Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 1

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
GrayceM
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Inconsistencies Between the Movies

Post by GrayceM »

Thank you! I had the husband watching NM and EC yesterday, since I'm still down with cough & sore throat...guess I get to watch BD1 today and look for those things. In slow motion...over...and over...
The bite mark not being there still bothers me and I keep forgetting to look for it before the scene when Edward hears the baby.
I noticed the ring thing some but also noticed when she takes off the engagement ring when she takes her human minutes...doesn't seem she has the wedding ring on. Now, I need to watch his ring too...
I wonder if maybe that's why the kisses in TW & NM seemed so awkward...because he was trying to be made of stone...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Grayce
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

I never found the kisses in Twilight to be awkward; far from it! Although I know Rob did try and have a pained expression when he was kissing her in Twilight, because he was trying to get the point across that kissing her hurts Edward because of her scent. CH asked him to tone it down a little.

I think this is why some people (I'm not one of them) thinks KS has more chemistry with TL in the movies than with RP. Because Bella and Jacob can show affection in a normal way, whereas Edward is always supposed to be holding back so as not to hurt her; being "careful", as Bella herself puts it. It will be interesting to see how different this is in BD Pt 2, and there had better be a noticeable difference!
GrayceM

Post by GrayceM »

Maybe awkward isn't the right word...I think I meant that they weren't really kissing. Not like in EC and BD1. I know CH had him take it easy since she was still 17 when it was filmed. Edward was trying to restrain himself and he played that very well, but everyone noticed the change in their kissing in EC.
I loved the little grimace Rob makes after the first kiss...it was just so...so...Edward. :roll:

I wish they hadn't tried to make her a stronger personality. Her reaction to running through the woods was hysterical and I felt so bad for her. Edward finally feels free enough to be himself and she's trying really hard not to freak out from motion sickness. :lol: And of course the blood typing scene. I know...I know...CH didn't want the whole movie to be in Biology class but really, that actually happened to Stephenie and would have been so funny to watch Rob trying not to laugh.
Grayce
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Personally, I did not like any of the love scenes in Eclipse. I thought they lacked chemistry (whether it was with Rob or Taylor). I thought there was much more chemistry in Twilight. BD Pt1 was good, too. I also thought there was more in New Moon than in Eclipse, although it was, because of the storyline, a lot briefer, but I still felt it had more emotion than anything in Eclipse. Eclipse was the least emotional in the saga, as far as I am concerned. To me, that movie was an abject failure, and I know there are fans who agree with me, so I think saying everyone noticed it was better in Eclipse is overstating things a little.
MoonlessNight
Settled in Forks

Post by MoonlessNight »

Huh, I never thought about the skin thing before. I guess I'll have to try to ignore it, now.

When something is inconsistent, I try to explain it away to myself. Like the scene in EC where they are practicing with the wolves and Carlisle catches Edward off guard(that scene irks me). I tell myself that Jasper tells Edward through his thoughts to purposely let Carlisle overtake him, as a learning exercise. I don't have much of an explanation as to why Bella gets on Jacob's bike, though. That annoys me too, because she wouldn't be rude to Edward like that.

Also, why is Jasper in school in NM and EC? Shouldn't he have graduated with Emmett and Rosalie? I guess the movie doesn't call them twins, but that still confuses me.

I know we shouldn't bring up hair, but...that makes me nuts! I understand having different directors, and actually like the idea, but couldn't they have tried to use the same hair and make up people? I know a few actors had to wear wigs in the later movies, but at least there would be a little more consistency. And try to use the same shade amber contacts, too!
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I accepted Jasper's being in school without too much difficulty. I think they took it as an opportunity to let the audience know about his talent. Also, they may have thought that it would look strange if Alice was there without him. As they hadn't mentioned the twin thing, I thought that was one of the changes that I could live with ...

