Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
johnbriner
Settled in Forks

Re: Breaking Dawn Movie, Take 1

Post by johnbriner »

I want to see how they will make the birth scene, I wonder how would they creatively do that like what the book was portray.
Alphie
Blame me for everything

Post by Alphie »

Just wanted to jump in to discuss why Edward is throwing Jake against a wall. I don't know exactly what is going on in that scene but I think I have a good idea. If you pause the picture at just the right moment, you can see that Edward has blood on the side of his mouth and on his chin. Blood. Hum... And then a second later in one of the shots of Jake flying across the room you can spot quite a bit of blood on Edward's shirt. (Yes, I realize I have watched the trailer too many times in freeze frame mode.) I think that scene is just after Nessie has been born and Jake has imprinted on her. I think Edward has wiped up his face enough to get Bella's blood off of him and walked out to see that the baby is doing okay only to hear in Jake's mind that he imprinted on Edward's daughter. Hence, he tosses him across the room. We don't have that scene in the book since it happens while Bella is transforming. We hear about it later, but it couldn't have been pleasant. I think this is Bill Condon and Melissa Rosenburg taking liberties as to what exactly happened in that moment. And I think it's probably right!

I mean, consider the fact that Edward has just ripped open his wife's stomach (even though her body is all broken anyway) and pulled out his daughter who was near death from trying to get out of the womb. Then he had to bite his wife over and over again to get enough venom in her system fast enough so she would transform and not die. Then, once she seems settled, he walks out to check on the daughter that may or may not be fine only to find his mortal enemy is going to essentially be "bonded" to her for the rest of ETERNITY.

I think I'd be inclined to chuck someone across a room, too.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Alphie wrote:Just wanted to jump in to discuss why Edward is throwing Jake against a wall. I don't know exactly what is going on in that scene but I think I have a good idea. If you pause the picture at just the right moment, you can see that Edward has blood on the side of his mouth and on his chin. Blood. Hum... And then a second later in one of the shots of Jake flying across the room you can spot quite a bit of blood on Edward's shirt. (Yes, I realize I have watched the trailer too many times in freeze frame mode.) I think that scene is just after Nessie has been born
Laura, I agree so far with you... I'm impressed that you actually did watch it freeze frame mode, I still have to do that...so I didn't notice the blood ...
But I rather think that Edward is pushing him away when Jacob is about to give up on Bella... in the book SM says Edward pushed his hands away, breaking a few bones in the process. I can imagine Bill and MR taking the liberty to make the scene even more dramatic like that...
although I do love your imprinting theory, I really hope they stay true to the book and have Edward's focus be with Bella ...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
funkidiva
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by funkidiva »

I wondered about the whole pushing jake into the wall scene too and what you said Alphie makes sense and is a possibility. I didn't notice the blood however so will go back and look at it in freeze frame mode :)
"And so the lion fell in love with the lamb" "...What shoes had Alice put me in? Stilettos? She'd lost her mind..."
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Alphie,

That’s a good guess, and you bring up something else as well. There are a lot of missing moments in BD, and I know that some of those are going to be filled in for us, and the delivery scene is going to be one of them. Not a lot of fun just seeing it through Bella’s eyes since she’s either unconscious or in the throes of burning pain. I am hoping, though, that SM, as producer, will be giving her stamp of approval on them as a way of further developing her canon of the story. She is going to have some very interesting interviews once this finally hits the big screen.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

I haven't watched the trailer very many times, but I do know how they twist things around in these movies. I also recall that the trailer "teasers" sometimes show scenes that are cut from the theatrical showing. Keeping that in mind, it would be possible that Jacob is being thrown into the wall during the birth. The other situation that I'm thinking of is when Rosalie "loses her focus" and Jacob has to shove her away from Bella. This could have been changed so that there's a different atmosphere also.

There's also the scene at the wedding. Since the wedding is outside now, maybe they changed it so that Jacob comes to the door and he and Bella are talking in the house instead of dancing outside. To me, this would make more sense because no one is supposed to know Jacob is back and the windows in the house act like a mirror with the lights on outside. It would be more difficult to hide that scene in the backyard, where everyone else is. But that's just my opinion. So, they have the wedding and reception outside, and the reception goes much the way the book relates until Jacob shows up. Bella goes into the house for her surprise wedding gift and they talk. When Jacob learns that they plan to have a "real" honeymoon...there's a very tense standoff in the book that could have been changed.

