A discussion of the novella The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Moderators: Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
December
Muse of Philosophical Discussion

Re: Vampire Gifts - and Their Scarcity in Bree Tanner

Post by December »

AyaDiefair wrote:Also, all the newborns were under a year old, in the frenzy stage. All they wanted was blood, blood, blood, so there could've been more newborns with gifts, they just couldn't realize them or figure them out because they were preoccupied with more important things in mind to them. If I write something about a young Vampire with a gift, I don't like them to realize the gift right away, it makes the story be able to go longer with the progression period of figuring out the gift, then learning how to use it, then learning when to use it.

An interesting thought.

Though you certainly get the feeling that powers like Edward's and Alice's were so overwhelming that there's no question of their not recognizing them until after their frenzied newborn bloodlust had begun to subside. Stephenie never talks about this, but one can only imagine Edward opening his eyes after his transformation and struggling to make sense of all the "voices" he hears, even when no one is speaking. How could he not realize something staggering had happened to him?

But it's true that it takes Bella time to develop her own gift in BD. So it might depend on the powers.
“When did you ever promise to kill yourself falling out of Charlie’s tree?”
katieb1229
Wandering Through Town

Post by katieb1229 »

Imagine this, maybe the gifts could be used to fight against eachotehr so more dealth among them = bad.
No powers = good

this could be because of the people.
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

December wrote: But it's true that it takes Bella time to develop her own gift in BD. So it might depend on the powers.
It does take time for her power to develop, but it was obvious even as a human that she had some sort of gift. The way I see it, every character has some feature about them that makes them stand out. And it's always some heightened feature from their previous life. So it may not be something along the lines of a gift or power, but instead just an enhanced trait.

Ah, found the quote from Twilight:
"Carlisle has a theory... he believes that we all bring something of our strongest human traits with us into the next life, where they are intensified - like our minds, and our senses."
So maybe each of the newborns has an intensified trait of some kind. I just wish it could have been explored in BT. Not, like, everyone suddenly showing off amazing powers like a bad fanfiction, but maybe focusing on what makes certain vampires like Bree and Diego special. Bree seems able to analyze everything she sees for understanding; she would be a stand out character among the rest of the vampires so Steph could have used her critical thinking skills to shed some light on this issue. Instead, we're just left with wild guesses and theories.
AyaDiefair
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by AyaDiefair »

misspikaboo wrote:
It does take time for her power to develop, but it was obvious even as a human that she had some sort of gift. The way I see it, every character has some feature about them that makes them stand out. And it's always some heightened feature from their previous life. So it may not be something along the lines of a gift or power, but instead just an enhanced trait.
This is true. Edward not being able to read her mind did point in the direction that she was going to have a gift as a Vampire.

And I forgot about that quote. Like Rosalie with her beauty and Emmett with his competitive personality. I can accept that all vampires have gifts, they just all aren't 'special' as the Volturi would call them. Speaking of, imagine the damage the Volturi would do if Fred joined them.

misspikaboo wrote:So maybe each of the newborns has an intensified trait of some kind. I just wish it could have been explored in BT. Not, like, everyone suddenly showing off amazing powers like a bad fanfiction, but maybe focusing on what makes certain vampires like Bree and Diego special. Bree seems able to analyze everything she sees for understanding; she would be a stand out character among the rest of the vampires so Steph could have used her critical thinking skills to shed some light on this issue. Instead, we're just left with wild guesses and theories.
I agree as well with this. It would've been nice to look deeper into the newborns and discover more gifts. It would've been interesting if a little more of Bree's life before she was turned was described?

Well, guesses and theories is what makes conversation and also fun to try and figure out the missing links with others. :3 Poor Diego though. Such a horrible end for the poor guy.
I was pale before Twilight made it look cool.
~Aya Diefair~
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

What I was really hoping for when reading BT - some insight into the life of an average newborn. I wanted to see how Bella's experience differed from someone who never got that warmth and support. I wanted to see more of Bree, to explore every corner of her personality as she comes through a new, dark world. Still, Steph did a very good job with BT in general, so I can't fault her there.

Yeah, poor Diego. There was something impossibly good about him from the start, even before Bree fully trusted him. I kind of felt like his enhanced trait might be a watered-down version of what Jasper does, like the ability to foster trust in others. Bree seemed to fight against it, but eventually she couldn't help but to open up to Diego, no matter how much her instincts fought against it. Not even Riley could resist his friendship, even if he did betray him in the end.
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

I agree with you on wanting to see a typical newborn compared to Bella being a newborn. Although Steph did layout the story well with BT, I think she could have done more with the different newborn perspective. But then again, that would have probably turned out to be a whole nother book in itself rather then just a short side story. Still, wishful thinking I suppose.

As for Diego, I couldn't agree with you more. He would have been a great character to flesh out more if his time didn't end so abruptly. He had such potential. In fact, I was really sad hearing he was killed.

Fred's story has got me curious as well; He went to Vancouver BC, I wonder where his travels and adventures would lead him? If BT was written before BD, I wonder if maybe Steph would've included him in the witnessing? Steph said herself after writing Bree's story she wished she ended Eclipse differently, I wish she did too. If Bree was allowed to join the Cullens imagine how different BD would've been. Although that would've shown 'weakness' on the Volturi's side, already letting the Cullen's get away with Bella being human and all, letting another law breakers into their covern would've made people start to question them...Ah, gotta love the what if's.

