Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by Emmettroselover »

I saw this on Twilight Lexicon's twitter updates about the Twilight Convention going on and this is some stuff that Peter Facinelli said during his time on stage that pertains to BD....

"Peter doesn't get the changing hair of the Cullens because their hair doesn't grow! Says his hair is nutty professory in BD."

"Peter says the hair stylist in VanCity did it better than in Batton Rouge, so half of the film we gave to forgive his hair!"

"If Jacob and Renesmee had babies what would they be like? @peterfacinelli says "creepy!"
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Boy, Chernaudi, I never would have compared BD with NASCAR! That's like my husband's reaction when I told him I was unhappy with Eclipse: "It's just like me when Ricky Ponting's had a bad innings in a test match". (for those who don't know, Ricky Ponting plays cricket for Australia!)

Even Alice wasn't sure it would all go that way. There is certainly urgency in her behaviour, and she tells Bella at the end that she had to be ready to rescue Nessie in case it was required, so it seems there were a few different futures that Alice knew were possible, especially since she couldn't be sure she'd even find someone like Nahuel, much less get him back in time to help out.

And I think if they intensify what is really a face-off between Bella and Aro, and play it like that, it could be interesting. There are certainly good ways to do it. MR said that BC had a lot of good ideas about how to do the confrontation, so it will be interesting to see what comes of it all. I always thought it would be the most difficult part to translate to screen, so even if all they do is keep the tension going, I will consider it a success.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

It's all in how they translate it to the screen. Issue here is, and Summit isn't alone, is the normal novel vs movie translation, and no matter who's calling the shots, it does have the same potential to be really good, really bad, or somewhere in between.

Regardless, I don't think everyone will be 100% happy no matter what.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I don't think any fan's been 100% happy with everything! And some people have been upset by things that others have loved. They can't please everybody, no matter what they do, especially with that final scene. Even if they stick to the book like glue some fans will complain because they want a fight, and were disappointed there wasn't one. It will be interesting to see what they have decided to do with it.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

I understood adding and showing the fight with the newborns in EC because Bella and Edward were dealing with Victoria, and I loved some of the changes made to the ballet studio scene in TW, but hated the change they made in NM because I never got that impression that it would happen because there was nothing there that would imply it would like there was in BD. The best I can hope for at this point is that we see the possibilities of what might happen if one side strikes or showing Alice getting a vision of Aro being told of the child with Bella and what might happen if she doesn't find another one like Renesmee.

I keep thinking back to HP4 where the studio changed the first task to add more time with the dragon and come the third task all they had to go was go through the maze when in the book it was the exact opposite and that was kinda annoying.
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

Emmettroselover wrote:As for the imprinting between Quil and Claire, I could see that going either way. I could see them mentioning it to ease the bomb about Jacob's imprint, or I could see them keeping it out. Since we usually hear something anytime someone has been cast in the films, I find it hard to believe that there will be a flashback or a moment with Claire in the films since an actress has not been cast to play her...at least not that I have heard of that is. It could be something mentioned, but I doubt they will harp on it enough to create a flashback and it would still go back to the same issue that Lautner was talking about. How do you show an imprint? He said he had to ask the producers and SM several times how it should look because even he was hesitant about it when he read it in the books. I think that is something that is easier to explain in a book than to show visually.
I pictured something sort of similar to...what happened after James bit Bella and Edward was sucking out the venom. I'm thinking they could do a lot more with effects and music...the way they showed almost a tunnel vision of their interchanging eyes...I can see it in my mind, but I can't find a picture of that scene.
Grayce
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

GrayceM wrote:
Emmettroselover wrote:As for the imprinting between Quil and Claire, I could see that going either way. I could see them mentioning it to ease the bomb about Jacob's imprint, or I could see them keeping it out. Since we usually hear something anytime someone has been cast in the films, I find it hard to believe that there will be a flashback or a moment with Claire in the films since an actress has not been cast to play her...at least not that I have heard of that is. It could be something mentioned, but I doubt they will harp on it enough to create a flashback and it would still go back to the same issue that Lautner was talking about. How do you show an imprint? He said he had to ask the producers and SM several times how it should look because even he was hesitant about it when he read it in the books. I think that is something that is easier to explain in a book than to show visually.
I pictured something sort of similar to...what happened after James bit Bella and Edward was sucking out the venom. I'm thinking they could do a lot more with effects and music...the way they showed almost a tunnel vision of their interchanging eyes...I can see it in my mind, but I can't find a picture of that scene.
My bet is that Claire is left out. I'm just betting only, it doesn't mean she should be in there or she should be left out.

IMO, while Claire helped foreshadow and prepare the readers for Nessie later, she ultimately ended up causing problems once you really started delving into the imprinting issue. Her story invites a closer examination of imprinting, which doesn't help (or at least makes things more complicated). This is just my opinion, but I think the audience will be able to more easily accept the bizarreness of imprinting when only a very abnormal child like Nessie is involved. There is something of a weird logic to it that you can hang your hat on when just Nessie is involved. Adding Claire to the mix now would end up being counter-productive, I think, not to mention ham-handed sledgehammer foreshadowing. Put her in early and you would have no choice but to offer a full explanation, which still doesn't help.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

That's a very good point, Corona. Perhaps it would be more acceptable if it was viewed as a Nessie thing. Although the audience already knows that imprinting does exist for "normal" humans, so I wonder if that would taint their view of it anyway.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

I really do hope that Summit doesn't work too much off the imprinting angle. They forfeited the best chance to give some explanation to it in Eclipse, and to do it in depth now would be awkward. I do stress though that the best thing to do is read about it in Eclipse or Breaking Dawn, or in the official guide (though Stephanie doesn't give a 100% straight answer, it's better than nothing), or look it up online, that's my advice to the uninformed.

The issue here is that it's gonna be an inevitable point of discussion, and it will come up in the movie, but they can't do too little or too much with it. They have to give some explanation, but they can't play too much off it.

And it does help to remember that this is a fantasy movie, and has little relevance to real life--just as how vampires and werewolves don't exist in real life, Renesmee can't exist in real life and imprinting in the form explained in BD and EC doesn't exist either.

I'd hope that most people take that approach, but as with many things, some people take things to seriously, and fantasy films can be one of them. We can discuss this, as long as we understand that this isn't real, which I think is the real problem.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, that's always been my take on it. It's not real, so does it really matter? I guess that's why it never bothered me, although I understand why plenty of people are bothered by it. But this is a story with vampires and werewolves and shape shifters. It's going to have aspects that are difficult to deal with, because the concepts it deals with do not exist in the realm of reality.