I remember thinking that they didn't put the scene in Eclipse when Edward throws Jacob around in the tent the next morning, so maybe they are going to bring their characters back around to the way Stephenie wrote them a little more afterall.
I'll have to watch it some more to be sure and get on the computer at home. I can't watch video at work.

I am very excited about seeing him clutching the headboard though. :swoon: I'm sure the feathers will be in there too. I don't believe that anyone would let them get away with that not being put in, but especially with Stephenie being so involved.

As far as the Volturi being "invited", I'm thinking that this may have been the scene when Alice sends them the wedding announcement to delay Caius sending a hunting party. This was why Aro sends the necklace and note about seeing the new Mrs. Cullen in person. They try to delay that so they can make plans for Bella to go to Italy.

I'm sure it will not be all we hope, but I'm still excited because I'm thinking it will be closer than the rest have been...maybe...hopefully...
I was sort of hoping to see that scene of them in the ocean with Bella swimming with the dolphins and Edward sitting on the beach because they won't come near, but that would have cost a lot more than them playing chess...
I'll be happy with what we get.
Last edited by GrayceM on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grayce
VolturiGirl
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by VolturiGirl »

marielle wrote:But I rather think that Edward is pushing him away when Jacob is about to give up on Bella... in the book SM says Edward pushed his hands away, breaking a few bones in the process. I can imagine Bill and MR taking the liberty to make the scene even more dramatic like that...

I watched AngryWard scene frame by frame and their is blood on his shirt. On his face, I couldn't really tell. It looked like a shadow, but it is a dark scene. I think that it is the part where Bella is dead and Edward pushes Jacob away, so I agree with Marielle.

I do like the wedding outdoors though. "So what if the sun breaks through the clouds" you may ask. In Twilight, Alice said that it is easier to predict the weather. She did say "it's time" and then the thunder rolled. If Alice knew when the thunder clap was going to happen, don't you think that she would also know if the sun would peek through the clouds or if it did, arrange the wedding around that?
Banner by Tammy AZ

Aro, Caius, Marcus
The Original Godfathers
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

marielle wrote:I'm really impressed with the soft color scheme that is shown in the trailer. i hope they keep that troughout the movie...
oh yeah, and big thumbs up for showed Renee and Charlie recieving the invitation!!! they captured their feelings perfectly!!!
Cayana wrote:The reactions of Charlie, Renee and especially Jake are spot on and the wedding card is simply perfect.

I loved that they showed the reactions of Charlie, Renee, Jacob and even the Volturi to the wedding invitation as well. We don't get those scenes in the book (except for maybe Jacob's chapter at the end of Eclipse) but they captured these characters really well and I think those scenes were perfect to use in the trailer. What I really hope for though is that we also get to see Charlie's reaction when Bella and Edward tell him they are engaged. I love the moment he bursts out laughing saying: "Fine, but you have to tell Renee!" (or something like that) and I hope we get to see that too.
I loved the coloring too. It's soft but at the same time it seems brighter. Bill Condon is definitely not afraid of a little color, especially in Renee's shot, and I like that. I felt with the previous movies they took it a little too far with the whole one-color-throughout-the-entire-movie thing (I have no idea how to describe that, but you get what I mean right? Twilight=blue, NM=brown, Eclipse=dark blue/green?). It became a little monotonous in my opinion.
Only thing I don't like after watching it a thousand times is the music. I think it would have been more fitting for Eclipse or BD2, you know with a little more action. The music to me says tension, suspense, conflict, battles of epic proportion etc. But other then the two scenes of Edward vs. Jacob and Demitri vs ??? (more on that later) it's really not about that. It's romantic, joyous and -I'll give them that- a little shocking at the end with the pregnancy, but definitely not a lot of fighting. I think they sort of went for that The-event-you've-all-been-waiting-for type music, but for me it just doesn't fit the story.
Alphie wrote:If you pause the picture at just the right moment, you can see that Edward has blood on the side of his mouth and on his chin. Blood. Hum... And then a second later in one of the shots of Jake flying across the room you can spot quite a bit of blood on Edward's shirt.
My thought's exactly, although I wasn't really sure it was blood at first. I thought is was just my imagination or the terrible video quality on my computer in combination with the dark lighting of the scene. So I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it. :D Really good points on what the scene could be, Alphie and marielle. I guess we'll have to wait and see what it's about but at least we narrowed it down to two options. And I really like both of them.
But, what about that shot of Demitri vs Mystery Girl? It looks like it's the same girl that brought the wedding invitation to Aro. But who is she and why is Demitri throwing her around like a rag doll? Am I missing something here?
VolturiGirl wrote:I do like the wedding outdoors though. "So what if the sun breaks through the clouds" you may ask. In Twilight, Alice said that it is easier to predict the weather. She did say "it's time" and then the thunder rolled. If Alice knew when the thunder clap was going to happen, don't you think that she would also know if the sun would peek through the clouds or if it did, arrange the wedding around that?
I absolutely agree. And I so love the wedding outdoors. It looks gorgeous so I don't really mind that it's not exactly like the book or the possibility of sun which, as you said, would never happen on Alice's watch.
smitten_by_twilight wrote:the headboard bit is my fav because it's scorching hot.
Uhm, yeah definitely. :swoon: *mind in gutter* :oops:
GrayceM wrote:I'm sure the feathers will be in there too.
They have to be right! But I'm sure they will, because one of the first (was it the first? I can't remember) pictures Bill Condon sent out into the fandom was Bella's hand holding the feathers. Remember?
GrayceM wrote:I was sort of hoping to see that scene of them in the ocean with Bella swimming with the dolphins and Edward sitting on the beach because they won't come near
That's a good one! I would love to see that too. Another vampire-quality that didn't get translated from book to movie.

