Discussion of The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

Moderator: bac

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Eclipse DVD Extras

Post by December »

A thread for discussing Eclipse DVD extras.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Eclipse DVD Extras

Post by Suzan »

Thanks for this thread! I requested it because I just finished watching the eclipse dvd and I was kind of really disappointed with the exta's. The audio commentary and the making of were great! But I felt sort of cheated on with the deleted and extended scenes.

There were some scenes that I really missed, because I heard the actors/writers/director/producers etc. talk about them and then they didn't make it onto the dvd. For instance the scene where Rosalie is on her way to attack Royce and she (as Nikki Reed discribed it) 'glides' through the building in her wedding dress and then there is this bit where she calls to Royce from behind the door. There is a bit of it in the making of and it's great and creepy. I would have loved it complete in the deleted scenes. If you listen to the commentary, there are a lot more of those little scenes that got cut. Now I know they can't show everything and some of them were probably not good, which is why they weren't in the movie. But it just seems to me that they could have given us more.

One other thing that really annoys me is that DS is constantly talking through the deleted scenes. I can't hear a word their saying! :x It's fun and all to hear him talk about why the scenes were cut, but if you put them on the dvd: I want to see the scene! I have the two disk DVD version and I was just wondering if everyone has this on their version (is it the same on the blue ray or in the US)? Or maybe there is some function where I can turn it of that I haven't found yet? Does anybody know if there are versions without him speaking, because I would really like to see them. Especially the one with Angela and Bella.
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

I also have the two disc version. I think that you can turn off the audio commentary on the menu screen. I didn't want to watch all of that stuff yet so when that screen came up, I just turned off the commentary and went straight to "Play all" on the Extended/Deleted scene option. The opening has DS talking but then it goes right into the scenes.

I'm with you, there are scenes that I've heard the actors talk about filming all along that I expected to be in the deleted scenes or extended...I'll have to go back through and look again to be more specific. I felt a little cheated myself after all the clips and talk that there weren't more. Maybe when I get to the other extras.../sigh. At least I didn't have to buy 4 copies to get all of it this time. ;)
Grayce
Sherwood
Settled in Forks

Post by Sherwood »

I am finally digging into a few more of the extras now myself - mostly because I don't want to ask any stupid (aka "already discussed") questions during the convention this weekend.

I watched the movie with Rob and Kristen's commentary - hilarious, but I feel that they really needed Taylor there to round it out because I am sure tidbits were missing.

As far as the making of, I enjoyed seeing the bits about Jasper and Rosalie's stories, but where was the love story in all this. One of the biggest moments of the entire book - maybe the series - wasn't even discussed. Where is Edward's proposal and Bella's acceptance? For me, that is a major oversight.
21Twilight21
Lured By the Scent
Location: Trying To Decide Between Edward, Stefan, & Dimitri <3!

Post by 21Twilight21 »

I loved the Robsten commentary!! I thought they were hilarious :)!
I agree that there should've been more deleted scenes! There was so much left out that would've bern nice to see!
The proposal and engagement was such a big deal in the book! I would've loved to see Alice throughout all of that! We should've heard more about when they were filming it too! I remember hearing Rob say how that was the hardest part to film so it would've been nice to have more behind the scenes info about it!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

I did some research on Dutch fansites and found out that at least in Holland (maybe also in other European countries) al the DVD's have deleted scenes with DS commentary that can't be shut of. So thanks Summit and I guess Warner Bros who distributed the DVD here, for leaving me with no other option than Youtube and the big D. I'm not about to order another copy from the US just for those few minutes of deleted scenes and I probably can't even play it here because of region codes. :x

Anyway, I saw the scenes without commentary and I really like them. The Angela-Bella scene was great, but I can see the point in cutting it out. I coudn't think of a place where it would fit in the movie and it is also not really explained why Angela is in Bella's room. It wasn't anywhere in the movie that Bella would help with the graduation invitations and then they are just sitting on the bed with a bunch of cards in front of them. If I hadn't read the book, I wouldn't have known what that was about.
I think it is a shame that they cut the "keep the window closed" scene. It is such a key moment.
The Switzerland comment felt rushed and just sort of shoved in to it. Like they were thinking "It has to be in there but we would much rather cut it out". The extended scene was much better. It explained the comment more and maybe the voice-over afterwards would have been unnecessary.
Sherwood wrote:I watched the movie with Rob and Kristen's commentary - hilarious, but I feel that they really needed Taylor there to round it out because I am sure tidbits were missing.

As far as the making of, I enjoyed seeing the bits about Jasper and Rosalie's stories, but where was the love story in all this. One of the biggest moments of the entire book - maybe the series - wasn't even discussed. Where is Edward's proposal and Bella's acceptance? For me, that is a major oversight.
My first thought while listening to the Rob-Kristen commentary was actually that it would have been nice if Taylor was there as well. Whenever the three of them do an interview together the dynamics between them are just fun to watch. Plus I really like Taylors sense of humor. :) Regardless, Rob and Kristen did a great job and as you said, it was hilarious.

I think the reason for the proposal scene missing in the making-of, is that it probably was a closed-set shoot. It is one of the more intimate scenes and I can understand why they wouldn't want an extra camera around and an interviewer interrupting them while they are concentrating on such an emotional scene. But I agree that it would have been nice to see something about it even if it was just from the general interviews.
FF profile: Suzqnv5689