A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Pel
Keeper of the Scepter of Doom

Riley: More or Less Sympathetic Than in Eclipse

Post by Pel »

Did anyone really, seriously dislike Riley? When I first read Eclipse, I thought of him as this nice dumb kid who got his head twisted around. I felt really bad, like maybe he should have had a second chance. After reading Bree Tanner I seriously don't feel bad for him anymore. What a callous and calculating horrible person.
kerry211
Settled in Forks

Re: Riley: More or Less Sympathetic Than in Eclipse

Post by kerry211 »

Totally agree Pel. I always felt sorry for Riley when I read Eclipse but my sympathys have totally vanished. He got what he deserved after lying to the newborns, particularly Bree, the way he did.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

He was detestable! All the pity I have for him just vanished! He manipulates, indoctrinates and even hurts those newborn himself! He may have been in love with Victoria and didn't know all the reality of being a vampire and the treat that may represent the Cullen, but he did know enough to be aware that those kids was cannon fodder!

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I so totally hate him right now......

In eclipse I felt that Victoria was manipulating him, and still she used his love for her to let him do what ever she wants...
but him killing Diego and just behave like that towards Bree...grrrrrr

I know for sure that when I see Bree in the movie I'll cry....and I'll be very very very happy when either Edward or Seth rips Riley apart...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

marielle wrote:In eclipse I felt that Victoria was manipulating him, and still she used his love for her to let him do what ever she wants...
And the way he describes the torture of Diego... :cry: :cry: :cry:

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

Kate wrote:
marielle wrote:In eclipse I felt that Victoria was manipulating him, and still she used his love for her to let him do what ever she wants...
And the way he describes the torture of Diego... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Yeah that's what I mean, I totally get it that Riley is in love and that love makes blind, but to do that! terrible...
I don't think I'm going to like him much in the movie, that's for sure
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

I agree with everyone else. I did feel some sympathy for him in Eclipse. Now I just view him as a tool. It's one thing to act stupid for someone you love. It's another thing to torture and kill for that person. I'm really glad now that Seth used him as a chew toy. :D
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
Kate
Officially Bitten!

Post by Kate »

Seeker-Mar wrote: I'm really glad now that Seth used him as a chew toy. :D
Lol! I may be sadistic but I second! :)

despoina92
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by despoina92 »

This book left me with even more mixed feelgs about Riley. He seems totally and utterly manipulated by Victoria and on the other hand, he's so cunning he could manipulate the newborns very well. The way h behaved seemed like he was no good guy in his first life, either. When he became a vampire, even though it's too harsh and even though he was under the influence of Victoria, he couldn't change so drastially and so succesfully (because he did a great job with keeping the newborns in darkness - both literay and metaphorically). So, even though I totally hate him because of what he did with Diego, there's a part of me who doesn't know how to feel about him. I almost felt some sympathy, even in the final pages about him, when every lie he said was revealed. I think that later this part will be dominated by the hatred one...
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

I didnt know what to feel about Riley because of this book. He seemed so nasty and manipulative, with a short temper. But im not sure wether this is because this is what Victoria made him. She was meant to be 'in love.' with him, and in the book you could see that he was doing this all for her, no doubt in his mind that she was all he wanted. And its sad that he didnt realise that she was using him in the end, but how much of that is Riley? Killing Diego gave him a new perspective as well, it made him colder, realising what he must do for her.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.