The Paparazzi and the Press

Where we discuss and converse on topics that have meaning that transcends the Twilight Universe

Moderator: Openhome

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: The Paparazzi and the Press

Post by Tornado »

Hi, I'm just joining this topic, and I'm sorry if I'm covering old ground, but I just wanted to nail my colours to the mast, so to speak.
I think that a lot of the responsibility for this problem, unfortunately, lies with the public. As long as people keep buying the magazines, watching the shows, and visiting the websites that publicise these photos, they will continue to take them. We need to educate the consumer, such as other Twilight fans, so that they can be aware of the terrifying situations that their favourite celebrities can end up in because they (the fan) buy such-and-such a magazine.
I visit twifans website regularly and post now and then, but they often publish pap stuff, which really annoys me. I have spoken out against it once or twice, but I am studiously ignored. They like that stuff. They honestly think it's their right to know whether or not Rob and Kristen - or whoever - are dating. And until we change their minds, this kind of stalking from paps will continue.
Chernaudi
Tantalizing Men With Rosalie

Post by Chernaudi »

And to be honest, that's why sometimes I can't stand the fans of certain personalities. I can't stand some of Rob's fans for the same reason I can't stand Dale Earnhardt Jr. fans--some of them think they can do no wrong even after Rob or Dale admit openly to not being perfect. And I can't stand people who know that their actions feed what the paps do, let along justify their actions by saying that the likes of Kristen and Rob should've expected such treatment! That's pretty ignorant and self-centered if you ask me. How would these people like to be put in such a situlaiton? Believe, if they give Kristen and Rob crap for how they've handled it (which is better than most actual celebs have), they'd show their true colors when subjected to the same treatment.

As for the paps, I'd personally like for them to have an up close encounter with the rear of the most recent 24 Hours of Le Mans winner, the Audi R18 TDI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R18_TDI

Just tie a street luge to the rear towing lanyard and let the R18 rip down the road at 205 mph. And they'd be right behind the rear exhaust pipe, where the can hear, feel, smell and taste that TDI diesel power. You may say that what I've proposed is cruel and unusual punishment, but what the paps do is cruel and unusual, right? It's certainly cruel.

I don't know what the laws are in Austrailia, but their police forces have Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores (same make and models that run in the V8 Supercar championship), which would put any pap car to shame that's used by them to chase people around in. Lets hope they're put to good use against the paps, and are used to chase them down and cart them off to prison for not only endangering the lives of the people that they're chasing, but the innocent as well. And if someone gets hurt in an accident involving paps, especially innocent people, I personally hope that at minimum that they get sued, and the media company that they represent gets sued into administration/Chapter 11 bankruptcy, let alone how the innocent people/witnesses involved might retaliate.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

Team Renesmee, Team Bella, Team Edward.

Fan fic stories: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2192109/
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I remember one girl at another site criticised Rob for saying that he didn't like all the pap stuff and the attention. She said, "Rob, just imagine what it would be like if you walked down the street and no one noticed." As if it was a foregone conclusion that he'd be horrified at such a thing! I replied, "I actually think he'd like that very much!"
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

Shows you how ignorant some of these "fans" are. People like that are band wagon, fair weather fans, who I feel don't know one iota about what these people go through for the sake of their profession. These people think that just because you have money and fame, that you've got it made. But they don't seem to appreciate how much work goes into what they do, and it's not always fun, either.

Kristen and Rob didn't sign up for fame, as Summit was a small indie film company that was emerging from Chapter 11 bankruptcy that resulted in the current management taking over, who jumped on Twilight as a way of breaking even. Now Summit is one of the most profitable film companies in the world. However, unlike Kristen and Rob, they've let money and fame go to their heads and they're presented in the media as arrogant jerks, which might be at least in part true, but that's another discussion.

Kristen, Rob, and Taylor, for that matter, haven't let fame go to their heads, they don't care that much about the money, and are just happy to be making movies. And I can't name three people in H'Wood, let alone the Twilight cast (aside from Peter and Nikki, of course :) ) who actively take time out for their fans.

