Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Bree Tanner ~ Her importance in the movie

Post by bac »

Does Bree Tanner play a more important part in the movie than you expected? Tell us what you think.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Re: Bree Tanner ~ Her importance in the movie

Post by misspikaboo »

Something I found interesting about Eclipse the movie was the amount of material they used that was found only in BT. My sister, who hasn't read BT yet, was constantly asking me little questions.

For one thing, I was surprised in the amount of back-story and screen time they gave to Riley in the movie. All-in-all, he's one of those characters we don't learn a lot about in Eclipse and who dies during it's conclusion, so I never gave a lot of thought to him before Bree Tanner came out. But because Riley is depicted as the leader of the newborns in BT, while Victoria only a shadow leader, there was a lot more emphasis on him. I think it really added to the mystery for the movie that they focused on Riley and his apparent newborns; Who is this Riley? Why is he creating an army of vampires? What is his connection to the Cullens? By playing up Riley's role it throws off people who'd never read the books and didn't know of Victoria's involvement. So, thumbs up for that.

The Volturi. I LOVE the scene they added in where we seen Jane in charge of the group sent to investigate the Seattle newborns. It's something we wouldn't have known without BT, but this is the first time we see the true colors of the Volturi as they do despicable things while hiding under the false image of protecting vampire society. I thought they would do the scene where Jane and the gang meets up with Vicky herself, but the director really wanted the audience to be kept in the dark about her involvement with the newborns, so they had to go a different path to show this vital information about the Volturi - and they did a wonderful job with it. Again, another thumbs up.

And now a not-so thumbs up. Random camera panning to Bree Tanner herself with no explanation. Yes, we kind of understood who she was because of BT and her importance in the movie comes out later, but were the random shots really necessary? Only in one of the early shots of Bree did her appearance have any importance and that was when Riley was mumbling about her needing to stay alive because he "needed numbers". So they gave no back-story for Bree (heck, they didn't even give her name until the end) those close-ups of her face among the other newborns would just confuse people who didn't read BT; as far as they know, her only scene from Eclipse is her death.

I really liked that they added in things from BT, but some of them might no go over so well. There were a lot of things you wouldn't get unless you read BT, but because it's still a fairly new novella, the timing wasn't too great for the wide selection of fans. I know a ton of people who are only just now picking up the book, so the BT references went right over their heads. :/
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I totally agree.

I expected a lot more of the person Bree. The rest of the things were well incorporated in the movie.

But, you know... I kind off felt that it wasn't necessary for the actress playing Bree to have read the Bree book. For that character alone, the book didn't give anything extra. She had so little screen time, you didn't get the insight in Bree that the book did. Jodelle would've done just as well without having read the book.

My sister didn't read any of the books, so to her everything was clear, although she had other explanations than I knew the right ones were at points. So focusing on Riley felt natural for her, but she did immediately realize Victoria was behind it.
I think that if you're a fan of books and movies and you've read the books already, it would be smart to read Bree Tanner before the movie too. Otherwise you could get confused.
But if you haven't read any of the books at all, it wouldn't be confusing. (apparently, since my sister wasn't confused).
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

Brienna wrote: But, you know... I kind off felt that it wasn't necessary for the actress playing Bree to have read the Bree book. For that character alone, the book didn't give anything extra. She had so little screen time, you didn't get the insight in Bree that the book did. Jodelle would've done just as well without having read the book.

My sentiments exactly. Couldn't have phrased it better myself.

Her only "big scene" was when she is about to die, but they cut a lot of her importance in that scene too. She became a background character, with her only validity in the scene to accent Bella's perceived future as a newborn. I dunno, I guess because a lot of this scene has to do with what is not said rather then actual dialogue, but it seemed like, in the case of the Eclipse movie, Bree Tanner might as well have been another faceless vampire.

Also to be noted here, I was really sad that Edward's "Don't watch" line was cut because I was curious as to how this line would be worked as EC and BT give two different views of it. If they had pulled it off right, it could have been a wink towards the knowledge Bree provides Edward with secretly.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

misspikaboo wrote: Also to be noted here, I was really sad that Edward's "Don't watch" line was cut because I was curious as to how this line would be worked as EC and BT give two different views of it. If they had pulled it off right, it could have been a wink towards the knowledge Bree provides Edward with secretly.
Yes, definitely. It would have fit in to the movie, what's one more line and two more shots, right? :lol:
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Yeah I thought it lacked Bree a lot... just because SM has told us to read the Bree book before seeing the movie...

I was disappointed by the fact that she stood quietly almost next to Bella...
I had Expected her to be more violent towards Bella..more hungry...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

marielle wrote:Yeah I thought it lacked Bree a lot... just because SM has told us to read the Bree book before seeing the movie...

I was disappointed by the fact that she stood quietly almost next to Bella...
I had Expected her to be more violent towards Bella..more hungry...
I couldn't agree more. Bree was on the ground by the fire, with Jasper hovering over her. There is NO WAY a newborn could have stood next to a bleeding Bella.
DramaPrincezz013
Wrestling With Emmett
Location: Bouncing back and forth between Forks and Mystic Falls

Post by DramaPrincezz013 »

I just rewatched the movie. They don't even mention her by name in it at all. Had you not read Eclipse and/or Bree Tanner, you would have no idea who she was. And I agree with everything that has been said so far.
The ListV2~Apple::::Mafia~Eva DiMarco::::On bunches of teams!
"You're the closest to heaven that I'll ever be, and I don't wanna go home right now." </3
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

I liked Jodelle as Bree but it was nothing like I expectedor imagined...It was shorter and I think that she needed to be a little more "depressed" cuz she just figured out that her love was murdered a long time ago and she didn't know. And she needed to be a bit more frightened...

And Bella never asked Alice about the newborn thing so it's like Bella didn't really notice her and it has no resembllance to what could be her in a few months...
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Considering how little screen time she actually got, I thought that Bree should have been cut from the movie, with the exception of the final scene, anyway. There wasn't enough time to develop her, and I can't help feeling that since they could spend so little time, it would have been better to leave her out as much as possible.