Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Re: Worried about Breaking Dawn?

Post by Jacobs-girl »

Tornado wrote:Yes, whether we like it or not, Jacob is a major character, and has more involvement in the story of BD than the rest of the Cullens, even Rosalie. He has a right to be there, and he has a following, so he's definitely going to be there. He will be there in part two as well, probably holding/standing next to Renesmee.
I agree with you, Tornado.

You all know I'm a Jacob fan but I do think they over-hyped the love triangle stuff but I think it is still important to have Jacob playing a major role in BD. Just because he has a prominent position in the poster doesn't mean they are going to keep on 'overegging the pudding' (as my mother would say) with more and more love triangle stuff in BD.
I'm not keen on the actual poster itself though. Edward and Bella look sweet but the poster could definitely be better.

Apologies if this is slightly incoherent. I just got some fantastic news this morning (not Twilight related!) so I'm not thinking straight at the moment. :lol:
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Oooh! Do tell! I could do with some good news at the moment. The last week's been a wee bit stressful for me ...

Yes, I don't particularly like the poster, but it has nothing to do with Jacob being in it. They all look stiff and uncomfortable, and quite frankly, it's just the same as the group shot for Twilight and New Moon. I realise it must be difficult to think of new angles, but I really think something entirely different would have been more appropriate, or even just using the cover of the book, which has brilliant symbolism (although admittedly it applied more to part 2).
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jacobs-girl »

Tornado wrote:Oooh! Do tell! I could do with some good news at the moment. The last week's been a wee bit stressful for me ...

Yes, I don't particularly like the poster, but it has nothing to do with Jacob being in it. They all look stiff and uncomfortable, and quite frankly, it's just the same as the group shot for Twilight and New Moon. I realise it must be difficult to think of new angles, but I really think something entirely different would have been more appropriate, or even just using the cover of the book, which has brilliant symbolism (although admittedly it applied more to part 2).
Well, I got the news that I passed my exams and got an unconditional place at college, so I'm ecstatic today. I was really keyed up yesterday and still feel slightly hyper right now. I'm so excited! :D

Re: the poster. Frankly, you said everything I was thinking in your post above. They don't look at ease and I agree with another poster here (can't remember who it was, sorry!) that the poster looks overly Photoshopped. I'm sure the actual movie will be great but I'd like the publicity for it to be a little better than the offerings thus far!
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Same here, they look too tense.

In my opinion, Edward should be turned a little more towards Bella, and both of them should be looking downwards but also towards each other. The body language should be saying "we are a couple". Everyone else can be looking at the camera.

Jacob is too prominent, he needs to be moved slightly more to the background. Not much, though, he is a very important figure. I think the idea of putting Leah and Seth there as well was a very good idea, it plays more into the plot, kudos to Emmettroselover.

Jacob's body is turned towards Bella, and his hand is just a little too close to her butt for comfort. Down, boy, down!

Alternative take: arms crossed, body turned away would both show his disapproval and separation from them.

Lot's of ways to do that. I'm glad BC is talking about different posters.

Seriously, they need to prep Jacob for his bonding with Nessie. I think the Leah and Seth idea works best. Trying to milk out the last drop of his big, bad, lone wolf and romance spoiler persona will just make him look more ridiculous when he is paired with little Nessie.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”
Jazz Girl
Making beautiful music with Edward as only I can

Post by Jazz Girl »

Corona~ I'm putting in my vote for Summitt to hire you as a consultant! Absolutely what I was thinking. Yes, even I, as much as I despise the role he plays particularly in BD, admit that he HAS a role and that it is a prominent one. But, you are absolutely right that this poster continues to play the love-triangle angle and it's inappropriate for the direction the story takes. Your idea about Jacob's body position and orientation to Edward&Bella is perfect.

I'm semi-hopeful after reading Jack Morrissey's (BC's partner) tweets regarding additional and different posters which will be the official theatrical poster. I'm really trying to be optimistic about the film. But the fact that the production company still sees these characters in these roles, and this image as appropriate, definitely worries me.
“Directing 7 Cullens at once=herding cats" :ROTFLMAO:
C-Dubs is TwitterRoyalty
Turning Page is Gospel~Ashley=MiniMe~HHBS
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

From what BC's partner has said, it seems that the theatrical poster will be different. Quite frankly, I'd like something apart from front-on shots of groups of people, whoever they are. Can't they think of anything new? We've had that in all of the previous movies! It's like they did the group's make-up test and said, "Hey, let's just grab a photographer and shoot!" and used those shots without much thought going into it. It's certainly not ground breaking!
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by GrayceM »

I would have to agree with Tornado on this one. It doesn't look as though they even put them all together. It looks to me like Jacob feels very out of place with all the vampires...which is how it is supposed to be. But he does have a big role in this part. I think they will show Edward and Bella for the first half of the movie, I've heard them all make comments to that effect, "the second half of this first movie is a horror story" and also mentioning that the first part is the first time that Edward and Bella get to be happy. KS especially liked that part of it. After they return though it should pick up with Jacob...
I've said before that had Stephenie chosen to have any other character tell this part of the story, it would not have had the same impact. Even if Bella had told it...It's because of Jacob telling this part that is so heartwrenching. At least for me. Explaining Edward's burning man face and knowing what kind of pain and anguish it would take to have an enemy fall to their knees in front of you...if a woman explained it this wouldn't have read the same.

