Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by Chernaudi »

Only problem with that is that Jacob is still an important character to the story because of Renesmee and the imprint. However, it does seem that Summit is having a hard time letting the love triangle marketing scheme die off with dignity, and it's past is sell by date by the start of BD.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I just saw a new clip from Abduction, and I thought it looked okay. I had seen one previously that I was doubtful about, but this one looked better. I thought Taylor acted quite well in it. Hopefully it will work for him.

I don't think there's much point in arguing over how valid Jacob's role in BD is. But I don't think there's any doubt he will be a major feature on the BD posters for both parts 1 and 2.
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Emmettroselover »

You are right because even if Jacob Black played a different role and was not as huge of a part in the books, it would not have mattered. TL and Summit have a special thing going on and they love to promote him, so he is going to be on as much stuff as they can put him on. That is how it has been since New Moon and it will continue to be that way until the saga ends.

I think Abduction could be good. It is just more of the same stuff though. It is the Bourne Identity meets high school with tons of explosions, cool stunts, and so forth. It is your typical action film, but that could work out in TL's favor because plenty of guys enjoy the typical action film.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

Well I don't really enjoy a lot of action movies where the point is to blow stuff up and shoot people. Mind you, though, I do think that Death Wish III is probably one of the funniest movies I've ever seen with the over the top methods that Paul Kersey (Charles Bronson) uses to deal with the crooks, such a booby traps, and the catchy dialogue, and I like to play World War II first person shooters.

But that's a bit besides the point. I think that the roles that Kristen and Rob typically seek out do allow them to show better as actors, but if Taylor wants to be an action star and proves to be good at it, then I guess it's horses for courses.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

That's very true. If there is a market for those kinds of movies, and there clearly is, and if he fits into that market, then good on him. And maybe he can branch out from there into other things when he gets a bit of experience under his belt. I think that Abduction might have a bit more thought in its plot than something like Death Wish III though!
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

It's because of the imprinting that's got me annoyed with the current marketing for BD because the impression I've been getting, at least with the print images we've gotten like the calender, is that the triangle isn't going to be dead and that Jacob is going to still fight for Bella to pick him even though she marries Edward in the first forty-five minutes of the movie, has sex with him as her husband and becomes pregnant.

You remember the group pic's that were released for TW where like Edward and Bella were in front with the Cullen's behind them with like the blue backdrop? If the BD pic's that featured Bella, Edward and the others were done similar to that, I'd have no problem with where Jacob is placed. It's the fact that it's Edward and Bella, Jacob, and then the itty bitty lookin' Cullen's that I find aggravating when it comes to the pic's.

I don't buy that he's more important to the story, at least not in part one then say Rosalie because Bella goes to Rose to get her to help her have the child. Why not make Rose more prominent in the posters for part 1 then? She's important to the first half of the story. And why wasn't Jasper featured prominently in the EC posters, his military and newborn experiences were important to the story too. IMO, since I expect someone to harp on what I'm about to say, it seems to have more to do with Summit loving TL (and his now flabby looking ab's) then it does with Summit actually knowing and/or caring about the product they are trying to sell. I've seen cola products put more effort into trying to win my money then I have Summit with this series.
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

There is certainly marketing involved yes. Rosalie's character just doesn't have the same following as Jacob's does. If she did, then it might make a difference.

And given that an entire section of BD 1 was written from his perspective, I think there is still an argument for making him a more prominent cast member. Jasper's military experience may have been an important part of Eclipse, but it still didn't mean he was a bigger part of that story than Jacob was. It was still very much about the Edward, Bella and Jacob in that one. And it's the same with BD the book. Jacob has more involvement, particularly with the pack's level of involvement and his narration, than Rosalie does. I'm not saying I like it that way, but it's the way the books were written.
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

I think it would be different if Jacob was positioned differently in the images. But, it's very clear that it is an effort to keep the triangle alive. The subtleties of the way he's actually positioned; looking taller and more fierce than Edward, angry and like he's ready to come swooping in like some avenging underdog or something. Granted, I make no secret of the fact that I totally believe that Jacob never truly gave up his quest to get Bella to choose him until the moment he believed her dead. So, I suppose that the way Summit is marketing the film shouldn't really surprise me. I think maybe my hope was that, given how that might play off on film and the problems it brings up within the context of the fact that movies, no matter how fantasy-based, are ALWAYS criticized for the way their elements relate to real life, I had hoped maybe Summit might have played it a little smarter and demonstrated a little more distance between Jacob and Bella in order to ease the transition of the imprinting. Looks like I am wrong.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I was actually happy with his position. Bella and Edward are hugging and turned towards each other. He is standing separately, with his arms folded (If I remember rightly!) looking grumpy, just as he should be looking, as he is still a spurned lover in part 1. The fact that they're trying to make him taller than Edward is probably homage to the books, and recognition that Team Jacob fans have picked up on the fact that Taylor is shorter than Rob, whereas Jacob in the books is much taller than Edward by this stage. I was glad that he was further away from the two of them than he has been in the two previous posters, and I felt this was a natural progression in removing him from them. If he had been the same distance away, as he was in the Eclipse poster, I wouldn't have been happy.
RebeccaCullen
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by RebeccaCullen »

Tornado wrote: He is standing separately, with his arms folded (If I remember rightly!) looking grumpy, just as he should be looking, as he is still a spurned lover in part 1.
Nope. Jacob's hands are near Bella's butt.