Gen Y---the twenty somethings thread

CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Re: Gen Y---the twenty somethings thread

Post by CantBreathe »

Elizabeth wrote:Now who decides what years are in a 'generation' anyway? I never seem to find that the years are the same. Some years overlap, but most of the time there's a huge timespan covered with the generation. It sounds silly, how can people 15 years apart grow up watching the same cartoons or wearing the same fashion trends? If gen Y ends at 1994, this generation is out of touch with itself, just my opinion. I was watching the original Power Rangers and Gargoyles in '94 while they were in diapers!
I really don't understand it either, but there must be greater powers out there making these kinds of decisions! I always though of it as your generation included those ages that are not old enough/young enough to be your parent/child. Does this make sense? I know some siblings who have many years between them (maybe not 15 years) but enough time where they didn't quite experience the same trends or watch the same cartoons. But it does seem odd, I think generation is too loose a term... perhaps this thread should have just been titled "the twenty somethings thread" as Generation Y doesn't seem to be limited to just twenty somethings.
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
la_tua_cantante
Jump Starting Bella's Truck
Location: Contemplating giving Edward baking lessons. (Austin, TX)

Post by la_tua_cantante »

So, this question was on another Twilight Message Board I've posted on a few times, and I thought it was interesting, so I figured I'd pose it here and see what you all thought:

If you had been turned into a vampire, what era do you think you would have been turned in? The Cullens range over quite a few.

I think I'd have been turned around the time Edward was... early 1900s.
Read *Jasper Lurks*
*My FanFiction* & My LJ.
Team Edward all the way!
I. MET. ROB. PATTINSON.
steph
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by steph »

as far as her major in college i would have to agree with the prev. posters about it being english lit. b/c she does like to read and she reads alot of the classics.

As far as what era, i would want it to be the twenties..im completely obsessed with anything from the twenties to the seventies, my fav. era's would be either the twenties or the fifties.
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

la_tua_cantante wrote: If you had been turned into a vampire, what era do you think you would have been turned in? The Cullens range over quite a few.
That's tough! I'm thinking about all the good and bad moments in history and how I would've loved to be there to have witnessed things as they happened, but this would also mean I'd be older, perhaps alone all those years. Maybe I'd go back centuries, so I could be centuries old, like Angel/Angelus who saw many great things in history on different continents. I'd like to be turned during the Revolutionary or the Civil War, so I could see the U.S. set out on its own, grow out of its infancy. I would be in the North, assuming I would still be born in the same place, maybe I'd meet up with Garrett? woo hoo! I'd like to be 21, but that would be by today's age standards where people live to be older. 18, was that considered old maid status back then? I couldn't see myself as married with children.
Team Edward:
Because...
pianists are good with their fingers
some of the hottest kisses are closed mouth
once you go vamp you never go back
Nessa645
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Nessa645 »

la_tua_cantante wrote:So, this question was on another Twilight Message Board I've posted on a few times, and I thought it was interesting, so I figured I'd pose it here and see what you all thought:

If you had been turned into a vampire, what era do you think you would have been turned in? The Cullens range over quite a few.

For me it would probably be late 1800's early 1900's.
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

CantBreathe: I completely understand what you're trying to say about the generation thing. If the generation can include parents and child the 'generation' is way too broad!
I always thought the term generation had to do with a set of people going through stages of life and experiences around the same time. For example, the Baby Boomers are currently dealing with retirement- are they, aren't they, can they afford to retire? I would think Gen Y- aka twentysomethings are dealing with life after school, careers, marriage, family. I don't fit into all of these situations, but these are still issues that come up in my personal and social life. For example, I'm single, but I think of marriage and settling down.
Team Edward:
Because...
steph
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by steph »

so i cant seem to find any other post to ask about this on so i will start here and see what i can figure out....are any of you trying to find contacts for the premiere or for halloween? I can find some honey colored ones but not anyones that i think look like their eyes, i can also find black ones but i dont know if i want to be thirsty or not lol
Nessa645
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by Nessa645 »

Try the contacts at the following website that's were i got them from

http://www.vampfangs.com/Contact_Lenses_s/6.htm
Elizabeth
Wrestling With Emmett

Post by Elizabeth »

Steph, did you mean red contact lenses? I'm not trying to be a smart-alic, I think the black ones would be good for the werewolves in Underworld or blue ones for the Vampires in Underworld. The thought of red eyes creeped me out, I'd even take the honey ones before I went red! I'm too afraid of tramatizing a small child to even go through with it.

I needed a prescription for getting regular lenses when I still needed to wear them (I got Lasik, yay!) does anyone know if that's even necessary to have a prescription for colored lenses if you're just going for the aesthetic look? Do colored lenses come in different sizes? Apparently, regular lenses do, and if they're the wrong size, they can really mess with your eyes.
Last edited by Elizabeth on Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team Edward:
Because...
mandustries
Learning to Love Green

Post by mandustries »

la_tua_cantante wrote:So, this question was on another Twilight Message Board I've posted on a few times, and I thought it was interesting, so I figured I'd pose it here and see what you all thought:

This is going to sounds really bizarre, but I'd really want to have lived or be turned in the 1930s-40s, so I could have experienced the presidency of FDR. I've always had a historical crush on the man. I wouldn't want to go too far back, because being Aro/Marcus/Caius ancient doesn't sound appealing, and I don't think I would have been the same person I am today had I had to live though medieval times like Carlisle. I'd keep it somewhat recent, in the grand scheme of things.
Nessa645 wrote:Try the contacts at the following website that's were i got them from

http://www.vampfangs.com/Contact_Lenses_s/6.htm
I got the Amber ones from here ... I'm hoping they look good.

Elizabeth—Most places that sell colored contacts will need a prescription before you can purchase, no matter if you need one or not. It's a safety thing I think. Vampfangs (above), however, doesn't require one ... I purchased a pair of "hazel" through an online pharmacy of sorts and it was a total hassle trying to get my eye doctor to let me order a pair for costume-purposes. I wear glasses, so I have a prescription, but it was hard explaining why I wanted non-prescription colored contacts. They didn't seem to understand the costuming portion of the conversation. This is also the guy who though I was weird for liking to wear glasses all the time, so it might just be that I had a bad experience.
Banner made by me! Avatar by LJ user lookingtoescape.
I'll never hear thunder the same way again.
Read *Jasper Lurks*--The writings of two Twilighters.