Is Bella a good role model??
While teens might be turning the pages of Twilight for the plot and romance, other takeaways from the books may be having a lasting impact, too... Some critics have argued that Bella’s passivity, and the story’s abstinence-until-marriage message, are anti-feminist.
From MSNBC Article wrote:“If you look very, very clearly at what kind of values the ‘Twilight’ books propagate, these are very conservative values that do not in any way endorse independent thinking or personal development or a woman’s position as an independent creature,” Nikolajeva said. “That’s quite depressing.”
Okay, so we don’t really want to pick on MSNBC, but this is a serious topic with many strong opinions on each side. It is also a topic that we think deserves a place in the Lexicon where it can be discussed in an open and friendly manner.
Since it is probably one of the most hotly debated issues about Twilight, it also has the potential cause a great deal of conflict. To avoid that, the rules of the forum will be strictly enforced.
- 1. Get Real! We are discussing the impact of a fictional book here. No one needs to attack the books or the author over this discussion.
2. Keep all discussion on topic and respectful. Every one of us has their own views and has a right to those views. Respect the right for people to live their lives and choose their beliefs. I may not like what a person says, but I respect their right to say it.
3. Be kind. Do not attack any person. You may disagree with their position, and are welcome to say so, but you may not hurt them personally. Personal attacks will be removed by the mods.
4. Stay respectful of other viewpoints. We are discussing the social impact of a single book on many cultures. We have posters from all over the globe, and one person’s “norm” may not be another’s.
5. Be willing to agree to disagree. There are no right answers to many of the questions this topic raises.
6. Don’t be easily offended. Please do not allow your feelings to get hurt by what another person says. You may disagree with each other, but that doesn’t mean that they are attacking you or that you have attacked them. Often the tone that we read into a post isn’t the one that the writer intended.
Ping a mod if the discussion gets to hot. We will be watching this thread carefully and may step in as needed.