Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by Tornado »

I don't think that we're meant to take from that that he's about to put his hand on it. I certainly didn't get that impression looking at it. He looked more like a separate entity, and a grumpy one at that. In fact, from the way they've made him a little bigger (to match his height with Edward's) it makes him look like he's standing a little closer to the camera than Edward and Bella (just been having a look to refresh my memory!).
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jacobs-girl »

Yeah I agree with your viewpoint, Tornado. I just viewed the poster again and he definitely looks like he is standing on his own, separated from Bella and Edward. I also think that he's standing in a very defensive posture. That figures, as he is very defensive of Bella in the books due to the whole vampire transformation thing. I know I'm trying to defend Jacob again, but I do think that he has certain grounds to feel that way. The love triangle needs to be put aside but nevertheless, Bella is still a close friend of Jacob and I don't think it's easy for him to see his friend becoming a vampire, especially with so much history between the shapeshifters and the vampires. So, yeah, I think that Jacob will be trying to be defensive (and protective) of Bella in BD: part 1 which will, no doubt, irritate the Team Cullen fans!
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Tornado wrote:I don't think that we're meant to take from that that he's about to put his hand on it. I certainly didn't get that impression looking at it. He looked more like a separate entity, and a grumpy one at that. In fact, from the way they've made him a little bigger (to match his height with Edward's) it makes him look like he's standing a little closer to the camera than Edward and Bella (just been having a look to refresh my memory!).
Which, I suppose, could be the source of irritation for a lot of us. It's one thing to read the complete 180 in the books, to watch the focus shift from the central love story of Edward&Bella to what ends up being a story about the beginning of Jacob and Ness' story, with a little Edward&Bella thrown in to keep us reading. Because, in the end, that's pretty much what happens. I think the reason that Jacob's position and prominence irritates so many of us is that this is supposed to be Edward&Bella's moment, their wedding, the birth of their child, the beginning of their forever. And yet, there he is, as big as life and looking like much more of the focus than he should in what should be their moment, once again stealing it from them, just as he does in the book. Seeing it brought to life on the screen makes it harder to ignore than when you can filter through or filter out while reading the books.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

At least the end of the book brought the focus back where it belonged: to Edward and Bella and how much they cared for one another! :)
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Emmettroselover »

I think it irritates people because like Jazz Girl said, the focus should be on Edward and Bella in Part 1. The first movie is supposed to be about their wedding, honeymoon, and them dealing with the pregnancy and Jacob comes in a bit later so it is annoying that yet again, instead of letting Edward and Bella have their moments it seems that Jacob is just hovering as a equal to them. If the first movie is going to focus on what we know so far about Part 1, shouldn't Edward and Bella be in the front alone, with Jacob in the back with the others? Then too, maybe we are reading too much into one poster that was not even put together by Condon, but by Summit who has made their bias very clear in the past two movies.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

I myself hope that Bella and Edward was the focus of part one, but after Bella gets pregnant with Nessie, Jacob does become a prominent part of the story again, like it or not. Only thing I don't like about it is if Summit will take it too far as with Eclipse, by lingering on with the "love triangle" idea, and take too much focus away from the B&E romance. That has to be balanced within canon and what they're trying to aim for, though after a point, the ideas do become mutually exclusive, especially if executed poorly.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I agree, Chernaudi.
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I honestly don't think the Jacob character is that much of an importance in the whole Twilight saga...
The only real part where he is important is in NM... there he is Bella's friend when she needs one. he understands the world she lives in and she can talk to him and make it all seem more real.

but in essence, the Twilight saga is a love story between Bella and Edward. it's about the trails they face as the human world clashes with the mythological world... and in that love story, Jacob is only there to give Bella a easy way out of the overwhelming mythological world... for Breaking dawn Jacob is of no great importance... especially for the movie, they could have Jasper realizing that the fetus needs blood instead of human food... Jacob's role was played when Bella choose for Edward...
(I know won't agree with me but this is how I see it)...

This is one of the reasons why I really don't like the way they are presenting BD with this poster...
the first part of Breaking dawn is the end of a love story, it's the closure you want in every romance... the got married, (had sex, finally!) and lived happily ever after...the poster should have been centered more around the happy couple and their family...
for non readers when you see this picture you expect another movie about the love traingle and the battle evolving on Cullen ground...you see Edward fiecely protecting a healthy Bella from Jacob...you don't see that the first part of the movie is going to be a romantic one, you don't see that there is going to be a lot of drama revolving around Bella's and Edward's union... you only see that Jacob is there to stir up an other fight over Bella...
I honestly don't think that is a good way to present the movie to the non-reading public... it will create disappointment...

On the topic of marketing Taylor...if they following the book correctly there won't be a lot of taylor in this movie... Jacob spends a lot of time in wolf form... the big scenes are all done in wolf form...so I don't see why they even think it's necessary to promote him so much for BD...(that's my worry, to much abs and not enough fur in this movie)
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

There won't be as much wolf pack in the movie, I'm sure, but I don't think it has anything to do with the abs (or not much, anyway!). It has more to do with a) the cost of CGI shots of the wolves compared with the actors who they had to pay anyway, so they may as well use them, and b) the fact that it is next to impossible to do the wolves with huge amounts of dialogue, as it is written in the books. They've had enough trouble getting the CGI wolves right as it is, without trying to make their faces expressive enough to allow for speech, especially considering the emotions that need to be conveyed in these scenes. How do you do that with a CGI wolf and a voiceover? Not to mention that it will be difficult for everyone to tell who is speaking. So I think it's a foregone conclusion that all of the wolf talking scenes will be done with live actors.
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jacobs-girl »

This afternoon, I was listening to the latest edition of the Twilight Source: Imprint podcast, which I download onto my iPod every month, and they raised an very interesting discussion point about Jacob and Renesmee's relationship. The imprinting issue is one of my main concerns about BD, due to the fact that I think it's creepy and icky that Jacob imprints on a newborn baby and that he will eventually become Bella's son-in-law.

However, one of the four people who do the Imprint podcast was talking about an interview with SM, in which she said that one of the key points of imprinting is that the person will become whatever the other person needs him (or her) to be. I don't know whether I was the only person who assumed that Jacob and Renesmee would eventually have a romantic relationship but I thought that it would end in a romantic liaison when Renesmee grows up (hence, the ick factor). I totally didn't think of any other potential outcomes, but I just remembered the passage in Eclipse when Jacob explains imprinting:
"It’s not like love at first sight, really. It’s more like… gravity moves. When you see her, suddenly it’s not the earth holding you here anymore. She does. And nothing matters more than her. And you would do anything for her, be anything for her… You become whatever she needs you to be, whether that’s a protector, or a lover, or a friend, or a brother", (Eclipse, ch. 8, p. 176)

I would really like something like Jacob's words above to be portrayed to the audience in the BD movies, to remind us all (and especially fans who haven't read the books) that imprinting does not necessarily end in romance. Jacob could become Renesmee's friend for life, kind of like an uncle, guardian or older brother, "whatever she needs [him] to be".

I think this would take a whole lot of the tension and the 'ick factor' out of the movie, BD, because it seems much more reasonable to me that Jacob is posited as a guardian-type figure to Renesmee, instead of as her future boyfriend/husband.

What do you think?
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)