MTV awards: :banghead: My VCR didn’t work. Stupid old thing! Luckily I foresaw this disaster and also asked my parents to record it. They do have digital television and a DVR, probably with better quality as well. But this does mean I have to wait until the weekend to watch the entire show. (In case you are wondering: I’m a student living near the university during the week and going back to my parents home on the weekends.) I did try to watch all the Twilight related stuff through the videos on MTV.com and I absolutely loved what I saw so far. So even though this is no really the thread for it, here are my thoughts so far. Feel free to skip.
smitten_by_twilight wrote:The intro is very funny and the Twilight jokes were good this show!
I couldn't agree more. There were several videos where I literally rolled to the ground laughing. Just to name a few: "I riped your head off. And now you're pregnant!" :lol: Rob kissing Taylor and then running back to take Kristen backstage. :lol: Rob's entire speech to Reese :lol: :lol: "Natalie, sorry but the popcorn is mine!" :lol: (Can you tell I only watched the Twilight related stuff?)
I actually liked Jason's intro. It was much better than Queen Latifah, that was just embarrassing. :roll: At least Jason called her Kristen and not Bella. I loved all the acceptance speeches as well. They reminded me of all the reasons why I love the cast. They're humble, funny, awkward at times and I can relate to that. They're not these perfect public figures who do everything for a little attention and I absolutely LOVE them for it. Did you guys see that Kristen took her heels of and had some sort of white flats on? Love her! I can just imagine the torture of having to wear those heels all night.
I’m so happy they won all those award. It feels sort of like revenge for all the stuff that didn’t even get nominated like the best line or the way hotter make-out session on the bed. (Seriously, I love the meadow scene but come on, the bedroom scene totally toped that.) It was sad to hear that Justin Bieber Edit: sorry it was Chloë Grace Moretz from Kick-Why are we talking about a donkey? won breakout star over Xavier. If there was one award that deserved to go to Twilight it was that one. Xavier did a phenomenal job in Eclipse.

Wow, this is one MEGA MEGA post. Sorry, I just had a lot to vent about all the Twilight goodies, I guess.
Last edited by Suzan on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

I would have to quote everyone, and I presume everyone's following the last page or so, because it's been really fun.

Thank you for jumping in Alphie! You are much higher tech than I am - plus I'm hampered by rewatching the trailer when my kids are asleep and I'm keeping the volume down. I could not slow it down enough to see the blood or even Jake's face clearly, but I will try again using the blogged digital version. [EDIT: Now that I know what I'm looking for, I can even see the blood on regular speed on my DVR.] I think that's a great theory and I seem to remember reading something about that somewhere? But then Edward didn't want to leave Bella's side during her transformation, and he knew what was going on elsewhere in the house without going there ... whereas he had to be with Bella to be sure about what was going on. So then I lean towards marielle's idea, although GrayceM's ideas have merit too. Oh I can't wait to see! :clap: But I have to. :(

corona, you're certainly right about SM's interviews. More DVR material hopefully! (Bigger screen than my computer, although I depend on the blog for lots and lots of stuff. So far behind right now ....)

