Gen Y -- The 20 something's thread

Dazzled_by_Cullens
Touched By Cold Hands

Re: Gen Y -- The 20 something's thread

Post by Dazzled_by_Cullens »

Wingtear- Welcome back. I hope the honey moon was great :D

MRK- I am a hockey fan too and I live in Chicago and the Hawks are doing REALLY well. I do enjoy the games but I still love baseball more. Probably bc I played softball when I was a kid and I haven't been on the ice since I was 12. I got hurt really badly and have been scared to get back out there. It was so sad that they didn't win the classic :( My friends' dad John McDonough is actually the president of the blackhawks and used to be over with the Cubs before. So obviously she went to the game and said she has a lot of fun.
I left my heart on the Gen Y thread...I my LEXILY
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

YAY! Welcome back Ninna & Lily!
Lily- You're right, the Cafe has died down quite a bit, but I blame Ninna's absence for that. I totally agree about the free college thing. My grandfather always talks about how he went to college for free back in the day... rub it in why don't ya Grandpa. But yeah, that's another reason I'm in awe of all of you who are going to med school. I hope you and your bf make up soon, that is one thing I don't miss about being in a relationship... all the little arguments :roll:
CappuGirl- Men can be pretty dense, so sometimes you need to flat out tell them how you are feeling even if it is going to hurt them. Otherwise, they won't know to make any changes. Sounds like he's getting his act together a bit though, so I hope he continues to help you out. Don't we all wish relationships were easier? :lol:
Eddie- I'm glad vampire_elf mentioned it, because I was wondering what Ultimate was too... I was thinking Ultimate Frisbee, Ultimate Fighting... I don't know, but I'm sure there are other sports that can be "Ultimate" as well.
vampire_elf- I guess skiing is pretty big here, there are lots of places to ski in the area where I live. I think it definitely depends on the area of the US that you live in, because those living in the flat, warm places of the country may not get the opportunity to do so much. Of course, I've never been, and there's tons of places I could go to. I've never been ice skating either :oops:
Paulinha- That's no attitude to have! I too am looking for my Edward, which is probably an unrealistic thing to be looking for :lol: But that's just because no real man can be as perfect as him, I'm sure we can all find men who we can accept despite their flaws and who may love and respect us as much as Edward loves and respects Bella. Don't worry though, I definitely have days where I feel like it's hopeless. Actually, I have a lot of days like that, but in the end, I think it's important not to give up hope. We just can't all set our standards at Edward's level... we might just have to settle for Jacobs instead ;)
Ninna- I want to hear all about your trip! Fill us in when you can find the time :)
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

Maria- has the hubby had any "interesting" responses to being bitten lately? :twisted:

CB- I don't run the Cafe by myself you know... Just like dancing, it takes more than one to make it ROCK!!!

the honeymoon...
We didn't get the opportunity to find a hotel, too bad... We had to refrain from bringing down the house and such. We did however get the bedroom while the in-laws slept on the sofa bed and the owner of the place slept on a air-mattress in a empty apartment a floor down (it's awaiting renovations). All pillows and headboards survived (to most peoples disappointment it seems...) and his parents were sound asleep the whole time. Considering the amount of liquor they consumed that wasn't so strange... Felt funny, we're married and still have to sneak... :roll:
So, I hope that in 9 months something will come along that can be labeled "made in the USA" :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:
It's however VERY nice to be home, and I know for a fact that "made in Finland" is also a sign of good quality
We went to pier 17, walked on Broadway, saw the lady from the Staten Island ferry, visited "top of the rock", passed Times Square by car, being very happy we had already decided we didn't wanna be there at the turn of the year. We also went to a big (at least in my universe) mall, D bought a lot of clothes, I bought two pairs of jeans and electronics... What amazed us the most was the food prices and we actually enjoyed Costco in Brooklyn most of all the places we went. Seriously, for the amount of money we feed the two of us here, back home, we could feed a family of five over there... And that is with the New York prices that I later heard was high... We have already decided to go back. The summer of 2010 is the plan right now. What we didn't tell people was that we talk about staying for a year or so. If D gets his degree :roll: he has really good chances of getting a job and a greencard at the same time. And I'd hopefully be at home with a baby, so I wouldn't have a trouble following him.
Last edited by Wingtear on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
MRK
Fishing with Charlie

Post by MRK »

Dazzled_by_Cullens wrote:Wingtear- Welcome back. I hope the honey moon was great :D

MRK- I am a hockey fan too and I live in Chicago and the Hawks are doing REALLY well. I do enjoy the games but I still love baseball more. Probably bc I played softball when I was a kid and I haven't been on the ice since I was 12. I got hurt really badly and have been scared to get back out there. It was so sad that they didn't win the classic :( My friends' dad John McDonough is actually the president of the blackhawks and used to be over with the Cubs before. So obviously she went to the game and said she has a lot of fun.

