A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Fred's Power and Where Is He Now

Post by December »

Oh-M-Things wrote:I agree - having a repulsive power is really unusual for a vampire, especially since their whole species is designed to be 'alluring' to their prey.

Now that's in interesting observation! But I guess vampires must be on a whole separate perceptual wavelength from humans to start with (they're not especially alluring to each other, after all). But it might suggest that if Fred turned his powers of repulsiveness / overpowering unobtrusiveness (and it does seem to be a bit of both, doesn't it? sometimes he actually makes people feel sick so they don't want to think of him; others he seems to just be able to will them to forget about him) onto weak and vulnerable humans, he could basically knock whole villages unconscious or make himself literally invisible.

Unless...his innate vampire attractiveness would actually partly cancel out his repulsive effects (*pictures Bose noise-cancelling technology*). I mean, if other vampires are immune to the gorgeous-vampire-dazzle-effect, Fred might have an easier time repelling them, than humans whom he has to disgust in the face of his supernatural attractiveness.

Ok, sorry. Seriously geeking out here. Five minutes to midnight will have to be my excuse!
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Oh-Marvelous-Things
Settled in Forks

Post by Oh-Marvelous-Things »

December wrote:
Unless...his innate vampire attractiveness would actually partly cancel out his repulsive effects (*pictures Bose noise-cancelling technology*). I mean, if other vampires are immune to the gorgeous-vampire-dazzle-effect, Fred might have an easier time repelling them, than humans whom he has to disgust in the face of his supernatural attractiveness.

Ok, sorry. Seriously geeking out here. Five minutes to midnight will have to be my excuse![/color]
December! I miss seeing ya round the boards. Anyways, that is a really good question. Would Fred have to work harder to repulse humans? I would guess that maybe he would have to work harder to repel humans, because of what we know about vampire 'talents;' we know that sometimes ( like in Alice's case) skills work best on other vampires as opposed to humans, mainly because their natures are so different.

Ah, Fred. Was I the only one who was trying to pick out which member of the Newborn army could have been Diego or Fred while watching Eclipse? I know that he wasn't officially cast, but still... it is fun to imagine.
For the latest news on The Host movie, novel, and sequels, visit...
TheHostFan.com
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

Post by dandyvampgirl_13 »

Neither Fred or Diego were at the battle, anyways. Diego was long ripped to shreds, and Fred was hoofing it to Canananananada. And none of the newborns (including Bree) were pretty enough to be one of them either.
dreamony
Settled in Forks

Post by dreamony »

Oh-Marvelous-Things wrote:
I'd love to get more info on Fred! In some ways, I am more attached to him than I am to Bree or Diego. Do you guys think that if Bree succeeded in telling Edward about Fred through her thoughts during her last seconds, that he was one of the nomads that the Cullens tried to contact when they were pulling their forces together for BD?
I like to imagine that she was successful and that Edward was able to find him in that park. Because of Fred's unique ability he would be ok without knowledge of the vampire world. I, however don't like the thought of him being completely clueless to the Volturi's rules
melmargaret
Wandering Through Town

Post by melmargaret »

Pel wrote:Where do you think he went after Canada. Do you think he'd ever encounter the Cullens?
I have a theory about Fred's life after he left the newborn's coven. I think that the Volturi caught up with him after the battle in Eclipse. Though his power concealed him for twenty minutes, I have a feeling that Demetri's own power (tracking) helped find Fred. The Volturi would have never left Forks in a hurry.... they would search the premisis, probably a thirty or fourty mile cicumferance, just to be sure there were no runaways. I also think that he might of been in the final "battle scene" in Breaking Dawn using his power to conceal a few more pwerful nomads. This is all just a thought.
melmargaret.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

melmargaret wrote: I have a theory about Fred's life after he left the newborn's coven. I think that the Volturi caught up with him after the battle in Eclipse. Though his power concealed him for twenty minutes, I have a feeling that Demetri's own power (tracking) helped find Fred. The Volturi would have never left Forks in a hurry.... they would search the premisis, probably a thirty or fourty mile cicumferance, just to be sure there were no runaways. I also think that he might of been in the final "battle scene" in Breaking Dawn using his power to conceal a few more pwerful nomads. This is all just a thought.
You have a problem, my dear. The Volturi never knew about Fred. He wasn't at the final battle, they didn't interrogate any newborns (besides Bree) or Victoria about the names of the newborns, so they couldn't have had a roll call of all the newborns and how many died. I doubt they kept their own list of all the newborns- too much of an effort. They had no mind readers present, so none of them could have found out about Fred that way, nor did Bree reveal his existence. Edward wouldn't have told about him, either, until BD, when he touches Aro's hand, but since we've never had a clear description about how Aro's power works we've no idea if he learns of Fred then either. Demitri can't just track anyone, I assume he needs to meet them to get a mental link of sorts to them. Even if they knew of Fred, they still couldn't have used Demitri to track them, since he hadn't met Fred.

