Scenes that didn't work for me in Eclipse (SPOILERS)

Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Re: Scenes that didn't work for me in Eclipse (SPOILERS)

Post by Jestak »

This is just a little thing, but the way that Bella's "I am Switzerland" speech was inserted--er, shortened and inserted--into the film really didn't work for me. Like a lot of the non-action moments, it was too rushed.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Jestak wrote:This is just a little thing, but the way that Bella's "I am Switzerland" speech was inserted--er, shortened and inserted--into the film really didn't work for me. Like a lot of the non-action moments, it was too rushed.
Completely agree here. Even if they'd given her voiceover lines to her in the actual movie..."this wasn't about rivalry anymore. It was about my safety, and Charlie's." That would have given it a little more context. But, it was almost like MR knew she had to have that line in there and threw it in and what she missed was the fact that it's the DISCUSSION that needed to happen, not just the line.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

tufano79 wrote: Also, I was really hoping that they would have put the "space heater" line and references to the St. Barnard in the tent scene.
I wanted that one in there too...along with the next morning with Bella asking Edward for help getting out of the sleeping bag and he says "Did you want me to take his arms all the way off?". I loved that one.
I agree about the Switzerland speech. Needed to have something else in there. And Bella going to get Jacob instead of Edward...in the book, the scene was more profound because he wasn't in his human form. Edward's comment about "not fighting fair" and then laughing at how devious Jacob was willing to be about it. Then Edward tells her, "...when I left you, Bella, I left you bleeding. Jacob was the one to stitch you back up again. That was bound to leave it's mark - on both of you. I'm not sure those kinds of stitches dissolve on their own. I can't blame either of you for something I made necessary. I may gain forgiveness, but that doesn't let me escape the consequences."
That explanation shows Edward's true nature and unconditional love for Bella. It would have added so much to his character in the movie. The way they played it out made it seem like her kissing Jacob was something she shouldn't have felt badly about and had she not already said yes to marrying Edward, I might have bought it, but she had said yes. And that just isn't Bella for me. Even the more outspoken, stronger Bella in the movie would have felt remorse for this betrayal.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Last edited by GrayceM on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeamBellaAllTheWay
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamBellaAllTheWay »

What was up with the whole Bella leaving Edward and driving off on Jake's motorcycle? It didn't happen like that, lol. It looked so ridiculous.
Also, what's up with Edward's facial expressions. Is it just me or does anyone else find them really weird. He's like constantly squinting or something.
They missed out loads of important scenes with Bella and Jacob. Also, they missed out the bit in the final scene with Bella and Jacob, where he says "I would have been better for you, healthier. I would be like the air, the sun," as well as the line where he refers to Edward as an 'eclipse.' How could they? That's what gave the title the significance!
Apart from making it a bit too cheesy (though no less than to be expected) it was a good movie. But in my opinion they focused a bit too much on the whole 'love triangle' thing rather than the individual relationships Bella has with Jacob and Edward.
AND, the final scene was pathetic. What the hell was Bella on about with all that "I always knew I wasn't normal" crap?! They tried way too hard...she never even says that. They got it totally wrong there. Her reason, and ONLY reason for wanting to become immortal is to be with Edward for eternity, that and nothing else. Prior to meeting him, she would never have dreamed of immortality. That's a central concept and I can't believe they messed that up!
And yeh the Switzerland line on its own didn't work...left the audience confused and awkward. Loads of funny bits were left out too. BUT I loved how they showed Bella relating to Jacob as a wolf that was nice. Jacob's character was portrayed a bit unfairly too.
Volterrian
Wandering Through Town

Post by Volterrian »

I am still waiting for the Non-fanfic version of The Twilight Saga to come out. I mean geez.

Looking back over the movie I had some serious complaints about the writer's biases to Jacob. ANY redeeming scene Edward would have had during the movie was either edited to make him look like a piece of crap or cut completely to make Jacob the fan favorite.

People have mentioned this, but the bike scene was so stupid because as stated she wouldn't do that. They cut out that after Bella got back from Jacob 'rescuing' her after he said it was better she be dead that Edward tells her he is not gonna force her to stay away anymore, letting her chose, showing his trust in her and her decisions. In the movie he is just an overbearing boyfriend who is to controlling.

