Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Tornado wrote:Yes, whether we like it or not, Jacob is a major character, and has more involvement in the story of BD than the rest of the Cullens, even Rosalie. He has a right to be there, and he has a following, so he's definitely going to be there. He will be there in part two as well, probably holding/standing next to Renesmee.
Maybe.

I guess a part of me is expecting some sort of admission, for lack of a better word, that Bella and Edward aren't going to be getting any more interferance from Jacob, especially after Bella made her choice at the end of EC. To me, placing Jacob on the same level as Edward and Bella and not slightly behind them indicates that he's going to still try and come between them.

Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Emmettroselover »

I really hope the rating is not an issue and that is just a rumor, but with all the stuff they were talking about in the interviews, I would not be surprised. The MPAA knows that Twilight films target younger audiences so that is a big factor in how they view the film. BD is going to have stuff in it that is going to make it hard for the younger audience to see it, but since they have made it clear it needs to be PG13, it is going to be trying at times for that to happen. I know SM is all for that but like many people have said in the past, she wrote in a lot of things that make it hard to believe the book would be considered PG13. Her birth scene was full of gore, so when she demanded that it be PG13, it was understandable because of her belief system, but also understandable how that could be a problem if the films were canon.

I also wanted to mention the poster since I am not the only one who is not fond of it.....not just here but on a lot of sites. I hate how dominant they are trying to make Jacob/Taylor Lautner. I get making him a part of the poster, between Jacob's role in the book and Summit's love of TL, it makes perfect sense, but he did not have to be on the same level as Edward and Bella. It would have been nice to finally let them stand tall together, by themselves, instead of acting like the love triangle is still a factor. He is almost blocking the Cullens as well which is annoying since they all will play roles in the film just like him, especially since this is for BD Part 1. I know he is a major character, but a supporting character, and it would be nice if for once the two main characters, Edward and Bella could have time to themselves with everyone else in the background. He could easily be behind them while they hold each other. BD Part 1 is mainly about them getting married, the honeymoon, her being pregnant, and them trying to deal with that. Jacob influences that but so does Rosalie and the other Cullens. This poster just screams love triangle since they seem to want Taycob superimposed on the front level with Edward and Bella. In a lot of ways, he stands out too much. Almost like Summit decided that he needed to be in the poster due to marketing and Team Jacob fans and just plopped him on there.
Emmettroselover

RebeccaCullen wrote: I guess a part of me is expecting some sort of admission, for lack of a better word, that Bella and Edward aren't going to be getting any more interferance from Jacob, especially after Bella made her choice at the end of EC. To me, placing Jacob on the same level as Edward and Bella and not slightly behind them indicates that he's going to still try and come between them.

[/color]
Exactly, since Summit hyped up the love triangle like it was the best thing since sliced bread, it would be nice to have BD show that the decision has been made, especially during marketing. Give Bella and Edward some space and actually let them shine for a bit. It was their story even when Jacob was running interference. The poster could be worse though. At least they let Edward hold Bella instead of some of the posters they had in the past. I do like that part of it. The two of them look like a couple. Jacob looks awkwardly out of place.
Emmettroselover

This made me sigh in relief! Fans have asked Bill Condon's partner about the poster on Twitter and the replies are very promising!!!!!!

This is taken straight from the RobsessedPattinson website and it gives more answers about the poster (which a lot of people seem to dislike):
That’s another promo poster and not a theatrical poster.
Bill’s role in this poster: no he doesn’t sign off on that stuff.
The theatrical designs I got to see were very pretty
How long until we see them: You don’t have to wait that long…
On wanting a more romantic poster with E&B and less stiff: You’re going to get what you want.
On BD theater poster: It won’t suck. Promise.
Regarding Bella’s hair: I honestly don’t think you’ll have any complaints about that in the movie…
Again, there’ll be lots more to choose from in a couple months, give or take.
Complaints about the poster and lack of covers: Just you wait. Also, two EW R/K covers aren’t enough for you by now? No? Okay, just checking – sheesh!
Of course there will be more posters, but whether you like them is yet to be determined!
Fan stating all they really need is one good pic of E&B how hard is that: They’re comin’, they’re comin’…

It is nice to know that I am not the only fan tired of the Jacob, Bella, Edward nonsense and would actually like a poster with the two lovers happy and looking like they are about to get married! No matter how big of a role Jacob plays later on in the books, Edward and Bella are the couple getting married, about to have a honeymoon, and getting to spend time together so it would be great to see that! Plus, it is interesting how it seems Condon's posters will be different from Summit's. Maybe the Taycob love fest will simmer a bit with Condon's versions of the theatrical posters.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

corona wrote:I think we should give Jacob a break. After all, this is the last poster of him standing defiantly by himself.

