Scenes that didn't work for me in Eclipse (SPOILERS)

Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Scenes that didn't work for me in Eclipse (SPOILERS)

Post by Alphie »

Were there any scenes in Eclipse that you felt didn't quite work or didn't show up the way you expected? Talk about the moments that fell short for you and what you would like to have seen done differently.
qrwolf
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Scenes that didn't work for me in Eclipse (SPOILERS)

Post by qrwolf »

Just saw the movie and I gotta say for the most part, David Slade is a genius.

However, some of the scenes didn't play out like in the book and several of my favorite moments from the book didn't make it into the movie.

1) When the wolves come to watch the 1st training session, in the book it was dark & you couldn't see exactly how many wolves there were. Not the case in the movie. It's light and they all are easily seen eliminating Edward's quote, "Prepare yourselves - they've been holding out on us."

2) I would have loved to have seen the part when the wolves are familiarizing themselves with the Cullen's scents and Jacob-wolf looks at Bella with his tongue hanging out of the side of his mouth and she giggles. Not there.

3) Neither is the eye-roll when she asked him if he was scared.

4) Neither is the part where he licks her face "from chin to hairline". :(

5) I was also hoping to see the fist/nose bump between Edward & Seth. Sadly that didn't make the cut either. :cry:

BUT, Edward's "seductive" way of speaking to Victoria and Riley in their battle was almost dead-on. Nicely done.

Those are just the "nit-picky" things I was hoping to see on the big screen, but with everything else that did make the cut, I can live with it.
Image "...You're not asleep, and you're not dead. I'm here, and I love you. I have always loved you, and I will always love you."~ Edward Cullen
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Riley not being set on fire.

TBH, I was hoping there'd be more Seth in either form included. I really wanted to see the Edward/Seth friendship happen.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I just didn't feel it in the last Bella-Jacob scene. Reading the book, I cried, I found it all very sad.
In the movie, especially after the conversation, I would have loved to see Bella driving of, stopping at the road and then Edward is there. It wasn't there. It was the only thing that I really missed, the rest I could live with...
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Yes, the last scene of Bella and Jacob was a bit off...it looked like a scene from MASH....
also the fact that they didn't show Bella crying and being comforted by Edward I really missed....

- also Bella's dream about Jasper being commanded by Victoria to kill her...I thought it was so strange....
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Lirpa
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Lirpa »

Okay so I have just a few misses from the movie and I'm sure that when I see it for a second, third, maybe fourth time I wont mind as much....Don't get me wrong my list of good things is just as long if not longer....Really LOVED the movie as a whole!
Misses
NO kidnapping & NO Alice asking to plan the wedding - I love how the relationship between Bella and Alice grows in this book and it really helps show why Bella lets Alice plan her wedding and be her maid of honor, and it is ALL missing! I am an Alice fan she is my favorite character in the books, so I am sure that is one reason why I am so disappointed that these scenes did not make it into the movie. I really pictured Ashley doing a great job with the pouting "Bella don't you love me anymore" when she is talking to Bella about planning the wedding, and then getting super happy when Bella reluctantly says okay to her. It would have could have been great.
qrwolf wrote: 1) When the wolves come to watch the 1st training session, in the book it was dark & you couldn't see exactly how many wolves there were. Not the case in the movie. It's light and they all are easily seen eliminating Edward's quote, "Prepare yourselves - they've been holding out on us."
My husband pointed this out after the movie, and you are ABSOLUTELY right! He also pointed out that because it was "sunny" and not dark or gloomy they should have all been sparkling. I agree with everything else you said about this scene too, I missed Jacob licking Bella and her giggling when his tongue hung out of his mouth.

Bella riding off on the motorcycle with Jacob...Never would have happened...In an interview MR stated how she felt "her Bella" was more empowered than the Bella in the books. I found that this part came off as her being RUDE! Bella would have never dissed Edward like that. - I understand why it was done this way...it would have drawn out the movie to see how Bella keeps trying to sneak off and see Jacob...but I think it would have been nice to see some of this because we would have seen how truly worried Edward was about Bella's safety with the wolves and it would have showed some of the colluding going on between Jacob and Bella giving the "love triangle" a little more depth. But the movie can't be 6 hours long, not that I would complain if it was ;)

There are a few more little misses, but I understand why they did what they did. I also think (and I may be wrong) but I felt like they kinda jumped around in the book, reorganizing the events and when they took place. I will have to see it again to be sure, not that I mind seeing it again :lol:

Over all I LOVED the movie!!
Team Alice- Seeing the future since 1901
"Because only a vampire can love you forever."
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

Brienna wrote:I just didn't feel it in the last Bella-Jacob scene. Reading the book, I cried, I found it all very sad.
In the movie, especially after the conversation, I would have loved to see Bella driving of, stopping at the road and then Edward is there. It wasn't there. It was the only thing that I really missed, the rest I could live with...
I loved the scene... I'm team Jacob and I can't resist anything that he is in and espcially when he is hurt... But it really did bother me. I wanted Bella to really cry her heart out and it wasn't complete without it...

Didn't like the flashbacks... they sucked (Jasper's was better than the others though....and Rose's was better than the Quiloute one)...

There was no kidnnaping!!!!! WHY?!
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I posted already in the "I've Seen the Eclipse Movie" thread....but I wanted to post here as well...I'm always curious to know if other Twilighters feel the same way I do or if I'm off in left field somewhere! :roll:

Edward being a sort of inadequate fighter. I didn't like it in New Moon, either, but I thought maybe it was because he was up against the Volturi who are such seasoned fighters, but then he was almost beat by Victoria and Riley. He was so much more capable in the books! I also missed the team work between Edward and Seth that was so apparent in the book!!

I wish the end scene wouldn't have been all about Bella offering reasons why Edward isn't the only reason she wants to be a vampire. Her love for him was the only reason she was willing to give up her human life! It spoke to how powerful their love was. I felt like that was so lost in the movie.

I missed Alice getting the Porsche as kidnapping incentive....and I missed Alice begging Bella to let her do the wedding!

Thank you Naureen!!
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

It's been stated, but there were really two major "misses" for me in the film...

1) Bella turns from Edward and leaves on the back of Jacob's motorcycle. It NEVER EVER would have happened that way. This whole exchange was screwed up. We didn't see Jacob enjoy torturing Edward, therefore missing Bella's immediate defense of him, demonstrating her devotion to him above ANYONE else, and also then Jacob refusing to apologize for it. In the novel, no matter what else, Bella's heart and devotion were to Edward and while she acted selfishly at times, she would never willingly stand there and hurt Edward. The end of this scene NEVER would have happened.

2) In camp, prior to the Jacob/Bella kiss, when Bella yells at Edward and goes to Jacob. Again, same idea. In the novel, yes, she was angry and upset, but it was Edward who went after Jacob and brought him back, demonstrating his willingness to do anything and everything to protect and make Bella happy.

I, too, read the interview where MR indicated that she thought her Bella was more empowered. This isnt empowered, it was out of character. These two scenes wreeked of badly written fanfiction. Why this is even more disappointing to me is that the rest of the film was actually some of MR's better work and it's obvious that she stepped up her game for this film. It is sad that these two glaring errors mar it.
Last edited by Jazz Girl on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Jazz Girl wrote:
2) In camp, prior to the Jacob/Bella kiss, when Bella yells at Edward and goes to Jacob. Again, same idea. In the novel, yes, she was angry and upset, but it was Edward who went after Jacob and brought him back, demonstrating his willingness to do anything and everything to protect and make Bella happy.
When Bella spoke to Edward before going after Jacob a not-so-nice word slipped out of my mouth in regards to Bella, tbh.