Greetings to All,
Firstly, sorry about the long post.
Overall I loved BD1 and so far it is my favorite Twilight movie. NM was my favorite movie before BD1 came out but, I love weddings and especially in movies. Though, IMO, I do believe the tone of NM was very close to the book, as was BD1, compared to TW and EC. For me, the first time I saw BD1, it made me tear more times than I can count. These are some, not all, of the touching moments in BD1 for me: when Renee sees Bella getting ready and she tears; Bella’s walk down the aisle with Charlie; Bella tearing up to see Jacob at the wedding reception; Bella finding out she is pregnant and realizing she is a mother when she is standing in front of the mirror; and towards the end of the movie, when Bella dies and Edward is still trying to bring her back.
I also, thought Jacob & Renesmee’s imprinting moment was so well done. And we even got to see the little girl, Renesmee (Mackenzie Foy) in the vision and I thought it was so cool how they showed the older version of Renesmee too. Though, in the BD book, I don’t think that the imprinting moment was portrayed like that. Oh well, it turned out great anyway. These are just some of the scenes that were touching for me. I think there were others but, I can’t think of them right now. Oh, I also loved all the scenes on Isle Esme. One inconsistency I noticed in Isle Esme was when Bella says something like, "how many days has it been since the wedding?" in the book Edward says 17 days, however, in the movie Edward says 14 days. Not a big deal for me but, an inconsistency with the book nonetheless. As you can probably tell, I basically love the whole movie.
Okay, back to inconsistencies in the movies, I think all the Twilight movies have way too many inconsistencies with the books, so I am just going to mention the ones that stand out for me. I am also only going to mention BD1 inconsistencies right now, I can’t pull myself away from watching BD1 to start watching the other Twilight films again right now.
Inconsistencies I LOVED in BD1
1. Edward’s rogue-years-flashback. The mention of Edward’s rogue years was in the TW book not in the BD book. Also, though the film “Frankenstein” was released in 1931, the film “The Bride Of Frankenstein” (which was the one in BD1) was released in 1935. As per the Twilight books and/or guide, Edward’s rogue-years were from 1927-1931. It is impossible for red-eyed-Edward to be in that theatre, watching that movie, and hunting criminals, vampire-style. However, I did love that they had that piece of that movie in BD1. It was very symbolic to the gist of what was going to happen by the end of BD1 and the scream that came from the Bride of Frankenstein was the fear that Edward had, which was that Bella would not love him once she was a vampire. Also, I noticed that the Bride of Frankenstein was changed at the end of her respective film as well. Just like Bella in BD1. And thankfully we know Bella will not have the same reaction that the Bride of Frankenstein had to Frankenstein. Nevertheless, again, very well done.
2. All the funny speeches and toasts, not in the book but, I like that they are in BD1.
I also, loved Edward’s sentimental toast also, not in the book but in the movie.
3. In BD1, when Jessica and company are standing by the huge cake and they comment to Alice something like, “No, it is not too much”. Again, not in the book but soo funny.
4. The Denali Clan, I really liked that Irina came to the wedding, though in the book she did not. Also, though she was there, not in the best of moods, I did love her dress and her hair. And of course, it made sense to have her come and make an appearance and air out her feelings about what happened to Laurent in preparation for what is to come in BD2. I also, loved that Carmen took Bella’s face and kissed her on each side of her cheeks, it was soo the Spanish thing to do and I love Carmen’s accent too. Though, this too was not in the book.
5. At the wedding reception, when Bella is with Jacob and Jacob twirls her around, both times, I noticed Bella is wearing sneakers. I thought it was cute, in a sporty-casual kind-of-way she did that, though, in the book Bella does not wear sneakers at the wedding reception.
6. In BD the wedding ceremony takes place in the house and the reception takes place outside the house. In BD1 everything takes place outside. I like that it was done that way, everything seemed so fairytale-like. Just beautiful. Plus, in the book there were less than 30 people at the wedding, in BD1 there were over 100 people, consequently, it did make more sense to do it the way they did.
