A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Re: Diego

Post by The girlie-wolf »

misspikaboo wrote: I couldn't help but hope right along with Bree that Diego had somehow survived, right up to the end. I just wanted to think it was possible that the few good newborns would get their happy ending. :(
Me too... I really hoped...
Deigo is truly an amazing charecter... I loved him so much.
I knew from the minute that Bree saw Riely that Deigo was dead but I really really really hoped he didn't...

I have a couple of q's:

-Deigo is Spanish, right?
-Did he have a friendship with Riley? More than the others I mean...
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

The girlie-wolf wrote: -Deigo is Spanish, right?
-Did he have a friendship with Riley? More than the others I mean...

They never really say, but he does break out in Spanish randomly while talking to Bree, so I'd say it was a safe bet. ;)

And although we never get to see it, Bree, Raoul, and even Diego himself allude to a close bond between the two. Riley seemed to trust Diego more then the other newborns, and they were probably two of the oldest in the group. There was some kind of a bond there - which makes it all the more tragic that Riley had a hand in Diego's torture. Bree even noted the difference in Riley following Diego's end, she just didn't know what the cause was at the time. It came to a choice between friendship and love, and Riley made his loyalties known. :(
The girlie-wolf
Veggie-Vampire

Post by The girlie-wolf »

Thanx :D

I think that they have a bond but not a strong one. Maybe a little bit more than the others. But if Reily really cared about Deigo he wouldn't have killed him like that... It's kind of like Peter saved Charlote. He could have helped killing her but he saved her instead.
Shai~ on the ListV2! ~Bunches of teams~ Team Quil-Alpha
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

But I think the bond between mates is stronger then a bond between comrades. Sure, he might have liked Diego, but he honestly loved Victoria and thought she loved him in return. Even more so, maybe Riley thought that Diego's curiosity was a sign of disloyalty; Riley told the newborns specific rules about their kind and Diego went and disproved the biggest of them all. He shoved initiative enough to go against what he was told, to question those who made him, and Vicky was having none of that.

On a side note, maybe that was why those other newborns were killed, the ones who "saw the light", so to speak. It was not because they were now a threat on their own, but because their disloyalty was a treat to Victoria's control. By keeping them ignorant, Victoria remained the puppet master. But once they gained knowledge, it took away some of her power - power of which she needed the lions' share so that her plan for revenge could go off smoothly.
Tiger_kitten
Wandering Through Town

Post by Tiger_kitten »

edwardlikeshaystacks wrote:The only logical explanation that forms in my head is that Riley didn't know about the sun too and therefore took Diego to Victoria to share this fascinating news with her. [ Post made via Mobile Device ]
I think Victoria would let Riley in on any bit of information as trivial as "we can be in the sun" because that would be easy for him to find out otherwise, and if that happened he might turn on her due to the dishonesty. You don't want it to be possible for someone you are banking on so much to start to distrust you.

And on a sidenote, the moment Diego started to befriend Bree I was screaming in my head "No! No! Don't start to be her friend. That is going to get you killed!" I knew it. But I was so sad to find out I was right! I adored Diego. Anyone man enough to risk burning themselves permenantly for curiousity's sake is pretty awesome in my books. :D