for Edward is still the same.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
SwanCullen
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by SwanCullen »

I felt kinda bad for Jacob in the movie. In a way, I could see how he would and Bella would be great. Yet I could also see how her and Edward are perfect. I just feel that the movies make me a bit more Jacob/Edward confused!
:grin: Proud HalfwayHouse Sister :grin:
Seasons Of Love-A Rosalie/ Emmett story
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

The movie didn't change my opinion on the love triangle.
But, if I wouldn't have read the books, I would have had a different opinion about it...

My sister was with me and never read the books. She felt bad for Jacob, but didn't entirely 'get' Bella.

It wasn't clear in the movie, that Bella really could see a future with Jacob. That, in the end, she was really torn by having to hurt him that much. Bella wasn't as crushed by all of it like she is in the book.

Maybe I'll feel different when I see the movie again...
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

The love triangle~ Did the movie make you feel differently?

Absolutely NOT!! This was actually a HUGE concern for me going in to the film. Summit and MR did a great job coming out of NM setting Jacob up in much more of a tragic hero role; the dependable loving friend who just wants Bella to live and who's willing to do what he has to to save her. All the teasers and scenes that we got going into the premiere did nothing to allay my fear. Mostly, it was the way the scenes were cut and presented. The post-assault-kiss confrontation is the perfect example. In the book, Jacob is completely cocky about it, totally remorseless and underhanded. But, the brief glimpse we get from that trailer was of Jacob looking like he might actually regret his actions. The full scene in the movie played out much better (thank gods).

In the novels, in my opinion, Jacob just can't accept Bella's choice. He is manipulative and underhanded and totally remorseless about pushing and pushing and pushing with Bella. While I didn't see that as strongly as I would have liked to in the film (the missing emotional torture scene might have added it), it was definitely there. I've never seen Jacob's motives as ALL about saving Bella, but more about her choosing him over Edward. And that came through really well.

Even the more open and emotional portrayal of Edward really contributes to playing out the triangle well. Even though we see a more human Edward, more open to his feelings and reactions, it never goes to far. We always know that his first and primary concern is Bella's happiness and safety. Yes, he's threatened by Jacob and he doesn't want to lose Bella. But, Rob's portrayal of Edward's emotional journey is such that you never lose sight of his primary focus. Despite giving in to his 17-year-old emotions, his much more mature head will always keep him focused.

What I actually liked about the love triangle in the film was how Kristen/Bella handled things. In the novel, she comes off as totally callous about Edward's feelings, not only seeming not to even realize that she might be hurting him, but even denying him even the right to feel threatened or hurt. In the film, it is presented much better. Kristen's portrayal of Bella communicates a sense of inevitability. Every interaction with Jacob is infused with a feeling of, "this isn't even a question, so why are we even talking about it." And, with Edward, in stead of not allowing him to feel threatened, it's more a sense of. "we'll be together, but please give me my chance to say goodbye". I can honestly say that I like MovieBella better than BookBella in Eclipse
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Jazz Girl wrote:The love triangle~ Did the movie make you feel differently?

In the novels, in my opinion, Jacob just can't accept Bella's choice. He is manipulative and underhanded and totally remorseless about pushing and pushing and pushing with Bella. While I didn't see that as strongly as I would have liked to in the film (the missing emotional torture scene might have added it), it was definitely there. I've never seen Jacob's motives as ALL about saving Bella, but more about her choosing him over Edward. And that came through really well.
Errrr...I have to agree. Every single time Jacob sets a new line in the sand, Bella crosses it, and then Jacob says "oh well, never mind", and then he sets a new line. Every. Single. Time. So the movie did not change my mind at all. I just can't forget that if Jacob had had his way in New Moon, Edward would be dead now.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”