VolturiGirl, I absolutely agree with you that Alice would know if it was going to be sunny or cloudy. Moving the wedding outside is not a major canon deviation and it really is beautiful. Speaking of the Volturi,Suzan, I wonder if Demetri was shown chucking their receptionist against the wall just to emphasize their lack of regard for human life - not only do they live off humans, but they also kill them (wow, US) gratuitously.

I noticed last night (rewatching) that the headboard scene was not in the blue room but in a white room with gossamer drapes around the bed (tore my eyes off the focus of the scene just long enough :swoon: ), so it looks like they're combining rooms, maybe ... limiting the destruction. (Yes I am gutter minded, since early adolescence. It's a lot of fun!)

Suzan, so sad that your VCR let you down! It sounds like you have caught a lot of it though. I am lucky to have a DVR here, right next to my computer, so I can watch over ... and over ... and rewind and pause ... great fun! I loved all the acceptance speeches even while I writhed with embarassment sometimes ... really, sometimes I think Rob does it on purpose, especially messing up the joke that they used a few times on the interview circuit, so the whole theatre could hear sweet Reese, mother of two, let THAT WORD out into the air! Loved the Best Kiss kiss, perfect way to keep Taylor in the loop! Although I totally agree with you that the bedroom kiss was much more memorable. And really loved Taylor's acceptance of the last award, and how he held up under screams from the audience. I didn't notice Kristen's shoes, so I'll have to watch for that when I watch again tonight :clap:
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

I just thought of three other scenes that could have Edward throwing Jacob across the room! First, when Jacob brings Charlie to the house for the first time after Bella is transformed. Everyone is pretty upset especially Edward.
"Edward moved then, darting across the room to get in Jacob's face. Though he was half a head shorter than Jacob, Jacob leaned away from his staggering anger as if Edward towered over him."
The second was when Jacob first comes to the house when Edward and Bella get back from the honeymoon. He is fired up and ready to start killing but has to have proof that the treaty has been broken.
And the last I thought of was after the first hunt. Jacob is more hesitant than anyone to let Bella near Renesmee and then when Bella finds out that he's imprinted on her...she loses it even breaking Seth's shoulder and collarbone when he tried to get inbetween them. Edward kept apologizing to Seth for not being quicker...since they have cut out so much other stuff, maybe they just have Edward shoving Jacob away from Bella instead of standing away from her so he won't get hurt.

In watching the three previous teaser trailers, there is a scene in each of them that did not make it to the theatrical version. This may just be one of those. :? Teasing us to make us rethink what we thought we knew about the books. I'm thinking they shot many different scenarios so they could cut and edit as they wish. Most of these options would be in the 2nd movie so they have plenty of time to change the scenes if something in the first doesn't fit well. It will certainly be interesting to learn how that part fits in...if it does.

EDIT I just remembered that some of those scenes would actually be the second movie. Maybe the part when Jacob first gets to the house to see that Bella is still human. I don't think it would have been Edward figuring out he's imprinted unless they really changed it up. Edward doesn't leave Bella's side during the "burning". He tells Carlisle that they will sort it out later. The only time he lets Bella out of his sight is when Rosalie takes her to the bathroom or to take an x-ray. And then only because Rosalie won't let anyone near her for quite a while.

I'd like to add that Charlie and Renee getting their invitations was a bonus but I do hope they show them telling Charlie. Charlie is so close to crying. He's such a good actor and the emotions are so clear on his face you'd think he was actually her father. And Renee is just "Look Phil, they are finally going to make it official and she's so happy!
I like Edward's hair being "fixed" for the ceremony also. It makes him look younger.

One other thing I noticed...where is Alice? She's supposed to be the maid of honor and she's not standing in front with Edward. Are they still not going to show how close Alice and Bella are?? Though I did notice that Esme was standing next to Carlisle... :?
I LOVE the flower canopy. Even if the sun decided it was coming out, there's no way it would get through that. :clap: And Stephanie and the rest being included in the guests. That adds an amazing touch to it. Especially when you know that the wedding was the last scene they shot.
Can't wait! Can't wait!
Grayce