... but don't get me started on that *&(^%&%^$^$ motorcycle scene! The scene where Carlisle jumps Edward is also annoying (SM mentioned that in her commentary, too!). I have heard recently that it was something that they just did when fooling around on set. It's the same kind of thing that happened in the deleted scene from Twilight, where Edward bites Bella's finger. That was more just Rob and Kristen fooling around, because, if Edward had bitten her finger like that, not only would he have bitten it off, but she would have started to transform into a vampire, not to mention bleed all over the place, at a time when he was still having trouble resisting her blood! I'm glad they cut it. I wish they'd cut Carlisle jumping Edward, though. And, of course, the aforementioned *&(^%&%^$^$ motorcycle scene, which I haven't watched for ages, because it always makes me so mad!
MoonlessNight
Settled in Forks

Post by MoonlessNight »

Tornado wrote:... but don't get me started on that *&(^%&%^$^$ motorcycle scene! The scene where Carlisle jumps Edward is also annoying (SM mentioned that in her commentary, too!). I have heard recently that it was something that they just did when fooling around on set. It's the same kind of thing that happened in the deleted scene from Twilight, where Edward bites Bella's finger. That was more just Rob and Kristen fooling around, because, if Edward had bitten her finger like that, not only would he have bitten it off, but she would have started to transform into a vampire, not to mention bleed all over the place, at a time when he was still having trouble resisting her blood! I'm glad they cut it. I wish they'd cut Carlisle jumping Edward, though. And, of course, the aforementioned *&(^%&%^$^$ motorcycle scene, which I haven't watched for ages, because it always makes me so mad!
I have to agree with you, Tornado, about the deleted scene. There was just so much wrong with it. I think anyone watching the movie that didn't read the book would be so confused watching that part. Speaking of deleted scenes, I wish they kept the Angela scene in EC, and especially, the one after the tent scene where Edward says he left Bella bleeding and Jacob stitched her up. It shows his feelings of guilt and why he doesn't freak out over the kiss. Without it, he just looks like a wimp.
GrayceM

Post by GrayceM »

Speaking of Eclipse fight scenes, I would have liked to see Alice warning Bella about her plans. We get to see her go stand beside her and take her arm...but then their entire close friendship drops off the map again. :(
Jasper during the movie fight was great, but I didn't particularly care for how he kept walking away from Bella afterwards. She had to ask him three questions to get him to stop and stand still long enough to tell his story. It seemed like he was trying to get away.
In the book he's explaining and demonstrating specifically to her because she's so worried about everyone, especially Alice. In the movie, the military training teacher comes out in him...that wasn't so bad, but the reason he was explaining to Bella made a difference in how I saw Jasper. His statement to her "...but I wonder if you realize how the feelings in a room affect me. I live every day in a climate of emotions" made me take a second look at Jasper and how and why he would want to control emotions.

I agree, Tornado. I saw that shot of him biting her finger and I am so glad they cut that scene. Also the scene where Bella is looking through Edward's room. I wouldn't have minded the comments on his journals, but "chinchilla poop"? :shock: Nooooo...that phrase has no business in any movie...

I think EC did the worst job of communicating their relationship. Trying to make a stronger character for Bella made Edward look like he didn't have a clue. Instead of saying, "You were never in any real danger anyway", they had him say "I was trying to protect you", about the trip to Florida. Along with all of the lines they cut...after he disables her truck, after the Jacob kiss, and after she leaves Jacob. All of those things Edward said made him the person he is. To cut them so they could make her seem stronger and make Jacob more equal is silly and deceptive.
Grayce
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, I found Eclipse the most disappointing of all the movies for many reasons, not the least that David Slade sucks at romance and should never have been allowed near a movie where ROMANCE not HORROR was the most important element. You'd think Summit would have worked that out by now. We don't care that much about the vampires or the fighting. We want romance!
Grayce
Settled in Forks

Post by Grayce »

Needed to get this down before I forget...again. Bella doesn't have near enough aversion to fashion as in the books and the only time she's made a big deal about being the only one aging is before her birthday party in NM. What happened to the anger ans frustration she unleashed on Jacob after finding out he's not aging either...I missed that...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]