The reason that he stays at the house is because Edward asks him to try to get Bella to see reason. He tells him, "You know her well," he whispered. "How quickly you see...I didn't see. Not in time. She wouldn't talk to me on the way home, not really. I thought she was frightened-that would be natural."..."And then I heard what Rosalie was thinking. I didn't understand until I heart that. Yet you understand after one second."
"You know her, Jacob. You connect to her on a level that I don't even understand. You are part of her, and she is part of you. She won't listen to me"..."She might listen to you."
But when Jacob thinks about killing him instead of even considering the idea of her having his baby instead, Edward tells him that it's not time, yet. He'll get a chance but it would have to be later...if Bella doesn't survive.
I know I'm probably in the minority on this part, but I believe that Jacob loves Bella quite a lot. We already know either of them will endure so much for her. To make her happy, but where Jacob falls short is that his love is human. It's flawed. He tries to manipulate her and pursuade her to choose him. Tries to make her feel guilty. Edward will do whatever necessary as long as she's safe and happy. Even to the point of stepping back and letting her have a human life.

I'm hoping that Summit doesn't play up the triangle part too much, or that Stephenie was able to reign them in, but it is an angle that has to be viewed. If they don't show that scene, with Edward begging him to help, I'll be very disappointed with the story. I think they will show at least a good 30-45 minutes with just Bella & Edward, the honeymoon, the island...before everything goes South.
Grayce
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I agree, GrayceM. I don't doubt that Jacob did love Bella a lot. Clearly not as much as he is capable of, though. She is not his perfect match, or he would have imprinted on her. And his love was far more flawed than Edward's, although Edward's wasn't always perfect, either. Unfortunately, his over protectiveness and self loathing (not to mention his control freak side) tainted it.
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Emmettroselover »

I do not doubt that Jacob loved Bella. He had to in order to be willing to leave the pack and sacrifice things for her, but I do think that trying to say his love is somehow on the same level as Bella and Edward's love for each other is a stretch. If so, he would have imprinted, which is also why I still do not understand the whole, if vampires and werewolves did not exist they would be soul mates thing. Based on Bella's personality and the things she liked in boys and things she did not, it says otherwise. She did not become rebellious and adventurous until she wanted to hear Edward so if you take Edward out of the equation, a lot changes. First off, the poor girl would have never survived that accident, but besides that, she would not have approached Jacob about the stories and flirted to learn more. She would not have been so broken by Edward that she needed Jacob in order to feel that thrill and hear Edward. She would not have felt guilty about breaking Jacob's heart and needed to sneak off to see him. If Bella was in a normal world, she would still have been the introverted homebody who kept her nose in a book and kept to herself. The attention and flirting from boys would have still turned her off and their obvious desires for her and their immaturity would have done the same. Jacob had a lot of qualities that Tyler, Mike, and Eric had and so while I think they would have been friends and maybe grown close, that rawness and hole that Edward left would have not been there for Jake to heal and that would have changed things in my opinion.

If SM would have never brought imprinting into the story, then maybe I would question more, but she did and made it seem like it was almost like being a vampire mate so while, yes Jacob loved Bella, it was not the same kind of love that she shared with Edward and I think sometimes people want to make it out to be. Edward left, Jacob was there when Bella was at her most vulnerable, and yet when Edward needed her, she left Jacob behind and was willing to die to save the one she truly needed and loved. To me that meant a lot and it is still a love story about Edward and Bella. I just hate that Summit has tried to twist it into even more and downplayed the intensity of that love in order to hype up the love triangle. That does not mean that I think Jacob is not an important character. I just think his importance gets hyped up to be on the same level as Edward and Bella and I just cannot see that after reading the books multiple times.
Emmettroselover
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Emmettroselover »

Did anyone else hear about the important announcement that will be made November 4th? I saw it on Twitter since I follow Twilight Lexicon and Twitour. I wonder what the announcement could be and why is the announcement date so far away.

@TwilightLexicon said
"This is on @twi_tour for upcoming events: "Los Angeles, CA 4-Nov-11 - HOLD THIS DATE FOR AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT RE: THE TWILIGHT SAGA!"

I think it might be something about a convention since it was announced by Twi Tour, maybe another LA Convention like they did for Eclipse with all the main cast showing up. At first I was curious if it had anything to do with the premiere for Breaking Dawn, but I hope that will be announced much sooner.