Gen Y---the twenty somethings thread

Isobelle
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Gen Y---the twenty somethings thread

Post by Isobelle »

mandustries wrote:
On a different subject, how did you all find the series? I was drawn to it after seeing the first teaser trailer in the theaters. I then picked up Twilight and it was sitting on my shelf for a while ... I think subconsciously I knew I'd immediately get sucked into the world and I needed to wait until I had the time/was ready. Needless to say, I read the entire first three books in three nights and have been totally gone ever since. :)
I picked up the book because of the cover (hilarious I know). I actually didnt get enough info from the back to make me want to read it, but I figured how bad could it be if it was a NY times bestseller. My Twilight is now so tattered from my multiple readings that I am considering buying a hardback just so it will last me a long time. :) I love the book so much, that I deal it out to all of my friends. I am that girl that talks about it all the time, and everyone else rolls their eyes until they read it. Then they understand my obsession.
kl1028
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by kl1028 »

i picked it before it was on the new york times best seller list...i picked it up cuz of the cover...and then i turned it over and saw it was about vampires so i was like i need this! and its all one big obsession from there :)
mandustries
Learning to Love Green

Post by mandustries »

Isobelle wrote:I picked up the book because of the cover (hilarious I know). I actually didnt get enough info from the back to make me want to read it, but I figured how bad could it be if it was a NY times bestseller. My Twilight is now so tattered from my multiple readings that I am considering buying a hardback just so it will last me a long time. :) I love the book so much, that I deal it out to all of my friends. I am that girl that talks about it all the time, and everyone else rolls their eyes until they read it. Then they understand my obsession.
I'm that girl too. I mention it at least once a day, for a myriad of reasons. For example, a group of co-workers and I went out to lunch the other day ... at a restaurant called Jasper's. I asked, out loud, where the civil war memorabilia was and laughed, no one else got it. I thought it was funny. 8-)
Banner made by me! Avatar by LJ user lookingtoescape.
I'll never hear thunder the same way again.
Read *Jasper Lurks*--The writings of two Twilighters.
kl1028

Post by kl1028 »

if i was there i would have laughed
steph
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by steph »

kl1028 wrote:if i was there i would have laughed
x2

I actually read the last book first b/c a girl at the credit union told me it was a really good book but kind of odd and it intrigued me, after i read the last one in like 3 days i was officially hooked and went the next day to barnes and noble and got the other 3 and then read them in like 3 days, lol im so obsessed, i bought at shirt at hot topic yesterday with the cast on it but i still need to get a team edward one for the premiere. What i thought was pretty cool is they put me on a list and they will call me whenever they get new stuff in.

Question:

Does anyone ever compare their significant others to edward, jacob, etc?
la_tua_cantante
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

mandustries wrote: I'm that girl too. I mention it at least once a day, for a myriad of reasons. For example, a group of co-workers and I went out to lunch the other day ... at a restaurant called Jasper's. I asked, out loud, where the civil war memorabilia was and laughed, no one else got it. I thought it was funny. 8-)
OK, I seriously just saw that restaurant the other day (I was at the Domain... I'm assuming you ate at the same one since we're both in Austin) and I totally wanted to go in and eat there, just because of the name.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
BellaMorte
Settled in Forks

Post by BellaMorte »

Hey guys, figured I should swing by and make myself known as a fellow Gen Yer. (beams and waves a little) I'm Jacqui, I'm 25 and I spend an inordinate amount of time reading things to do with Twilight. :-)

...I figure that should about cover it!
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

Hey Jacqui! Welcome to the thread!
steph wrote:
Question:

Does anyone ever compare their significant others to edward, jacob, etc?
Steph, I'm not dating anyone now, I tend to be perpetually single! I'm living vicariously through fictional characters! What I do know is, that after reading Twilight, I found that Edward Cullen has set the bar for future dates and boyfriends... well, guys period! I was out with a friend one night and a cute guy seemed to be interested in me, but I'm always wary of guys I just meet. So my friend turns to me and says "He's cute!" I turn to Jessica and say, "Well, he's no Edward Cullen!" Jessica is my Twilight bud I met at the BD release party so she knows! Jessica says "Well yeah." How can a guy compete with HIM?! I just fell in love with the idea of an Edward. Someday my romantic, chivalrous, gentleman will come along.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
BellaMorte
Settled in Forks

Post by BellaMorte »

Elizabeth,

I'm right there with you on the perpetually single front! I think it's exacerbated for me by the fact that a lot of men I meet at bars, clubs, etc. tend to find my quiet demeanor and then when I do relax and begin to chat, my vocabulary and capacity to string a coherent sentence together a little intimidating. :lol: At least it certainly feels that way from my perspective. Add to that the way that Edward and Jacob are actually engrossed by these very qualities? And I'm often thrown for why they don't have real life doppelgangers, since clearly, we need some out there!
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

BellaMorte,
I've never had any pleasant experiences at bars, clubs or many meetup locales for the same reasons you listed! Most men I meet say they appreciate intelligent, sociable women, but their actions and words never seem to match. At some level, I'm starting to believe some men (not all) feel intimidated, and are too proud to admit that a woman should be respected and treated as an equal. Guys are always saying that they like it when girls talk about sports and cars, but why are they so taken aback when a girl with those interests comes along? I'm now avoiding clubs and bars for the obvious reasons that need not be listed, so what's left?
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back