Gutter Gals & Guys School for Cullen-ary Arts --Adult Thread

NovaAlbion
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Gutter Gals & Guys School for Cullen-ary Arts --Adult Thread

Post by NovaAlbion » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:48 pm

nissanmama wrote:Twilight Moment: Whenever we go out to eat and someone asks me for a name, I never give them my real name. (They only ask for "a" name not "my" name.) ... Whenever we go to dinner with friends they always have to ask "What name is our reservation under?" I went to lunch withT-pa today and when they asked me for a name to go with my order, I told them my name was Alice. I think I'm going to use nothing but TW names from now on.
What a great idea! Not only packed with potential amusement, but any accompanying teenagers, should they pay attention, will be totally mortified! (Of course, some would have the same reaction if you used their real name, or even your own. Mortification is what they do best - at least with parents, in public.)

No Halloween candy yet. I don't know if I'll participate or not, but each year my ward (LDS congregation) has a "Trunk or Treat". Usually the Saturday preceding Halloween, we get together for food & games. Then the kids go "door-to-door" or from trunk-to-trunk in the parking lot. Some cars have elaborate decorations, others have just the candy giver. (I've been thinking about what I could do on a Twilight related theme, but haven't come up with a satisfactory idea yet.) No masks but plenty of fun costumes, especially for the little kids. A lot of the parents are quite creative.
"Stories have to be told or they die, and when they die, we can't remember who we are or why we're here." Sue Kidd Monk, The Secret Life of Bees, Chapter 6

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4332809/1/Out_Of_The_Blue

Kymberli
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Kymberli » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:52 pm

Trunk or Treat! Yes, a lot of churches in my area do that too. Last yeat there were so many cars at the church that we went to, my girls could have each used a 5-gallon bucket to collect candy. We had their pumkins full, two wal-mart bags full, and all mine and JPE's pockets full :lol:

nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:54 pm

NovaAlbion wrote:I don't know if I'll participate or not, but each year my ward (LDS congregation) has a "Trunk or Treat".
We used to have a really big Trunk or Treat in our last ward. I opened the back gate of my SUV and decorated it like a giant, gaping mouth with fangs and a tongue rolling out on to the ground.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry

BlueStarlight
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by BlueStarlight » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:10 pm

Oh my goodness! I had my first Twilight Moment Tuesday! I was checking my email, and hubby was in the living room watching tv. A commercial came on for life insurance, and he hollers out "oh, I up-graded your life insurance policy at work." I was like "ok." He says, "I did it so I can buy a motorcycle after you die." We joke about that- he keeps asking if he can get one, and I tell him, "sure, after I die, you can spend your money however you want." I started laughing uncontrollably, and ran into the living room, tears in my eyes from laughter and say, "why? Are you going to drive around trying to endanger yourself just so you'll hear my silky voice after I'm gone??" He looked at me strangely, so I had to explain the whole Bella-gets-a-motorcycle-after-Edward-leaves-her thing to him!
Last edited by BlueStarlight on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destani
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by Destani » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:12 pm

I'm not a big fan of M. Night Shyamalan. I loved Unbreakable, the comic book geek in me couldn't help it, and I thought The Sixth Sense was pretty good. He lost me with Signs, though. I really didn't like it. My husband brought home The Happening but we never got around to watching it. I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

I haven't touched any Halloween candy this year, mainly because I didn't buy any. I did the trick or treat thing up until I was about 12 or 13. After that, I would just dress up to hand out candy or walk my brother around the block. After I moved away from home, I gave out candy for a few years but the trick or treaters started dwindling. I'd buy 4 bags of candy and not even give out one full bag. Then, my husband moved in with me and he worked 3rd shift and slept in the evenings so I stopped giving out candy altogether. He doesn't work 3rd shift anymore but I decided not to go back to giving out candy because it felt like such a wasted effort when nobody showed up.
Images courtesy of: http://robbuz.deviantart.com/