HAHA...sry I'm kinda happy Hawks lost :P lol

As for Edward not being real...he isn't real, and it's not a perfect relationship...if it were he wouldn't have left...or been so obsessive etc. I think it was a very real depiction. My husband isn't THE EDWARD....but he is my Edward....meaning he loves me completely, and tries very hard to do what's best for me...even if he comes out looking like a jerk at times :)

*waves to all the cafe girls*

ETA~ Ninna! I sure hope your baby has a little "Made in the USA" label!!!!
And it would be sooo awesome if you moved here...I would sooo have to meet you!!!
Good luck with everything!!
Cymbrelynn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Cymbrelynn »

Sorry, guys for posting my mysterious Lush reference and then disappearing for 2 days! Busy wrapping up the holidays with the final family parties and all that. So, whew. It's over. Work is going to be so depressing tomorrow...

So, here is the deal with Lush: It's just a store that sells bath and beauty products and whathaveyou (can they pay for this advertising? :) ) The thing about Lush is that it's highly addicting. And these people know it too. And they're smart about it because they created a forum for their company where all the addicts can congregate and just talk about their different Lush products. Seriously, people buy stuff from Lush then take pictures of it and post it in the forums. Then everyone comments on how great it all looks. It's pretty ridiculous (but fun!). Anyway, every month they have a "Lush Swap" where you sign up your name, receive another name, then the 2 of you swap addresses and send each other a neat little package of Lush gifts. It's neat and cute and if anyone would be actually willing to do our own version (if that's even allowed...hmm...) I'd be happy to organize it. http://www.lushusa.com/shop http://forum.lush.com/forum/index.php

I'm so glad you had a good time in NYC, Ninna! I love New York and wish I could visit more often. Lucky you with that exchange rate working in your favor. It's just too expensive for me! And good luck with your dreams about coming back :)

CB, I used to be "looking for my Edward" but then I gave up. Then I started falling in love with fictional men from all over the place. I think one day I'm going to place a personal ad that will go: "If you think you combine all the best qualities of Edward Cullen, Henry DeTamble, Rudy Steiner, Mr. Darcy, Ashoke Ganguli et al. please kindly reply. Oh hell, if you think you are in any way like any of them. Please." I think anyone who can even recognize all of those characters would be a start. My mom always told me that no man was worth dating until they are at least 25. Maybe we should aim higher in our age range?

Paulinha, don't be discouraged. My personal theory is that we can't truly love another person until we truly love ourselves and are completely okay with being alone. That's why I have my (temporary) ban on dating. I'm trying to build up my confidence in myself and make myself the best me I can be. The kind of love that exists between Edward and Bella is, unfortunately, a fantasy. I kind of see that as a good thing, though. It's a love so otherworldly that being without the other will literally kill them. It's good that doesn't really exist. Real love is about much more mundane things than you'll read about in books. I've got another suggestion to add to your list of books to get from amazon: The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. It's one of my favorite love stories but it would never be described or marketed that way. It's just the simple documentation of married life. And it's beautiful.

And in case anyone is curious about what I did with the text from the guy...I ended up just ignoring it. Partially from forgetting entirely about it (oops!) and partially because I didn't really want to respond to him anyway. I feel bad but not bad enough to do anything about it. We only went on one date and he ignored me too for a couple of weeks. And I don't have any intentions of trying to hang out with him in a friendly way while dragging him on wondering about how I feel about him. So I think it's okay...
"Your hold is permanent and unbreakable. Never doubt that." EC
My avatar is from emaleth@vesperarium!
vampire_elf
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by vampire_elf »

If you want cheaper college education, come to Austria. University used to be for free here but in 2001 the introduced study fees. But it's only about Euro 400 per semester (I think it's the double amount for non-European students, though). Still, people, being used to free education complained and from March onwards studying in Austria is for free once again. :D

I know Lush! They have great stuff and everything smells so delicious! The also have this make up store as an addition to all the bath products (I forgot the name). Great stuff but rather expensive (or so I thought).

Banner by the amazing MRK!
Obsessed 20 something Twilighter
Ianua
Wandering Through Town

Post by Ianua »

vampire_elf wrote:If you want cheaper college education, come to Austria. University used to be for free here but in 2001 the introduced study fees. But it's only about Euro 400 per semester (I think it's the double amount for non-European students, though). Still, people, being used to free education complained and from March onwards studying in Austria is for free once again. :D

I know Lush! They have great stuff and everything smells so delicious! The also have this make up store as an addition to all the bath products (I forgot the name). Great stuff but rather expensive (or so I thought).
I wish British education was free! Though you only have to start paying back your loan for study fees/living etc. when you have a full-time job. But still, it makes my eyes water to think how much i'll be in debt when I finish my degree. Then i'll probably do my masters degree, to accumulate a bit more debt, then get a job :D

As for the lush make-up think I think It's called 'B never too busy to be Beautiful'. But the make up is super-expensive, and the only shop i've ever seen is in london. I love lush shower gel. Expensive, but so worth it.
EddieC
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by EddieC »

Twilight 813 - Hockey has it's up days and down days, it's usually very competitive, but in a season long worth of games, you can't blame the guys for taking it easy on the hits at times

Football is fun! I used to follow it, but school sucked up my life.