I think the Part II poster will be pretty much the same except he'll be wearing one of those baby carriers like that guy in The Hangover.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Actually, I'm thinking they'll have RobWard& KrisElla holding a bag of treats whilst McKenzie gives Jacob training hand signals. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Seriously, though, I'm inclined to agree with Emmettroselover. Jacob does have a role, but not in part 1, as much. Yes, he has his moment when he goes to the Cullens to kill Edward and stays to (if the scene we've gotten is to be believed) play secret agent and kill Ness. But, even then, it is still, ultimately, a story of their love and all of the obstacles it overcomes, one of which is the canine in question. This is the story of the wedding, the honeymoon and her change to bring their daughter into the world. It is not (no matter how much TeamJacob supporters want it to be) the story about how Jacob manages to keep interfering in their life. My overall feeling is that there is a lot of... political maneuvering... behind the way this image is presented. I mean, if you think about it, Leah and Seth have as much presence at the Cullen's and essentially make the same sacrifice. But, I don't see them in that poster.

Also, I want to find out when exactly Taylor grew 6 inches and got taller than Rob. I've always felt slightly insulted that they insist on trying to fool me into thinking he's more physically present than Rob. Again, political maneuvering...
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Emmettroselover

The good thing is that Condon is listening or at least his partner is. With each criticism and backlash this poster has gotten, a certain theme stands out. We want some Edward and Bella, by themselves, in a happy, romantic poster. I could even go without the Cullens and I am a huge Cullen fan who will always run with vampires. Let the couple that is about to get married actually have their time in the spotlight away from Jacob or anyone else.

I agree about poor Seth and Leah too. If Jacob Black gets his moment to shine, shouldn't his loyal pack members get their time too? During New Moon promoting, they marketed the wolf pack like they were the hottest new boy band in town. Seth and Leah deserve to be on a poster and really I would not mind them being on one with Jacob and the other wolves. It would be nice to have a wolf pack poster, a Cullen family including Bella poster, and then a Bella and Edward poster. That way, everyone gets a chance to be accounted for.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I will have to disagree here. Jacob's role is more than the other Cullens in BD part one particularly. A good portion of the book is told from his point of view. I think that entitles him to a prominent place on the poster.

What's more, he's not standing near Bella and Edward, but is distinctly separate from them. This is different from the New Moon and Eclipse posters, where he was shielding Bella from Edward in one, and the same distance from Bella as Edward in the other. In this one, Bella and Edward are clearly together, so it doesn't appear to me to be pushing the triangle. Bella and Edward are all over each other; he's by himself.

There was a poster in which Jacob wasn't featured, and that was the Twilight poster. And that was completely right, as he wasn't in that novel very much at all. But he is in the rest of them as a significant character, and I really feel that his role in BD is prominent enough to justify a position in the front line up of the poster. How I feel personally about him being there is another matter! :D
Emmettroselover

As usual, we will have to agree to disagree. A lot of fans seem to feel like a lot of us here though and are not fond of the poster even if you might think it is just. It is nice that Condon's partner clarified some things because a lot of fans are not happy with it, not just some Team Edward fans either. Jacob's role in the book is up for interpretation just like most of Breaking Dawn, which is why it is so controversial in the fandom. There are several differing opinions on it, but if they are going to do Part 1 which will focus a lot on the wedding, honeymoon, and so forth, Jacob is not a big player at that time. I have not read spoilers or leaked scripts, I do not believe that is okay....same with looking at illegally leaked pics....so I do not know exactly where they will end Part 1, but I do know there is a focus on Edward and Bella at least at the beginning and Jacob is not, nor has he ever been for me, an equal character in the story. That would make him a main character and I only consider Edward and Bella main characters in their love story with everyone else being obstacles, drama, or whatever, supporting characters. Yet again, that is up for interpretation. What is thought of Jacob's POV or his role is really up for the reader to decide.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I hate to ask: but how is Jacob important to the Bella/Edward love story after Bella made her dang choice in EC? It's pretty black and white to me; Bella chose Edward and not Jacob, so why continue to market Jacob as being important and moreso then Rosalie who wants to help Bella have her child in part one of BD?

I don't think it's too much to want the role of Jacob to be scaled back on the big screen and with marketing because I always thought the role of Jacob in the story should've ended in EC when Bella made her choice. The books and movies are supposed to be about the love story between a vampire, Edward, and a human, Bella, not about the failed relationship of Bella and Jacob, which the books seem to imply, or Bella marrying/choosing Jacob which some of the marketing seems to imply to me. Jacob on equal footing, to me, says "still going to attempt to get in the way and try to get Bella even though Bella and Edward get married and start a family".

I've gone to at least two other sites, MTV being one of those, that have posted the a pic of the poster and many of the comments don't like where Jacob is located. So it's not just me that has issues with where he is.

Emmettroselover

Rebecca, you are certainly not the only one to feel that way even if we are the minority on this forum. There have been fans on multiple sites.....one of the ones I help run included....who are so over this Taycob love fest and concerned with the poster. Tons wanted answers from Condon on twitter and that is why his partner replied as quickly as possible. If you do not believe me, then just go to other sites where people will not only hear what you are saying, but share a lot of the same views. Trust me, we are not the only ones who feel the Edward and Bella love story has taken a backseat to all the drama or that Summit and specifically MR is having a love fest with Taycob.