I also highly doubt he was at the "battle" (I use the term vaguely, cuz there wasn't any fighting) in BD, among witness or the Cullen's friends. Bella gave us a detailed list of everyone on their side, and we've discussed why Edward wouldn't have approached Fred for help elsewhere. Fred was too new to have met to Volturi, and they probably wouldn't have grabbed him by happenstance. He's too smart for that, plus his power, disqualifies that situation.
melmargaret
Wandering Through Town

Post by melmargaret »

dandyvampgirl_13 wrote:Demitri can't just track anyone, I assume he needs to meet them to get a mental link of sorts to them. Even if they knew of Fred, they still couldn't have used Demitri to track them, since he hadn't met Fred.

I also highly doubt he was at the "battle" (I use the term vaguely, cuz there wasn't any fighting) in BD, among witness or the Cullen's friends. Bella gave us a detailed list of everyone on their side, and we've discussed why Edward wouldn't have approached Fred for help elsewhere.
This could be true, but I don't think the Volturi would have left Forks quietly without a search for rogue newborns. After all, Jane isn't a trusting person (or vampire, however you want to put it). They would have found him, even if Demitri's power didn't have a 'mental link'. Demitri is probably talented at tracking the regular way.

My idea meant that he could have been on the Volturi's side in Breaking Dawn, but now that I look at it, Fred wouldn't have agreed to participate in it if he were still alive. Fred's more than likely dead, though.
melmargaret.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

melmargaret wrote:This could be true, but I don't think the Volturi would have left Forks quietly without a search for rogue newborns. After all, Jane isn't a trusting person (or vampire, however you want to put it). They would have found him, even if Demitri's power didn't have a 'mental link'. Demitri is probably talented at tracking the regular way.

My idea meant that he could have been on the Volturi's side in Breaking Dawn, but now that I look at it, Fred wouldn't have agreed to participate in it if he were still alive. Fred's more than likely dead, though.
FRED'S NOT DEAD. I had to let one Fred die, I refuse to have another one go!!!

And I highly doubt Demitri could track the conventional way. The Volturi rely so highly upon their gifts, they would never have seen the need to practice without them. Like Jane in BD, who doesn't know how to fight without her gift, he's probably mostly useless without his tracking power.

Fred's also too smart to let himself get caught. Even if they had gone lookingfor him, his gift is powerful enough that if he knew they were following, couldn't he have just turned it on against them, repelling them from finding him?
melmargaret
Wandering Through Town

Post by melmargaret »

And I highly doubt Demitri could track the conventional way. The Volturi rely so highly upon their gifts, they would never have seen the need to practice without them. Like Jane in BD, who doesn't know how to fight without her gift, he's probably mostly useless without his tracking power.

Fred's also too smart to let himself get caught. Even if they had gone looking for him, his gift is powerful enough that if he knew they were following, couldn't he have just turned it on against them, repelling them from finding him?
But wouldn't you think that tracking is a natural thing for vampires? Fighting has to be learned, but tracking comes with the whole vampire gig. Demitri would have more of a talent in this, kinda like James did, though he didn't have the special ability.
The book never said that once Fred uses his power at a certain place that it would hide his scent permenantly. After those twenty minutes of him hiding are up, wouldn't his scent come bubbling right back up to the surface? The Volturi would then have a perfect opportunity to track him.
melmargaret.
dandyvampgirl_13
So Jealous of Emily

No, his power wouldn't hide his scent, it would repel their desire to search for him. Even if they were looking for him, the searching would feel so bad to them that they'd have to stop. Fred's power is designed to make himself invisible, unnoticed. If they were looking for him anywhere in his vicinity, the guards present would be repelled, move away, think about him again, go back to search, and get repelled again. Either they'd figure out some way to avoid the repelling (I've thought of a few) or they'd give up.

However, this is still all based on the premise that they know about Fred. I don't think they do. Again, no vampire roster, no interrogations mentioning him, no mind readers, and nothing to connect him to the newborns. They were there to make sure aall the newborns were finished off, and it certainly seemed like the Cullens had gotten them all. There was no reason to doubt the young ones weren't all dead. No reason to search out old hiding places, and even then, had they come across his scent at say, a training ground, they would just assume they hadn't picked up his scent at the battlefield because he was among the first of the dead, or had taken a different path in. Why would there still be a newborn alive? There is honestly no reason for them to suspect a survivor.