I find that the stoppage time is too long though, it needs to be more continuous

MRK - lol, there's nowhere to go but up!

Eddie's Video Link of the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkj7TVzK ... re=channel

:O And EPIC! That was a good game eh? The whole Wrigley thing was really amazing!

And awww, $$$ sucks, if you can't do it, don't, I really think good and safe equipment is the best thing for the kid

CappuGirl - YAY Hockey! And Huzzah with connecting with people around the world that also love the sport

Awww! I didn't mean that! I just didn't know what you were saying! But what you said made sense, I'm sure he cares for you alot and just wants you to be happy.

Cheer up! Smile!

vampire_elf - Don't worry! Not much people have! It's a sport played with a flying disc and played like football, has elements of soccer and basketball involved

it's mostly a college sport here in North America, but I've been playing since high school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFuSWphb ... re=related

Paulina - But but but, he thinks he's everything to her.... it's not fair to her!

Awww, and *hugs* what makes you say that silly! :D You just need to wait for life to come around!
Twilight813 wrote:how is everyone today?? i got into a fight with the BF this morning, i dont want to go to his families house for dinner and he got mad oh well i need some time for myself.
:( Thats always the problem eh? Plans might go astray cause of a fight once or twice, not fair to either of you two :(

And take your time! He should at least understand that!

Sam - lol, XD Just watch the YouTube link above, the reason I don't call it ultimate frisbee is that it sounds... more silly and less of a sport that way

WingTear - CUTE! Sounds awesome and hope you had lots of fun!

MRK - Edward is real, but it's relative, it's who you ask and how they view him XD

Hey! I'd think I'd make a good Edward, I've got all the emotional/sweet stuff going on... I just have to learn to play jazz piano...
All about Flash Mobs
... bit of a Geek
... Ultimate happy
... and a hopeless romantic
Wingtear
Playing Thunderball

Post by Wingtear »

MRK - I PM'ed you on another issue. Where in the US do you live?

I've landed a terrible cold since I came home. Awful! I looked over the honeymoon pictures quickly, around 300... Well, a few of them comes up on FB tonight, and I have to go see my sister, who has a camera full of wedding pictures I haven't seen.

About College fees I know nothing, but in the University here you pay for your books only, and for a few keys and such. No tuition as far as I know. D's been able to do without any loans so far, that's good.

Sports... I dislike sports... kind of schizophrenic as I devote 4 nights a week to sporting activities... but judo isn't a sport, it's just fun, and neither is aquagymnastics or bootcamp, that's just exercise...
Well, honestly, I couldn't kick a ball straight (or hit it) if my life depended on it, and I dislike watching sports on TV, I generally dislike watching TV, I have mine to watch movies/DVD's on.
Banner and avatar by the amazing MRK
sarina1113
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by sarina1113 »

Time to play catch up! Welcome newcomers!

CappuGirl - Tame you down? Psh, you can rant all you want :) WOOOO FOR JB!

Eddie - I used to be a computer science major but I realized that I had no enthusiasm whatsoever to program. I mean, I liked to program but only to an extent. So I just switched my major to information technology: light programming and a lot more design centered.

Paulinha - Hang in there hun! I feel the same way at times too and it almost like I will never ever get to experience love and I will be lonely for the rest of my like :( But I just try not to worry about it because, like twilight813 said, there's someone out there for everyone. My Jacob Black will pop up sooner or later.

Cym - True very true. I can't say that I love myself unconditionally yet but I'm getting there. Especially over the past couple months I've noticed my confidence has grown a bit since I started getting healthy in general and exercising regularly. It's great to walk around and not worry about what people think. And its true when they say that how you carry yourself is how other people will see you. It's not all about looks!

You know what's funny and what completely made my holiday? While I was shopping with my mom, we passed about 2 fairly cute guys and both times she says "OH look, there's your Jacob Black!" What the flux? I love how my mom is hip to the Twilight world. Now if only I can get her to start pointing out Bill Compton's....

Ianua - I wish American education was free... but it's sooooo far from it. I should have went to a public university. This private university is just burying burying me in debt ($40,000 a year and growing). All I have to say is that I hope to get an excellent job when I'm out of school. I don't think I'll be able to even take year off to travel like I've always wanted to do.

Wingtear - I hope you feel better. Judo! I haven't practiced that particular style of martial arts but I have practiced many others. I practiced martial arts in general for 9 years before stopping 4-5 years ago. It was a lot of fun and I miss it although I was kinda forced into it by my dad. I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have just for that reason! You know kids... we don't want to do things we are forced to do...

Random - I saw Seven Pounds this weekend.... mmhmm... can a movie get any more sad? I was dying for it to end so I could stop being on the verge of tears. And then the ending, that just did it for me.
Last edited by sarina1113 on Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J<3N
Q: Who's your favorite vampire? Edward Cullen or Bill Compton?
A: Well, Bill has quite the...uh... I'll just say Bill is my favorite for undisclosed reasons...