So to those people who get on their cases for occasionally criticizing the negative aspects of what they do, I don't wanna hear a peep out of them for whinin' about their crappy job, let alone if they get money and fame, and the good and the bad that comes with it. I mean, I don't like Justin Bieber very much, but I don't go on forums and stuff and trash him. If other people thought that way, this discussion wouldn't be happening.
Audi, Twilight, Cher, Pink Floyd, symphonic/progressive rock, KStew, RP, Bio-Booster Armor Guyver-what's not to like

smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

IMHO, the guideline for judging celebrity behavior and behavior about celebrities is ... the same as for judging anybody else: the Golden Rule. How would you really behave, in the same situation? (Remember to take everything, including deliberate misquoting and out-and-out lying by the media, into account.) How should people behave towards each other?

So, when people with cameras, shouting out provocative statements, are following your car and impairing your ability to drive safely, what would you really do? (A lot of people would use uncouth hand gestures and/or speed up.) If people were printing rude assumptions about your romantic life in the national media, how would you feel?

Just because any actor knows that there is a risk of immense and annoying celebrity (a tiny risk, but real) does not mean that they "should have expected it" or somehow deserve it ... any more than a girl walking alone (regardless of time or place) should expect to be physically assaulted. (I know there is a difference in the amount of wrongness of the behavior, but not that much difference, and still wrong.)

Again, preaching to the choir here, but this is the kind of thread that ideas can spread out from.
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
Tornado

Post by Tornado »

Yes, it's amazing how skewed some people's judgement can be, especially on this issue. Another girl was cricitizing the guy who stars in Red Riding Hood (I can't remember his name) who was also up for the part of Edward. He said in an interview that he was really glad he didn't get it, because he didn't think he'd like the level of fame that Rob has to deal with. The girl (and some of her friends) all said, "Ha! He's lying! Of course he'd love it! How could you not love that!" How could they be so naive? Don't they even think of the consequences of all that attention?

I remember too, the footage of Rob when he was being followed in his car by the paps. The name on the file was something like "Rob loses it with paps". I watched it, and he didn't even swear at them! He was really polite! Hell, I would have got so frustrated I probably would have rammed them with my car! I agree that the three of them seem really well adjusted, and I hope they stay that way.
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

Just read the article on TL's news page where Peter praises Kristen and Rob for how they've handled their sudden fame. I swear that lesser people would've caved and turned to drugs and suicide and other negative things used to deal with this crap.

As much as people tend to feed it, the media is to blame for baiting them. It's all done to make money, it's all about the bottom line.

Benoit Treluyler, Andre Lotterer and Marcel Fassler were virtually unheard of as racing drivers, except in Europe and Japan until they won the 24 Hours of Le Mans this year. Of course, sportscar racing, the LM24 aside, isn't much of a mainstream sport in America, but they're not expeiencing a bit of sudden fame because they won the biggest sportscar race--and one of the world's--biggest races held each year.

However, the press coverage of their win is nothing on what Kristen and Rob and Taylor have to deal with. And just like racing and winning at Le Mans, you have to expeirence it to understand it.

Maybe we should have some of these ignorant people live the life of their fav. celeb for a day or two, and do the same to the paps and tabloid writers and other greedy, money-grabbing media parasites. Maybe then they'll learn that people like Kristen, Rob, and Taylor are people, too, just like you or I are. And maybe they'll learn that money and fame aren't everything that it's cracked up by them to be.

Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I so wish they could experience it, Chernaudi. The level of ignorance displayed about this kind of stuff is mind-blowing. I had another conversation with someone about the royal family once, and she said to me, "I would love to swap places with them! They have so much, and all they do is complain about the press, even though they get everything handed to them on a silver platter!" I truly wish she could take their place, then she would find out just how terrible that kind of thing can be. Why do people think that having lots of money and possessions somehow makes up for the loss of privacy? Are we really that shallow?
Chernaudi

Post by Chernaudi »

Some pap photos have gotten out of Kristen's car accident (which I think it overstating it--her Mini was hardly damaged when it was rear-ended), and of Kristen at her home.

Stalking much?

Tornado

Post by Tornado »

I didn't even know she'd had a car accident! I love not reading popular magazines!