Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Re: Breaking Dawn Movie, Take 1

Post by corona »

Tornado wrote:Thanks for that link, ER!

There's a link to an interesting video with RPatz on the TL blog. He talks about his reaction, when reading the book, to Jacob coming to dance with Bella at the wedding. He was really ticked off about it! And apparently he changed a line in the film because he just couldn't bring himself to say the line that they gave him (I don't blame him!) and then he goes off to dance with Tanya, who (I'm happy to hear) apparently does flirt with him at the wedding. Hopefully Bella gets jealous!
That would be "Australia's The Dirt" interview linked on the blog.

Thanks for pointing that out Tornado, or I would have missed it. Those comments come right near the end of the clip.

I think I posted a joke here before about Edward dancing with Tanya when Jacob shows up. Looks like Rob had enough of Jacob and put his foot down.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

No worries, corona. I found that quite insightful, and I was glad that Rob had the sense to point out that Edward's selflessness, certainly if he used the line in the script, is a little ridiculous at this point. Although I suppose that there could be an element of gloating in Edward's decision to let Jacob have a moment with HIS WIFE, especially since she is, by then, his wife, and clearly out of Jacob's reach. Not that Jacob seems to pay too much attention to that!
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Well, we have to wait and see if that actually happens. Rob sometimes jokes around, but this didn't appear to be joking around to me.

I can see two good reasons for the change, though. First, Rob is looking at it from a male perspective, and I think he says something to the effect that, yeah, Edward is sort of this perfect man, but come on, enough is enough. And second, the book Edward always has his doubts and does consider Jacob suitable for Bella, but the movies have played up the rivalry more than the complexity of Edward's inner turmoil. The Angryward scene in Eclipse (after Jacob's first kiss) comes to mind.

"Thank you,” Edward said to the darkness. “This is very...kind of you."

I'm assuming it is either this line or a variation on it that Rob said he refused to give.

Although...that line is consistent with him sending the invitation. Now, if they have Edward sending the invitation in the movie but then being put off at Jacob actually showing up, the invitation might also be considered gloating.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I guess he felt (correctly) that the line about it being "the most special gift of all" was just going a bit too far. And even if Edward thinks it's all right for Bella to have her dance with Jacob but it's a bit much for Edward to stand there and watch it, although I would have assumed that he kept an eye out to make sure Jake behaved himself.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Tornado wrote:I guess he felt (correctly) that the line about it being "the most special gift of all" was just going a bit too far. And even if Edward thinks it's all right for Bella to have her dance with Jacob but it's a bit much for Edward to stand there and watch it, although I would have assumed that he kept an eye out to make sure Jake behaved himself.
OK, I think I've got it now. I wasn't sure if Rob's memory was a little faulty about that line of Jacob being the best gift of all, but now that you've written it out, I see it for what it is. That was a variation on Bella's line, not Edward's. Looks like MR was pulling out one of her favorites from her bag of tricks.

Rob's instincts were right. It is an emasculating line that goes much further than the book. Edward himself would never have said it, nor would the vast majority of men. He might have acknowledged it, to himself, if everything had gone well. The most special gift of all, of course, is each of them giving themselves to each other.

And something else, wouldn't that line given by Edward confer moral authority to Jacob's eventual outburst? MR is so clever. :nea:
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I don't think that line would have given moral authority to Jake's outburst. It was just really recognising that Bella would be happy to see Jacob. Edward knew that.

I must confess I'm starting to think that Jake will not get upset in that scene, either. So far, the way everyone's talking about it suggests that the wolves just run off into the woods together. Perhaps they felt his behaviour was too disgraceful, or detracted from the wedding atmosphere. I don't know. It will be interesting to see if it's there.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Tornado, maybe "moral authority" isn't exactly the right phrase, but those words would have given Jacob additional latitude in his dealings with Bella, precisely because once they are spoken they can't be taken back. I have no doubt that if everything had gone smoothly that Edward would easily have acknowledged, to himself, that his appearance would have been the best gift of all to Bella (next to himself). There's no question about that. But, he never would have spoken it aloud, because saying it would have automatically changed the dynamics of that meeting. It is an acknowledgement, by the groom, that Jacob has power over his new bride, to the point that there isn't any use in denying it.

