INTERNET SAFETY DO'S AND DON'TS

LEXICON DO'S AND DON'TS - BE SURE TO READ BEFORE POSTING!!!
Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

INTERNET SAFETY DO'S AND DON'TS

Post by Pel »

An issue came up when we first opened two years ago that gave us pause for concern, and so we're here to set a few guidelines for posting at the Lexicon. Believe me when I say that I hate having to say this as it totally makes me feel like everyone's mother, but I have to protect the users here.

Please, for you safety and that of other users, do not ever give out your real name, address, or phone number here at the lexicon. Do not ever post a photo of yourself. Be careful in what sorts of descriptions you use when describing yourself or your situation where you live.

Never use your birthday, a family member's birthday, or a family member's name as part of your password. It's too easy to crack and to have someone steal your identity.

Folks, we live in a sick world full of dangerous criminals. Twilight is just the sort of fandom a predator might become interested in simply because it attracts young teenage girls. Please be careful with the kind of information you give out! I would feel so badly if anything posted here at the lexicon ended up being used against one of the members here in a bad way. Be smart about your posts and about who you chose to be friends with on-line regardless of where you meet them. You never know what an on-line friend is like until you meet them face to face, and then it may be too late.

If you do decide to meet up with an actual fan, you are always taking a risk. To better protect yourself, do the following.

1. Only exchange cell phone and not home phone numbers.
2. Meet in a well-lit, public place during the day, like the mall.
3. Always have at least one other person with you.
4. Make sure you call someone to check in at pre-arranged times.

IF SOMEONE CAN'T AGREE TO THOSE TERMS, DO NOT AGREE TO MEET THEM!