7. In the BD book, at the end of the wedding reception, Alice got Bella into a “blue going-away ensemble”. However, in BD1 Bella wears a beige dress. I really liked the beige dress, I think it is Bill Condon who says something like, “the dress is timeless”, meaning if we watch the movie 10 or 20 years from now the dress is still going to look good. I agree.
8. In the BD book, there was no chess playing in the honeymoon. But, there was in the movie. I liked that they did that, it was cute and I liked how they brought in the cover of the book into the movie, just like the TW movie.
9. I liked how towards the end of the movie, when Bella was burning/transforming, she had flashbacks of her life. Again, not how the book did it, but I really liked that it was done in BD1.
10. In BD2 in the Target clip, though Bella does not have yellow eyes in the BD book, I like that we get a chance to see her as a red-eyed-vampire and as a yellow-eyed-vampire before the movie is over.
Inconsistencies I did NOT like in BD1:
1. Bella does not have a wedding band in the BD book, she only has her engagement ring which is also used as her wedding ring. I wanted the ring that Edward gave her in EC to be the only ring that would ever be on her left ring finger. The wedding band just kills the effect for me.
2. At the wedding reception, there was no father-daughter dance; no cutting the cake; no throwing the garter and no throwing the bouquet. They could have least had Bella throw the bouquet. They probably did not have time in the movie to fit all of this in, but still, I wanted to see it.
3. Okay, I don’t think the book mentions Bella and Edward saying there full names in their wedding vows, but I wanted to see it in BD1.
4. At the wedding reception, in the BD book, Tanya was a little forward towards Edward, which made Edward introduce Bella as his wife for the first time. However, in BD1, Tanya was not flirty or forward, consequently, Edward did not have a reason to introduce Bella as his wife for the first time or say, “Tanya, this is my Bella”.
5. The Denali Clan: I did not like Kate’s one line, “We’ve heard so much about you”. Though, in the book, Kate did only have one line, she said, “Keep the dream alive”. In the book Kate is portrayed as having a spunky and/or sassy personality. The line she said in the movie just doesn’t portray Kate’s personality well for me. Also, I don’t see why they could not put strawberry tints on Tanya’s hair. I didn’t need anything too pronounced, two subtle streaks of light pink would have sufficed. There are so many blonds in the movie, it would have been nice to have something different. I mean really, I don’t see how two light pink streaks of highlights were going to hurt Tanya’s appearance at all.
6. The Cullen Crest in the movies. I know this is not part of the books only the movies. But, I only saw the Cullen Crest in the first scene of BD1 and it was only worn by Edward, Emmett and I think Jasper. I did not notice the females wearing the crest. Though, later on in the movie, Alice and Esme did wear necklaces that had pendants, but the pendants were too small for me to see if it was the Cullen Crest. If BD1 was consistent in bringing in Bella’s violet bedding, Jacob’s dream-catcher 18th birthday present to Bella and Renee’s hand-made blanket that was Bella’s graduation present, I think they should have kept the Cullen Crest in more than one scene and worn, at least, by the majority of them. I think the Cullen Crest was worn in almost every scene by almost all the Cullens in the previous films. I did not expect them to wear it the day of the wedding and maybe not in the honeymoon, but once they got back to the house I expected them all to wear it and I even expected Bella to get one too. Well maybe she will get one in BD2 when she is a vampire.
7. No headaches for Alice when she is near pregnant Bella. I don’t know why, I just did not like that this part was not put in BD1.
8. Right now, I don’t like the dress they put on burning/transforming-Bella towards the end of the movie. The color is okay. But, in the book Alice put her in a pale blue satin dress. The dress from the movie seems too conservative, almost too business-like. I was hoping for a cocktail satin-style dress, either in pale blue or the electric blue and/or royal blue in the movie. But, maybe the dress from the movie will grow on me in BD2.