Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: The Breaking Dawn (I) Trailer!

Post by Tornado »

I suppose there's still time to change it. Voiceover, anyone?
Camille
Settled in Forks

Post by Camille »

anybody else who just LOVES the very last second of the trailer? I think Rob's expression is just... perfect
I see a lot of things going on in his mind in that second! First I think about a 'normal' birth-scene: the father-to-be is often more nervous about the whole thing than the mother-to-be (My own father fainted while my mother was in labour :lol: imagine that!)
Than I feel like his expression changes: he realises, as do we, that it is Bella and Bella alone who is going through this experience, she alone is doing the 'work' and she will have to do it herself (I know the others help her, but after all: it is Bella who''s giving birth ofcourse)
The last 'expression' I can see on his face is one of disgust, and this is where the 'not-so-normal-birth-scene' comes in. You can see that he's not so sure Bella will survive the whole thing...
I don't know if you'll understand what I mean, but I was really excited about that look ; it tells so much!
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Camille, I didn't really get that. I thought his expression was more of terror and concern as he knows Bella is coming close to death. After all, it's not like it's a normal birth, and in this case, she doesn't do all the work, because Renesmee can't come out the normal way. He has to intervene to get her out.
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jacobs-girl »

Camille wrote: The last 'expression' I can see on his face is one of disgust
I'm curious why you think he's disgusted? To me, the last facial expression we see Edward having is extreme worry and fear of what will happen to Bella as she goes into labor.
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
daffystjob
Settled in Forks

Post by daffystjob »

I see great fear & worry in his face. I agree with Tornado, he's fearing for Bella's survival.
Edward was expecting a gruesome birth that would involve cutting Bella open & her not surviving as a human but under the circumstances he wasn't sure he could save her at all in time to turn her to vampire Bella.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

I think the trailor is very exciting and I have a really good feeling that BD 1 and 2 are going to be the closest to the book, out of all the movies. After what Bill Condon and the cast have said, I get a real sense that, getting the full story across was very important to this director. When he spoke at CC I got the distinct impression he was very keen to portray Edward and Bella's story correctly, he mentioned about how he payed real reference to the book. This is good news to me, as I feel MR's screen plays leave to much important detail out of the other movies.

Yes, there will be added bits, there has to be, to make the movie relate better to the big screen. For example: The wolves outside the Cullen's instead of Jake going to La Push to explain to Sam. For me a good move, more exciting, as the book kind of skips over this part. Considering the desire of the pack to destroy the baby was such a big turning point in the book,I think it deserved more attention than SM gave it. The Edward tossing Jake across the room over the whole imprinting situation is a good addition, if only (very selfishly), because I think after all Jake's stunts in eclipse, Edward deserves his outburst! lol. Edward shouting "you've given me no choice", losing his temper at Bella, of course, we all know that in the book he would never distress her like this, but on the big screen; to people who are not readers of the books, it will put across the frustration and helplessness we feel from him in the book.

As for the changes in the make up and hair, yes, it is mildly irritating to me, but I can live with it. For me, the best wardrobe, hair and make up was Twilight.

In summary; I am very excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! roll on 18th Nov!!!
Jacobs-girl
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Jacobs-girl »

thebookworm wrote: Edward shouting "you've given me no choice", losing his temper at Bella, of course, we all know that in the book he would never distress her like this, but on the big screen; to people who are not readers of the books, it will put across the frustration and helplessness we feel from him in the book.
Good point. I do think, however, that the movie could show him expressing this frustration in ways other than yelling at Bella. Stress isn't good for any pregnant woman and Edward shouting at her makes me rather irritated with him and his lack of understanding at that moment.
"You want a nice stereo? Drive your own car"" (Bella, New Moon, ch. 1)

"They’re just cliff diving, Bella. Recreation. La Push doesn’t have a mall, you know" (Jacob, New Moon, ch. 7)
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

It is understandable, though, considering the stress he's under. Also, Bella telling him that he must simply accept her decision is something that would be difficult to swallow in those circumstances.
thebookworm
Wandering Through Town

Post by thebookworm »

Yeah, it would be a realistic thing. Pregnancy is not just stressful for the woman, but for the man involved too! And lets face it, this is a wee bit more stressful than a "normal" pregnancy! The books, apart from this one, are totally from from Bella's perspective, so Edward rarely shows his anger in a tangible way, because Edward is perfect to her. However, we all know, no one is perfect, so for me, it makes sense for a little of that helplessness to come through as anger.

However, I am really keen for them to get Edward's turning point right. They really need to get the scene where Renesme communicates for the first time with Edward, as tender as it is in the book. I loved this part of the book, and it is a real symbol of the way Edward and Bella are with each other; he can't hate what loves her. Did I mention, I am EXCITED!!!!!!!! LOL
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, it will be interesting to see what they do with the scene where he hears her for the first time. The scene in the trailer with him touching her belly is a good sign.

Edward certainly got angry with her at other times in the books. Considering how sick she was from the pregnancy it does seem likely he wouldn't have done it much at all, especially once he realised stress upset her, but how did he come to that realisation? He may well have yelled when he first realised she wanted to keep the baby, but we didn't see because Jake wasn't around for it.