A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Fresh Perspectives on Old Friends

Post by December »

Did the glimpses we get of the Cullens through Bree's eyes give you any new insight into their characters? What did you think about Jasper's reaction to Bree? (Was he actually trying to provoke her into losing her temper so he could kill her?). What did you make of her response to Edward? Carlisle? Bella?

Did you find it jolting to revist a familiar scene from a shockingly different perspective? In Eclipse, the prevailing mood is one of relief: the battle is over, everyone has survived, and Bree's fate is just a sad footnote. But for Bree, these are the final tragic moments of her life. A disconcerting reminder that each of us is the hero of our own story -- and as Stephenie says, no perspective is ever really trivial.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: Fresh Perspectives on Old Friends

Post by marielle »

I have to read the book again before I can really say something about Jasper's behavior towards Bree..

but I have to say, Carlisle's initial reaction made my heart ache...I would love for SM to write more about him....
and Esme as well, she protects Bree from Jasper, like only a mother could....

I do get Jaspers POV on the whole situation, his concerns are for his family and not for Bree....
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

I’m not sure Jasper wish to provoke an incident with Bree. He was in a battle; she was an enemy so… And with his power, he influences people without notice it. After she surrenders, he was suspicious, that’s sure, look how he didn’t trust any newborn, even Bella! And, somehow, if Carlisle wish to keep her, it’s better for anyone to test her in the battlefield; so if she will to be a treat to anyone, to be a danger for the family, it’s better to finish it before anybody get attach to her…

Carlisle and Esme was fabulous, as sweet and caring I always picture them… The ways Bree has a silent conversation with Edward make me shiver… It’s so desperate…

And Bella, we know now how she can be attractive to a vampire, to someone else than Edward. And somehow, I find Bree strong to resist to her, to have tried at only 3 months… And we have other point of view of how strange the behaviour of Bella may seem to vampire…

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Seeker-Mar
Wandering Through Town

Post by Seeker-Mar »

It was funny to hear Bree describe Edward as just, "the redhead." We are so used to seeing him though Bella's eyes as the Bronze Haired Angel. Ha ha.

It was an awesome surprise to realize that Edward was having this whole dialogue with Bree at the end of the book. The last two lines between them were beautiful and heartbreaking.

I think Jasper probably was trying to provoke her. I found him even more scary and dangerous after reading this.

I also think that Carlisle has more on his hands than I ever realised before. To see how hard it really is for vampires to choose humanity over being monsters. To see how hard Carlisle (and Esme) sometimes has to work to encourage them to make the moral choice.

I also understand more how Bella was able to resist the newborn blood crazies now. Bree had nothing to hang on to and was encouraged to live wild. Bella had her husband and baby to ground her in humanity and reality. Just like Diago was more human because he held onto his brother's memory.

I realized that Victoria was even more sadistic than I realised. Although, obliviously she was since she loved James and he was. I also lost any sympathy I had for Riley. I'll have to read that fight scene in Eclipse again and root even harder for Edward and Seth. ;-)

I also was shocked to see how involved Jane was in trying to destroy the Cullen's. Oh those evil Volturi! I loved it when Bree noticed how jealous she was of Alice and Bella. Ha ha!

What a fun and eye opening book.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure and full of quiet gentleness. Then it is peace-loving and courteous. It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others; it is full of mercy and good deeds. James 3:17
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Post by December »

Seeker-Mar wrote:It was funny to hear Bree describe Edward as just, "the redhead." We are so used to seeing him though Bella's eyes as the Bronze Haired Angel. Ha ha.

Yes!

It was an awesome surprise to realize that Edward was having this whole dialogue with Bree at the end of the book. The last two lines between them were beautiful and heartbreaking.

Oh God. Yes....

And I think I agree with you about Jasper. No malice, I think. He just wanted to protect his family (and especially Bella, I would guess!). But very scary in its cool deliberateness. All credit to Bree for somehow recognizing these feelings inside her and resisting them, even if she didn't -- couldn't -- actually know just how literally external they were to her.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

December wrote:And I think I agree with you about Jasper. No malice, I think. He just wanted to protect his family (and especially Bella, I would guess!). But very scary in its cool deliberateness. All credit to Bree for somehow recognizing these feelings inside her and resisting them, even if she didn't -- couldn't -- actually know just how literally external they were to her.
That exactly what I mean! Thank you to put this with the good words! :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Seeker-Mar wrote: I also think that Carlisle has more on his hands than I ever realised before. To see how hard it really is for vampires to choose humanity over being monsters. To see how hard Carlisle (and Esme) sometimes has to work to encourage them to make the moral choice.

I also understand more how Bella was able to resist the newborn blood crazies now. Bree had nothing to hang on to and was encouraged to live wild. Bella had her husband and baby to ground her in humanity and reality. Just like Diago was more human because he held onto his brother's memory.

I realized that Victoria was even more sadistic than I realised. Although, obliviously she was since she loved James and he was. I also lost any sympathy I had for Riley. I'll have to read that fight scene in Eclipse again and root even harder for Edward and Seth. ;-)

What a fun and eye opening book.
Very well written and I agree with you.
Banner by TammyAZ
Total Twilight Fan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Total Twilight Fan »

I think that Jasper was in full on survival mode at the end of the book, and that was His reluctance to accept that She had in fact given up. I think that His actions were justified, He could only sense what She was feeling, and even that might have been a lie and maybe He was confused- like He was with Bella- as to why she didnt want to fight with the Others.
He may have seemed a little harsh, but he knew what he was doing.

Carlisle seemed to have alot on his shoulders, I agree. He seemed reluctant to kill, because it went against His very nature. He wanted to believe that they still had their rational minds and that was why he seemed quite happy for Her to not want to fight. I think that Him standing up for her was nice, that He couldnt see someone destroyed when they had done nothing wrong.
::Team Jasper & Paul::
Sometimes life brings miracles, it brought me Twilight.
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

In Eclipse I really really really disliked Bree. She was the only enemy that we knew of (in the New born part). She annoyed me and disgusted me in the way that she wanted to kill Bella so much.
But now... after reading her full story. How she fell in love with Deigo (That I truly love), how she hated and avoided the "vamp gangs". I truly like her, more than a lot of the main charcters (such as Jasper and Rose).
Seeker-Mar wrote:It was funny to hear Bree describe Edward as just, "the redhead." We are so used to seeing him though Bella's eyes as the Bronze Haired Angel. Ha ha.

I think Jasper probably was trying to provoke her. I found him even more scary and dangerous after reading this.

I realized that Victoria was even more sadistic than I realised.
Th'at exactly my thoughts though I have things too add...

Jasper REALLY annoyed me.. He tried to do everything to make Bree explod and it made me angry after seeing her pov...

Victoria is horrible, horiffic, terrible and sadistic. I hate her so much, hated her before, hate her even more now (something that I thought was not possible.

It was really really weird to hear Edward as the redhead... I didn't understand who she was talking about at first :P

Seeker-Mar ~ I totally agree...
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

Yeah I didn't like Redhead, it made me kept imagining him with like Victoria colored hair.