Introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
StarryEyed
Settled in Forks

Hello! Help me please! :P

Post by StarryEyed »

How did you pick your screen name?
I like the singer Ellie Goulding and really like the song Starry Eyed at the moment.

How did you come to read Twilight...
I friend suggested I read i. The rest is history I was hooked!

...and which book is your favorite?
Probably breaking dawn!

Who do you like best: Edward, Bella, or Jacob?
Edward! I like the fact he is a real gentleman.

Who is your favorite minor character?
Carlisle.

Where are you from (general area like Montana, not exact town!)?
Ireland. Its forks-ish! there is a lot of cloud and rain in general, vampires would love it! :P

How old are you? (In general, like teen, 20's, 30's, 40's etc)
20's

Anything else you would like to share?
I am doing my thesis on teen girl fandoms in critique of Twilight. I want to understand if there is a deeper meaning behind the hysteria for the majority of fans. What does Twilight mean to you? does it teach you anything? What kind of role does it play in your life? I am exploring the construction of the female fan in the media and if there is more behind the "guys are hot" screaming girls and general hysteria that seems to be associated with the twilight saga. So if anybody wants to make a comment or answer any of the Q's I hope to answer I would really appreciate it! thanks.
n0vaice
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy
Location: On a beach, half dipped in a beautiful blue sea, under the summer rain. Waiting for YOU to kiss me.

Re: Hello! Help me please! :P

Post by n0vaice »

Hi!Welcome to the lex.
I'm Karl, hope you like it here.
Catch you around the boards.
PM me for anything, anytime :D
ÖBLF = GennyÖ∩WA∩ΦMed StudentΦÜHanny's grand frere܃ Karl Valentino Brassi ~ Mafiaƒ
ΘSami, Rose, Fatima, Raven and Mimi are my Twi-GirlsΘΩTetrarch of LexicalliaΩ
Jestak
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Jestak »

Hi, StarryEyed, welcome to the forum from a fellow newbie.

Good luck with the thesis. I'm definitely the wrong demographic to be answering your questions, but I'm sure people would be glad to reply to you by private message.
"May the hinges of friendship never rust, nor the wings of love lose a feather"--Scottish blessing
copper curls
Welcoming Newbies with Cheers and Emmett-hugs

Post by copper curls »

hey, and welcome to the Lex! :D

I’m copper curls ~ feel free to PM me anytime, if you have a question or just want to chat.
Also, you can PM with questions about your thesis - I'd be happy to help in any way I can, and could ask friends of mine some of your questions, if you would like.

If you have any questions about the site, you can check out Alcyone's Guide to the Lexicon, our Site Philosophy, or the Posting Regulations.

hope you enjoy the site & I’ll see you around the boards!

~ cc
PM me for this stamp! | Cam is my TwiTwin | EDC/CS & OC | Mafia Mentors | Asst. Manager CCB&B | Team Leah | APPC Platinum Member | Welcome Wagon | MSV
SethisMine
Official Dog Lover!

Post by SethisMine »

Hello! Welcome to the Lex! I hope you have a great time around here, I know I do. :D
Oooh, I am able to help you if you need it. This sounds like it could get pretty fun and interesting. :D
See ya around,
~Nicholle :D
ImageImageImage
Survived the Twi-Lex Odyssey
daydream222
Settled in Forks

Post by daydream222 »

Hi!

I am also studying the Twilight Saga phenomenon and writing about it for my Masters thesis! I am studying many of the same elements as you among other things. We should compare notes! And welcome to the Lex from a fellow newb! :D
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Welcome to the Lex. That is interesting that you doing a thesis on Twilight. YOu will enjoy it here it is a fun and friendly forum. c-u around the board.
Banner by TammyAZ
pennybug84
Protector of Jacob's Honor

Post by pennybug84 »

Hi. I'm Jen

Welcome to the lex, it's a fun place to be! :D

And if you would like come join us on the Team Edward & Team Carlisle threads.

See you around the boards

And if you've never been, I highly suggest visiting Stephenie Meyer's website. She has a lot of fun stuff there like FAQ's for all the books & some outtakes that didn't make it into the final draft of the books.
"She doesn't know what she wants" - Jacob Black "Yeah she does!" - Rob Pattinson
selle
Settled in Forks

Post by selle »

Hello StarryEyed :D

I am Selma, and I am also pretty new here :D But if you need any help about thesis u can pm me :) I find it very interesting doing thesis on Twilight.. So I'd like you to contact me (:

I'm sure you will have fun here, this is so amazing and ADDICTIVE place :)

See ya around the boards ;)
*Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs.*
VirginiaMay
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by VirginiaMay »

Well, I am not a teen any longer, nor can I sit down and talk to my friends' teens about Twilight for long at all without earplugs... :lol: BUT, I have a theory about the draw the saga has. I am not sure how it relates to the media and merchandise phenomenon that is all things Twilight, but here it is:

Edward is a model of a savior. He is the embodiment of perfect eternal love to Bella, who tells the story. The young (and not so young) girls reading it, relate to Bella. They can feel her, and therefore they feel what it could be like to have a perfect, unconditional, eternal love within their grasp.

In Twilight, they feel what it is to have their heart captured and their soul prized as a treasure. They uncover the promise of an everlasting love which cannot be lost even to death. In New Moon, the readers can feel the betrayal of having that love and promise ripped away, and then they feel the miracle of true reconciliation and forgiveness. In Eclipse, they learn that love does not come without sacrifice, that choosing the path less traveled means setting yourself apart from the rest of humanity and living with the consequences.

Breaking Dawn sort of screws me up with my theme here, but it should be the model of re-birth into new life and eternity united with your savior; the lover of your heart and defender of your soul.

No matter your personal faith, I am a big believer that we are all made with a sort of God-shaped hole in us. It shows up in the way that we seek out love and try to find purpose for our lives. It's why we seek to transcend the temporary trappings of this life and grasp on to something permanent and unchanging.

I believe many people, teenage girls especially, are driven by the longing that is a result of that space in our hearts. They want it filled with acceptance, love, and permanence. They want to know that no matter how bad they screw up, they will be forgiven, loved, accepted, even fought for when they are too weak to fight for themselves.

Edward embodies all of that to many readers. He loves Bella, he accepts her even when she falls for Jacob or refuses to marry him, and forgives any pain it may have caused him. And let us not forget, that he fights not only for Bella's physical safety, but also for her heart and her very soul. By loving, forgiving, accepting, and fighting for Bella he allows the reader to experience that in some small way.

And holy cow! To have someone love you that much? To have the promise of forever and eternity in a tangible, physical body that holds you when you're scared, carries you when you're weak, and kisses you when you just can't take it anymore!? Who wouldn't be swept away? I was! And I'm a grown woman!

I really thought I was losing my mind for a few days, but was relieved to find that there are many other women who felt the same way I did. I just spent a lot of time thinking about WHY it was that I felt soooo strongly about a book, and a vampire book no less!

This theory of mine is my best answer. It's some unspoken longing that comes from a place deep within the heart that can only be fulfilled by one thing.