Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Missing lines and where you would put them

Post by bac »

Are there lines from the book that you would have loved to have seen in the movie? Where would you have put them in the movie?
by Laniyeah on photobucket
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Re: Missing lines and where you would put them

Post by Jazz Girl »

There is one that I think is a universal concensus:
"For the first time in almost a century, I felt hope" Would have worked great just after Alice and Jasper's kiss.

"You are one frightening little monster." Pefect either before or after their training fight.

Bella's explanation to Jacob about why she loves Edward. I don't have my book so I can't quote it perfectly. But, after Jacob says something stupid about her being attracted to his looks and money. Bella says something to the effect of, "I don't care that he's beautiful or rich, I wish he weren't either. It would close the gap between us just a little bit. But regardless of his looks and his money, he is still the most unselfish, giving and downright good person I know. I love him Why is that so hard to understand?" I'm not sure where, with the script we got, it would have fit. But, in the novel it happens when they are talking before she tells him about the graduation deadline and he tells her she'd be better off dead.

“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
vegasirish
Settled in Forks

Post by vegasirish »

I guess this isn't a line so much as a little scene, but the missing wedding invitation at the end bothered me. I've been thinking about it and I think the invitation could have been left out but the feeling of loss that sends Jake off on his own could have been handled by tacking on a couple of seconds at the very end as Edward and Bella are in the meadow and having Edward look over her shoulder (as the music is playing) to make eye contact with the Jacob wolf amongst the trees and mouthing "I'm sorry" at him. Then a look of hurt on the wolf's face before he turns and runs through the trees...pan up with the camera over the trees into the distance as Metric's song is playing.

A line I also missed was Jacob telling Bella as they are discussing her choice of Edward over him that "He's like a drug to you." This would've brought full circle the heroin comment by Edward in Twilight; they really are "addicted" and totally necessary to each other.
diane771
Red-Eyed Vampire

Post by diane771 »

I can't believe that the line as Alice jumps down from the tree on to Jasper's back and says "Gotcha" the camera was on her face too. Disappointed .
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/rules-dont-stop-me
http://neverthinkningcom.ning.com/video/i-dont-care0001
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I missed the title explanation..

When Bella talks to Jacob at the end in the book he says,
"Clouds I can deal with, but I can't fight an Eclipse..." I missed that one...

There were many more...

like when Edward asks Bella why she wants to become immortal, when he is insecure about her feelings for her...

and I really missed a lot of Alice's lines...
"Stupind thieving annoying vampire." Bella
"What did I do?" Alice
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
AvidDreamer
Settled in Forks

Post by AvidDreamer »

I know this is supposed to be a PG-13 movie, but I don't see why...

"I love you. I want you. Right now."

...didn't make it into the movie. This was one of my favorite lines from Eclipse because Edward seems at his most 'human' when he's showing Bella just how much he needs her in the meadow at the end. The line is much more important in light of the fact that we know Edward is a virgin too... so I guess that might be why they took it out? I don't remember him saying earlier that he was like he does in the book. :?

Meh, that whole last scene was done poorly in my opinion and there were many missing lines throughout the movie, but maybe I should just go see it again. I liked Eclipse, but I'm waiting to love it.
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

The "I can't fight an eclipse" line being missing was the biggest offender for me.

Aside from what's already been said above, there's also Alice and Jasper's reminiscing over their initial meeting.
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Jazz Girl wrote:There is one that I think is a universal concensus:
"For the first time in almost a century, I felt hope" Would have worked great just after Alice and Jasper's kiss.

"You are one frightening little monster." Pefect either before or after their training fight.

I agree with both of these and also with Alice's "Gotcha." Another one I really wanted was "Nice teamwork."

The thing about all of these lines is that it would have been so incredibly easy to include them in the script as it was written, without adding anything appreciable to the running time that Summit seems to have been so obsessed with.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

I really wanted Edward's "Don't watch" line just before Bree is destroyed. The scene felt so much colder without it. :(
ringswraith wrote:The "I can't fight an eclipse" line being missing was the biggest offender for me.

I totally agree. Eclipse's title is one of the most important in the series as it adds not only to Bella's feelings, but Jacob's as well, about being overshadowed by someone else in the eyes of the one you love and not being able to stop it. The title had more depth to it then the other three's did, I think, but it was totally glossed over this time around. Seriously not cool.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

misspikaboo wrote:I really wanted Edward's "Don't watch" line just before Bree is destroyed. The scene felt so much colder without it. :(

I missed that as well. Especially after reading Bree Tanner and seeing the silent communication between the Bree & Edward, seeing that it was truly meant for both of them.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS