Gen Y---the twenty somethings thread

la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Re: Gen Y---the twenty somethings thread

Post by la_tua_cantante »

My friend and I were talking about this earlier today! I was complaining that it seemed like the Disney Channel was taking over the VMAs this year, what with Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers and the cast of high school musical, and she said, "You know what it is? We're experiencing the generational change. Scary, huh?"

I was like, wow, never before have I felt old, and you have succeeded in making me feel ancient.

*dislaimer: I am not trying to insult Miley or the Jonas Brothers... just making a statement. :D *
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
Court
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Court »

la_tua_cantante wrote:My friend and I were talking about this earlier today! I was complaining that it seemed like the Disney Channel was taking over the VMAs this year, what with Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers and the cast of high school musical, and she said, "You know what it is? We're experiencing the generational change. Scary, huh?"

I was like, wow, never before have I felt old, and you have succeeded in making me feel ancient.

*dislaimer: I am not trying to insult Miley or the Jonas Brothers... just making a statement. :D *
yea tell me about it. i'm 20 and i feel old. lol. geez how are we going to feel when we're 40!! haha
lune1204
Settled in Forks

Post by lune1204 »

i thought that no one reads twilight at this age. it's a relief to find other people reading twilight. I cant wait for the showing of the movie! :D
dimber
Fishing with Charlie

Post by dimber »

I thought so, too...but luckily enough there lots of adult readers in this forum!
I'm a great fan of fantasy and sci-fi literature and I don't mind if most of the books aout there are written for young adults...it makes me feel younger, which is good :P

Besides, I think that itìs a stupid thing to categorize books like that...take Pullman's This Dark Materials: it was targeted as children or YA fiction but when you read the books you realise that there is so much more than meet the eyes beyond the fantasy plot.
...we are such stuff that dreams are made on...

Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

lune1204 wrote:i thought that no one reads twilight at this age. it's a relief to find other people reading twilight. I cant wait for the showing of the movie! :D
We're kind of like secret societies, or big foot. You're not sure whether they exist, but you've heard about them! We may not be grouped under the traditional YA audience, but the love for Twilight is universal.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
Court
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Court »

Elizabeth wrote:We're kind of like secret societies, or big foot. You're not sure whether they exist, but you've heard about them
they'll make an A&E documentary on us any day now :lol:
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

Or maybe they'll make a commercial similar to Geico's, where the man follows the gecko around in his 'natural' habitat! "Observe as the specimen slowly sips on her/his mochachino while immersed in Eclipse. Astonishing! It is as though the world around her/him ceases to exist!"
Team Edward:
Because...
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

argh, I don't even want to think ahead! I'm already having what I call an early 'quarter life crisis'. I thought the term up, it's evolves around a theory. You grow up being told that once you go off to school, graduate, and find a job, that you'll be alright. Makes sense right? To some degree it does. But, what happens if you go on to finish college and get yourself this 'job' and the job isn't what you had in mind? Now granted, you've been told your degree will take you far in life and in your career, so you're a bit confused. Hence, the quarter life crisis, my current conundrum.
Oh I know exactly how you feel! Well, almost...I am going to graduate in a semester, and I should be applying for law schools...well, I should have been doing it last year, but I am a slacker, and I have had my plan laid out for so long, I can't even remember when I decided I wanted to be a lawyer. Now, that it is so close, I am thinking, I don't really want to do that now...but my degree will be in political science, which is totally useless. So here I am...should I just tough it out and maybe being a lawyer would be better then I expect (I work in an law office right now, and I think that is what is inspiring my change of heart!) Or should I go another route, while I'm still young. But what should that route be? Gah...
"You know what it is? We're experiencing the generational change. Scary, huh?"
:( I feel so old, I used to be the young hip generation that watched MTV, but now I can hardly stand it!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~awesomejen
Cool graphic stuff from MRK! Thanks!
Court
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by Court »

Elizabeth wrote:Or maybe they'll make a commercial similar to Geico's, where the man follows the gecko around in his 'natural' habitat! "Observe as the specimen slowly sips on her/his mochachino while immersed in Eclipse. Astonishing! It is as though the world around her/him ceases to exist!"
lol a geico commercial was playing when i read that. too funny!
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

awesomejen1 wrote:
"You know what it is? We're experiencing the generational change. Scary, huh?"
:( I feel so old, I used to be the young hip generation that watched MTV, but now I can hardly stand it!
We're going through the 'change'!
Whatever happened to "I want my mtv" now I'm more like, I hate mtv! What happened to MTV? I can't stand it now.

awesomejen: I'm sorry you're having a change of heart. You're not alone, I think as a lot of us get closer to settling in career choices we've realized school is just a tool, it's not a solution. For me, it was a step in an area of interest. Unfortunately there aren't any instruction manuals to tell us that if you want to do this, then study this. I wish I had been given a better sense of direction, ya know?
Team Edward:
Because...