I honestly figured the kidnapping scene would be in there to show all the cullens were to controlling, give more kibble & bits for team jacob fans to chew on. The writer has ruined the movies for me and for many people that I know are fans.

I have talked to people who have just seen the movies, they hated twilight because of them. I talked them into trying the books.. now they are fans...

Other scenes that were changed I didn't like. Jasper not mentioning he left Maria and was struggling with his killing of humans. The arrival of the wolves.. at least make it dusk or something, though this was not a big deal since by then we new Seth and Leah were in the pack which was the pay off for the whole scene. I didn't mind the Jacob lick or anything like that. But the joke about always wanting a dog was funny. No scene with Angela to show Bella feeling regret about her choice and what it would cost her, but I guess that worked with her mom. The collage stuff with Edward trying to talk her into a better school, but that would make him look good so they dropped it.

The fight scene was ok, I didn't like how they made the vampires break apart like porcelain dolls when hit.They do say they are like Crystal but they more often refer to them as hard as granite so the glass like look of shattered limbs didn't work for me. I always pictured them as fighting more with bites using their fangs to tear at the other's bodies, hence Jasper's many many bite marks. And of course the camp fight scene.. Edward's voice was not seductive.. he yelled for her to come back.. having victoria run around instead of moving in a fast pace half circle dance with Edward, Edward not ripping off Riley's arm showing he was a capable fighter, handling one vampire and still seriously injuring another vampire while distracted. Seth and Edward's nose bump and Seth's bigger role in the fight.

the last scene with jake needed to go better.. I am a jacob fan but I don't like how they portray him in the movies.. Jacob's charm comes from being the underdog (No pun intended). The line about the eclipse could have been there but was not needed really... the scene were Edward asked bella if she is sure of her choice after her bawling all night should have been in there.

As always sorry for the rant.
R.I.P - Jacob Black [Died August 2nd, 2008](Page 360, Book 2, Breaking Dawn)
TeamBellaAllTheWay
Settled in Forks

Post by TeamBellaAllTheWay »

I liked how they did the flashbacks when stories were being told, especially the one with the third wife and the Cold Woman and the spirit wolves... just how I imagined it :D
Janie
Settled in Forks

Post by Janie »

Though I like the movie as a whole, there are a few scenes that I miss or that could have been better. For example they completely ingored Edward's sparkling in the sun and sometimes his ability of mind reading. Then there is the famous "Bella and Jacob motorcycle scene". What was that supposed to mean?! This is so out of character :evil:
I am not fan of Jacob, so I don't like that Bella forgives him everything too easily. Like when he tells her that "she'd better be dead" or after their first kiss. Sometimes I have a feeling that MR is his big fan :?
The "Swittzerland" quote was absolutely out of place. If I hadn't read the book, I would have been really confused.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Janie wrote:I am not fan of Jacob, so I don't like that Bella forgives him everything too easily. Like when he tells her that "she'd better be dead" or after their first kiss.
That, actually, is consistent with the books (for once). Bella is forgiving of people she loves, and Eclipse (the book) has multiple examples. There's the point (forget the exact circumstances) where Bella tells Edward "I'm going to let Jacob off the hook" for something he did, and Edward says, more or less, "I knew you would."
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Jestak wrote:
Janie wrote:I am not fan of Jacob, so I don't like that Bella forgives him everything too easily. Like when he tells her that "she'd better be dead" or after their first kiss.
That, actually, is consistent with the books (for once). Bella is forgiving of people she loves, and Eclipse (the book) has multiple examples. There's the point (forget the exact circumstances) where Bella tells Edward "I'm going to let Jacob off the hook" for something he did, and Edward says, more or less, "I knew you would."
Ironically, t is actually one of the reasons I like MovieBella slightly more than BookBella. IMO, MovieBella doesn't give in and allow herself to be manipulated AS MUCH as BookBella. BookBella infuriates me at times in the way she just let's Jake off the hook over and over and over and over and refuses to believe he has any ulterior motive. But, the moment Edward has any kind of reaction, she's jumping down his throat and telling him how unreasonable he's being. Snaps my teeth together something fierece.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Janie
Settled in Forks

Post by Janie »

I know that she forgives him easily in the book too but in the movie she isn't even angry with him. Or at least I haven't noticed.