Lynzeee
Decorating with Esme

Post by Lynzeee » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:13 pm

I have so many twilight moments, Now when my Husband doesn't understand what i am saying to him, he says to me" is it a twilight thing?" he catches on really quick. I just laugh and say yes. then he says something really snarky and mean, and then i say something snarky back, then we make up. gotta love twilight moments! :D
Keeper of The Randomness
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"-Acheron Parthenopaeus

nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:18 pm

BlueStarlight wrote:He says, "I did it so I can buy a motorcycle after you die."
I don't think you were here yet, but T-pa bought a Harley this last June. It's exactly as you see it in the photo except we added a back-rest for me. We went round and round about the cash outlay, risks, etc. We finally decided I get plastic surgery out of the deal and truth be told (out of his ear shot) he looks kinda hot in the leather jacket. :twisted: The man really is a Jacob. At least he's read the books. I can look at him, sigh, and say, "I need a little more Edward" and he knows what I mean. (Of course sometimes I say I need a little more Rhage...he's read those too!)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry

LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:59 pm

Halloween candy question: oh yeah! I've bought a box of mini chocolate bars just for my office. When the meetings have gone too long, or I feel like I'm not on top of my game, I take a bite and enjoy.

I just finished reading "The Darkest Night", the first book in the "Lords of the Underworld" series. Think Rhage's torment multiplied by a hundred! It was very good. Definitely BDB-like on the ladder!

Had a Twilight moment today - my music students had to take a tune and make new lyrics for it. One group decided to make it an Edward / Twilight song. Naturally, I approved. :D If I remember, I'll post them here later.

My own children got their Halloween pictures taken today. (Yes, I take them to a photo studio to have them done. Long story.) They were really cute as a penguin and an ice princess. My girl will be a Tokyo Pop Princess for school and my boy will be Handy Manny. (Speaking of which, why is it so expensive to ship things from the US to Canada? We aren't that far away! I wanted to order Handy Manny gloves [cost = $4.99] and it was going to cost $12 in shipping!)

I dressed up when I gave out candy at the door, and I dress up when I take my own kids trick or treating. Hubby does door duty.

As for Misfit's question on the movie - I do worry about the movie, because the visuals intrude into my own conceptualization of the characters (Daniel Radcliffe is part of what I see Harry as, even though my own vision had him as darker and skinnier.)
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:23 pm

I kinda sortta had a Twilight moment last night. It was really late. I was doing the "Addicted to Twilight" app on Myspace, and somewhere around question 4995, one of my possible answers (out of four) was ... "Something Blue." Let's see, it's a Twilight moment because I thought of the Godmother, but she borrowed the name from Buffy, so is it a Twilight moment or a Buffy moment? It's a conundrum.

Di: I think it's awesome that you & your family are so into Halloween. I would love to see the Halloween photo.

I walked 2 miles today. I know it's not a lot, but it felt really good. I was just telling Nima that I don't want to diet, but I need to make a lifestyle change. Unfortunately, I'm super lazy.

On the M. NIght Shymalan movies, yes, his movies progressively get a little "worse" for some people. However, I like his movies. I like that they are different. He makes movies to make himself happy. "Signs" is my favorite because of the relationship between the characters, the humor, and the suspense. I like the neat little message, too. My favorite scene is when Merrill sits on the bed with the kids and they are all wearing aluminum hats. I also enjoy the subtlies in his movies. I've had to watch "Signs" and "Lady in the Water" a couple of times to catch all the symbols and clues. Superficially, the movies may not seem exciting, but looking deeper one can see the beauty in them.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!

una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:08 pm

LadyDi, I'm excited then! I am on the waiting list for all three of the "Lords of the Underworld" and if it is as guttery-good as BDB, whew! Also, we'd love to see the pictures of the kids. Kids always look so cute in their costumes.

I am excited. I'm actually going to an adult dress-up party for Halloween. I haven't been to one since college. Hubby and I are dressing in medieval costumes and it should be fun, we know most of the people that are going. I'll get a picture and post it later.
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!