A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

What if...?

Post by December »

What if Bree had been spared that day in the clearing? Do you think she could -- and would -- have joined the Cullens as a vegetarian vampire? She says "if being able to tolerate the human the way these strange vampires did was my only hope for survival, then I was already doomed. I couldn't stand the fire," but do you think she underestimates herself? Does her instinct to reciprocate Fred and Diego's kindness -- even through the red haze of a newborn's thirst -- suggest she's got the reserves of human empathy she'd need to draw on? Would the twin drives of self-preservation and gratitude be enough to make a Cullen of her?

What about Fred? If he does runs into the Cullens someday, do you think he might be inspired by their example to try their difficult way of life?
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: What if...?

Post by marielle »

Yes I do think Bree would have tried to fit in with the Cullens...
she felt that she owed them for vengence for Diego...and with Bella soon to be turned she wouldn't have to resist Bella as an temptation for a long time.

but it could be that Edward and Carlisle just explained her things, keep her in their midst for a few week and then let go of her..she could always go to Fred, Emmett could have tracked him down with her that same day...and invite him as well...
it would only have meant that the Cullen house wouldn't have been safe for Bella for a week or two...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Kate
Officially Bitten!
Location: Wandering in the town, holding my arm tightly around the hold in my chest…

Post by Kate »

I believe that Bree would have been able to live a “vegetarian life”. Think of it: she a newborn, she was always well feed so she didn’t use to feel the need of blood (Riley let them do almost everything they wish to if they were discreet)… And she was able to resist to Bella. It was painful, but she resists to her. And Bella seems to be worst than everything… Like a desert for someone on diet... Well feed and well train, she will probably be able to run away the temptation, and after a few year, maybe able to do a “normal” life. The only way of living she knows was blood and more blood. Give her other choice; I believe she would have taken it!

I don’t know enough of Fred to say… To choose a “vegetarian life” you need to have some respect for life. I don’t believe that someone like Raoul would have done it… For Bree, after what she lived and lost, I think she would have try it. She was intelligent; she would have understood the legitimacy of that life. For Fred, I can’t say… :)

Edit: And I just think of it when I brush my teeth... :) Bree seem to have a great willpower: she resisted to Fred power! :)

"When Kate met Garrett, she found something she'd never found [...]. She is currently attempting monogamy for the first time in her long life." S. M. The guide p. 157
gamb1t
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by gamb1t »

I believe that Bree would have joined the Cullens. I know she would have tracked down Fred before she tried, but I can 100% believe she would have joined the Cullens and their lifestyle. Jasper lived off human blood for what, 100+ years and still was able to change because of Alice....and I'm thinking that after seeing what happened to Diego, Bree would have realized the ultimate outcome if things didn't change. Also, I don't think Fred would have had too hard of a time changing since he seemed to have some Carlisle-ness in him because he was really mature and kind and didn't act like every other newborn did.
ImageImageImageImage
MiVidaLoca
Learning to Love Green

Post by MiVidaLoca »

I think she would have tried but I think they would have had to make sure she was watched all the time, until Bella was changed at least, which she probably would have felt better about to since she doubted her self control. But I think in time it would have gotten better and could have worked out.
Edwards Ragazza
Officially Bitten!

Post by Edwards Ragazza »

Yes I think Bree would have lived with the Cullens. She kinda already proved herself that she could do it at least that is how I felt reading it. If she couldn't maybe she would leave the Cullens and find Fred. I think though if she did live with the Cullens she would always be looking for Fred as well. He could relate to her after all that they had been through. He might try their life and if it works he might not live with them. Maybe he could find his own family or he might like being a loner to much to join any family.
Banner by TammyAZ
ffon2458
Settled in Forks

Post by ffon2458 »

I think she would have stayed w the Cullens for a while, then left to find Fred. I got the impression she genuinely liked him and really wanted to be w him, in the friendship sense.
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Yes I think that Bree could have and would have joined the Cullen's. She showed remarkable willpower for a newborn to resist attacking Bella there and then (and like Kate said, she was able to resist Fred's power and sit by him!). I think she was a little like Bella in this way...

With Carlisle's encouragement, and Jasper being able to read her emotions and Edward being able to read her thoughts, I think the Cullen's would defo be able to help Bree adjust to the vegetarian life. Maybe Fred would have joined them at some point...he did seem very mature for a newborn and didn't appear to be that interested in hunting.
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
rollie715
Wandering Through Town

Post by rollie715 »

I think with any vampire, especially a newborn, the craving or need for blood to survive is an instinct that seems to overpower all other desires. Many addictions can be overcome by complete abstinance, but this one can not in the sense of needing some kind of blood to survive, similar to how us humans handle our food addictions. The key to keeping these cravings under control is to keep a perspective of the benefits that will come by choosing the vegetarian path. Bree seems to have a vacuum in her life where she is without good trusting loving relationships and is drawn to people that can fill that void. The Cullens have what she is seeking, and I think she saw that almost immediately as she interacted with Carlisle, and the rest of the Cullens. I get the impression that newborns who stayed with the human diet, lost much of their previous ability or desire to maintain loving relationships, so it would be difficult for Bree to receive that fulfillment if she stayed a natural vampire.

Yes, I think that given a chance, she would have definitely chose and succeeded as an addition to the Cullen family. With her caring personality, the Cullens would have been well equipped to help lead her through the challenges of that choice.
What I enjoy the very most is when my… enhanced abilities let me save someone who would otherwise have been lost. It’s pleasant knowing that, thanks to what I can do, some people’s lives are better because I exist
- Carlisle Cullen
vampbball
Wandering Through Town

Post by vampbball »

rollie715 wrote:Bree seems to have a vacuum in her life where she is without good trusting loving relationships and is drawn to people that can fill that void. The Cullens have what she is seeking, and I think she saw that almost immediately as she interacted with Carlisle, and the rest of the Cullens. I get the impression that newborns who stayed with the human diet, lost much of their previous ability or desire to maintain loving relationships, so it would be difficult for Bree to receive that fulfillment if she stayed a natural vampire.
Huh. I agree with all this, but that's actually why I suspect that Bree wouldn't have stayed with the Cullens (but I like to think that she would have kept in touch). I see her as a Peter/Charlotte/Irish coven sort of character - decent vampire who really is comfortable being a vampire. Because Bree never had all the closeness that you mention, I think it would have taken her time for her to perceive it as desirable. She liked Fred because he didn't talk, didn't pressure her, was decent, but not too familiar. Fred was exactly her speed. (Even Diego surprised her with his affection and familiarity. Alice would have completely blown her over.) So yeah, I see Bree as a Cullen friend, but not a Cullen. Not for a few decades, at least.