Introduce yourself here.
Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Vekja
Settled in Forks

Me, Myself, and I

Post by Vekja »

How did you pick your screen name?

It's a reference to an obscure book series and some of my weirdest fanfiction.

How did you come to read Twilight and which book is your favorite?

I read Twilight when a friend of mine said they were the most fantastic books ever. I was slightly underwhelmed, but didn't really have much of an opinion. I reread them recently, and realized they ... weren't to my taste.
KEEP THIS IN MIND: My intention is not to troll. I will not attempt to convince anyone that the books are terrible. I am not here to instigate or persuade. I am perfectly able to accept everyone's opinion. If you (for example) like Edward, that's fine. I understand that Edward has/could have qualities that are wonderful, and it would be amazing if real boys had those qualities. I will not try to convince you that Edward is awful. That is not my intention.
I am not here to troll.
My favorite is New Moon, because in my opinion some of the characters are at their best (sympathetic, logical, etc).

Who do you like best: Edward, Bella, or Jacob?

Jacob in the first part of New Moon.

Who is your favorite minor character?

Leah Clearwater or Charlie from New Moon.

What are your hobbies?

I write high/middle fantasy novels and scripts, and play Minecraft and Skyrim.

Where are you from (general area like Montana, not exact town!)

The western coast of the USA.

How old are you? (In general, like teen, 20's, 30's, 40's etc)

Teen.

Anything else you would like to share.

Hmmm. I feel part of the reason I might not "get" the series is that I'm asexual, and have no interest in romantic relationships. I don't like Alice. I really, really don't like Alice. I can pick out parts from each of the books wherin Jacob, Bella, and Edward each acted in ways that were logical and sympathetic (a step up from most antis, I'd say).

Once more, with feeling: I AM NOT HERE TO TROLL.
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Me, Myself, and I

Post by December »

Vekja wrote:Hmmm. I feel part of the reason I might not "get" the series is that I'm asexual, and have no interest in romantic relationships.

Yup. I have to agree with you there -- as far as I'm concerned, what Stephenie does breathtakingly well is romance: capturing the heady thrill of being in love. Compared with that, I've always found her secondary characters, world-building, action-drama etc. pretty flat. (I know there are other people here who get more out of them, but for me the romance has always been the entire point). But my goodness, when it comes to telling an elemental love story, she's got few equals. Please note, I use the word "elemental" advisedly: Twilight is an archetypal, mythic sort of love story: you're not going to get realism or fine-drawn, novelistic detail and character here. This is boy meets girl, and the real protagonist, you might almost say, is their love. That's what the story is about. Not saying there's nothing more to these books than a dippy love story -- I'm (notoriously) inclined to argue they've got an elaborate moral subtext -- but it's transacted through Edward and Bella's romance.

So yeah, if romantic relationships don't interest you, even in books, Twilight would probably not be your cup of tea!
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

Hello and welcome to the Twilight Lexicon!

I’m Openhome, and I’m one of the moderators around here. I'm afraid there isn't much action on the boards any more, but we'd love for you to post on the threads here. Below is the normal welcome, but please don't feel as if it isn't a very real welcome. We are all glad you are here.

We are so pleased you have chosen to join us! The Lex is a large site and can be very confusing at first. To help you navigate through the threads better, please be sure to check out the Welcome Forum and take a look at the threads there. You can begin at the Before You Start Posting thread. This topic contains a wealth of information on how to use our boards.

If you have any questions about posting here, there are three forums set up for you. Newborn in Seattle has a long list of helpful hints and FAQ’s. If you have technical difficulties, go to For the Accident Prone. The site’s rules and policies are found in the Don’t Irritate the Volturi thread. Please be sure to familiarize yourself with them!

If you have any other questions, you can contact any of the moderators by sending them a Private Message (PM). Moderators’ names appear in green. You can also go to the Communing with the Pack forum to ask questions or give us feedback.

See you around the boards!
Openhome
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Hi and welcome!