I liked how Steph included the Volturi into BT. It was like they were allowing Victoria to do her revenge thing only because the target was Bella, the human they didn't want alive anyways (Aro was unaware of the meeting at that time, of course. He would've found out eventually).
~Aya Diefair~
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

AyaDiefair wrote: I liked how Steph included the Volturi into BT. It was like they were allowing Victoria to do her revenge thing only because the target was Bella, the human they didn't want alive anyways (Aro was unaware of the meeting at that time, of course. He would've found out eventually).
I won't say anything in cause you haven't seen it yet, but we gain more insight on this in the Eclipse movie. I'm so glad the director got some inside knowledge from Steph because it really enhanced the movie, just sayin'. :)

AyaDiefair wrote:Fred's story has got me curious as well; He went to Vancouver BC, I wonder where his travels and adventures would lead him? If BT was written before BD, I wonder if maybe Steph would've included him in the witnessing?

I've wondered about that too. Upon realizing she was to die, Bree commented that she worried for Fred because he did not know these rules that were to be the death of her. You have to wonder if Fred ever did learn the rules, if he ever did meet up with other vampires, if he learned of the Volturi's existence. I can't imagine him surviving long if he hadn't, but then, I think he would have enough common sense to not draw too much attention to himself.

But not that we know Edward knew about Fred, why won't he contact him to meet Nessie? the more witnesses, the better. Seems Steph wrote herself into a corner there. Ah well. We'll just have to count it up to absentmindedness on Edward's part. :)
AyaDiefair

Post by AyaDiefair »

No, I haven't seen the movie yet, but am looking forward to it. I knew they were going to include some of the novella in it though for the non book reading fan base (which I am thinking a very few. My b/f has seen the movies, but doesn't read books so...) to get a little better idea of what is going on, etc. My mom went and saw all 3 movies at her theatre not even 2 weeks after reading the books so she had everything fresh in her head. I've been trying to get info outta her about the movie but she won't budge, I'll have to see it for myself.
misspikaboo wrote:
But not that we know Edward knew about Fred, why won't he contact him to meet Nessie? the more witnesses, the better. Seems Steph wrote herself into a corner there. Ah well. We'll just have to count it up to absentmindedness on Edward's part. :)
Yes I think she sort of did with that little detail. But oh well. I guess you will just have to take into consideration that it was written after BD. I suppose if you want to fill in the blanks maybe they couldn't find Fred, or maybe he declined, or maybe he was killed. Whatever the case was, if there was the option to re-edit BD to fit Fred in with it, how much more interesting it would've been and how much more longer it would've been.

Just for continuing conversations sake, I don't think the Volturi would've hunted Fred down mainly because the Volturi were told a certain number of newborns were on hand (20 or 21 not including Victoria I think it was), and Fred slipped through the cracks, and the Cullens stated (I think) that about 20 or 21 were in the mix total (including Victoria), so I would think that such a minor detail would be overlooked by the Volturi. If Fred did somehow play it smart (I would think he would) would he try to go and find more of his kind to join their covern (which again, I would think Fred would be more of the loner type, just by what went on in BT) or if he became just a ... wanderer.

Gosh Steph is real good about making people curious about some things.
~Aya Diefair~
ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Post by ringswraith »

Even if Edward did learn of Fred's existence via Bree, it's doubtful that he'd attempt to search him out to be a witness.

Edward (indeed, any of them) don't know Fred. They approached vampires they've met throughout the years, vampires they trust to hear them out- it's highly unlikely they'd approach someone they've never met and ask of them such a favor.
misspikaboo
Learning to Love Green

Post by misspikaboo »

AyaDiefair wrote:
Just for continuing conversations sake, I don't think the Volturi would've hunted Fred down mainly because the Volturi were told a certain number of newborns were on hand (20 or 21 not including Victoria I think it was), and Fred slipped through the cracks, and the Cullens stated (I think) that about 20 or 21 were in the mix total (including Victoria), so I would think that such a minor detail would be overlooked by the Volturi. If Fred did somehow play it smart (I would think he would) would he try to go and find more of his kind to join their covern (which again, I would think Fred would be more of the loner type, just by what went on in BT) or if he became just a ... wanderer.
He does seem the type to be out on his own, but I'd worry for him if that was the case. Although he seems the type to be careful, he does not know the Volturi's rules. Granted, there aren't that many and the few that do exist are fairly basic - keep the secret, remain inconspicuous - but it's dangerous to go into a world like there's not knowing the full picture. One slip up, one mistake, and it could be all over for Fred. The Volturi don't give second chances and ignorance of the law is not a good excuse in their eyes.

On a side note, did it ever feel like Fred might have had feelings for Bree? I mean, he wanted him (and Diego) to join him if they managed to survive. And he lifted his power around her and protected her (and Diego again) from Raoul's wrath in the hideout. Yes, Diego was there in the equation, too, but Fred didn't know Diego so he might as well have been doing it all for Bree. I dunno, it just seems like it's sort of important: Fred's power allows him to keep everyone away, so we know he is a bit anti-social; but despite this, he lets Bree get close to him, looks out for her, and even seems to enjoy her company. That he was willing to lift his power from around her speaks volumes, I think, as his power is his main source of protection. It reminds me of Bella lifting her shield so that Edward might finally read her mind - there's something intimate about it, about bearing yourself to someone else even when you has the means to keep them away.