I know this is a minor point, but it's minor precisely because Rob refused to say it (and we're going on his word what that line actually was), so we'll never know how it would have actually gone over in the movie. But my gut feeling is that it wouldn't have been received well. I likely would have taken it as needless and foolish groveling. Some things might be true, but shouldn't be spoken aloud. Just my opinion.

As far as Jacob's outburt being tamped way down, I had suspected that it might, but I'm curious as to any information you have that leads you to believe that they may have done this. You have been a very good source of information.

In my opinion, that final Jacob scene at the reception was open to interpretation by the reader. You know what my opinion was, but an argument can be made that Jacob's intensity was fueled primarily (or even solely) by his genuine concern for Bella's life, and only her life.

However...books are a different medium than movies. The visual portrayal of an event may produce an unanticipated reaction from the audience. My gut feeling was that a canon portrayal of that scene would have produced an overwhelming negative visceral reaction to Jacob, so I always assumed it would be changed.
mary
Buying a Better Raincoat
Location: hanging out w/ Bella, Rennesme, and the other Cullens

Post by mary »

Okay, so I just seen on a post on facebook about the new Bruno Mars video. He's doing a song called "It Will Rain" that's going to be in the movie. I watched the video, and at the beginning, I was like....erm, I don't know about this. But, then towards the middle-end I got into it, and can maybe see it in the movie. But, I'm not sure. What do you guys think? I love Bruno Mars, but I just don't know. Here's a link to the song: http://ryanseacrest.com/2011/11/09/watc ... ong-video/

My main concern with the movie is how they'll do the birthing scene. Gore doesn't bother me, and in the book I loved it (even though it was pretty graphic sounding). But, it is a pg-13 movie, and there will be young kids in it, so they do have to be careful with that.

The honeymoon scene I don't really have any worry about. It's not going to show anything, since it's not R. So, I don't really care....well, I do care, but it's not my main concern. lol.

Overall, I'm just glad they are actually doing the movie, because I remember how there for awhile there was talk that they weren't sure they would do it (back in the very beginning when they first started doing the movies). And, it was my favorite book in the saga, so I was totally hoping they would. Now, that it's 1 week away from being able to see it, I'm super stoked! I just hope they don't disappoint!

"Look after my heart, I've left it with you."
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I don't have time to watch the Bruno Mars one at the moment, but I will watch it later and see what I think.

Yes, I certainly agree that that line seems to give Jacob a greater place in Bella's heart than Edward, and I'm glad that Rob said no. I wonder what he said instead.

With regards to the outburst from Jacob not being in it, I've just heard a few different interviews where people have said that Jacob and the wolves disappear into the forest. It doesn't sound like there's a tussle or that Jacob is being dragged away. I guess that's still possible, but that hasn't been the impression I have got from what they have said. Certainly, if it's in, I think it has been watered down.

I have also just discovered, via an interview with Melissa Rosenberg, that we will hear voice overs of the wolves' thoughts in some scenes. I'm not thrilled with this idea. I think it will come across too cartoony. Hopefully it will come off all right, but it makes me cringe when I think about it.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Tornado wrote:I have also just discovered, via an interview with Melissa Rosenberg, that we will hear voice overs of the wolves' thoughts in some scenes. I'm not thrilled with this idea. I think it will come across too cartoony. Hopefully it will come off all right, but it makes me cringe when I think about it.
Same here, the risk is high for it coming off corny, but we'll see.

Going back thru the interviews I'm picking up things bit by bit. One thing I've wondered is whether we ever get to see Bella finally with the golden eyes, because the book ends just as they are beginning to change. Kristen talks about "yellow" contacts in the MTV interview, so I guess that does happen by the end of BD2.