Gen Y---the twenty somethings thread

awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Re: Gen Y---the twenty somethings thread

Post by awesomejen1 »

I'm glad to see there is also some confusion amoung my peers as to where to go in life or what direction to take...sometimes I feel so lost. I have always been determined and thought I knew what I wanted....but now as I get older, it seems like that changes, when really it should be the opposite! When your young, you shouldn't know what you want to do...I also feel like I am backwards because when I was growning up, I wanted to be an attorney. I loved to act, and I knew, even at a young age, that it isn't easy to be a professional actor, so I figured an attorney kind of gets to play a part in the court room and it seemed like a good compromise.
But now, when I am older and should have more sense then I did when I was a kid, it seems like my desire to act is overwhelming my logical side. The difficulty in the acting word hasn't changed, but it doesn't seem to be such an impractical career path now.
Gah! My husband isn't too fond of me wanting to act...not that he isn't supportive, but he doesn't want me to quit working and have such an unstable job...so I kinda feel stuck, I just don't want to look back and think of the shoulda, coulda, woulda's you know.
http://www.fanfiction.net/~awesomejen
Cool graphic stuff from MRK! Thanks!
CantBreathe
Helping Mike to Get a Clue

Post by CantBreathe »

awesomejen1 wrote:I'm glad to see there is also some confusion amoung my peers as to where to go in life or what direction to take...sometimes I feel so lost. I have always been determined and thought I knew what I wanted....but now as I get older, it seems like that changes, when really it should be the opposite! When your young, you shouldn't know what you want to do...I also feel like I am backwards because when I was growning up, I wanted to be an attorney. I loved to act, and I knew, even at a young age, that it isn't easy to be a professional actor, so I figured an attorney kind of gets to play a part in the court room and it seemed like a good compromise.
But now, when I am older and should have more sense then I did when I was a kid, it seems like my desire to act is overwhelming my logical side. The difficulty in the acting word hasn't changed, but it doesn't seem to be such an impractical career path now.
Gah! My husband isn't too fond of me wanting to act...not that he isn't supportive, but he doesn't want me to quit working and have such an unstable job...so I kinda feel stuck, I just don't want to look back and think of the shoulda, coulda, woulda's you know.
I feel the same way! I think that the desire becomes overwhelming because as an adult, you now have the ability to act on those dreams that you have while your actions are more limited as a child. I find myself becoming more antsy each day that passes that I am stuck at my comfortable, yet boring job :D I try to live my life with no regrets, but there are definitely things about my past I would change... and I don't want to live my whole life feeling that way. So I'm at the point in my life where I've decided to pursue some of my dreams (or at least experiment with some different paths). I feel like if I'm doubting my life, all those "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" are just going to become more overshadowing with time, so why not try to erase those while I'm still young? So I don't know exactly where I want to be or what I want to be doing, but I know I don't want to be here doing this, and that's enough to motivate myself for change.
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Hey, Y'all! I'm a Gen Y too. I'm 26. I'm towards the end of my masters of Library Sciences and teacher certification. I hope to be working at a school library or maybe even the Young Adult Services at the public library. To tell you the truth, I'm terrified to leave the safety net of school and to jump off the cliff of the real world. But hey, you got to do it sometime, right? :?
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

CantBreathe wrote: I feel like if I'm doubting my life, all those "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" are just going to become more overshadowing with time, so why not try to erase those while I'm still young? So I don't know exactly where I want to be or what I want to be doing, but I know I don't want to be here doing this, and that's enough to motivate myself for change.
That's how I feel too...I mean, that's what being young is for, right? Trying things that might not work out. I figure this is really the only time in life you get the opprtunity because you don't have all the responsibilites of a family and what not. Even though I feel the same way, I don't think I am brave enough to take the plunge...
CantBreathe

Post by CantBreathe »

awesomejen1 wrote:That's how I feel too...I mean, that's what being young is for, right? Trying things that might not work out. I figure this is really the only time in life you get the opprtunity because you don't have all the responsibilites of a family and what not. Even though I feel the same way, I don't think I am brave enough to take the plunge...
For me, I feel it's now or never (well, maybe not never, but now seems a good time... it probably helps that I'm just a year + out of school and recently single ;) ) I think it also helps that I'm extremely close with my parents and I know if I fail too miserably, I can always run home to them :lol: Overall, I think you will know when the time is right for you, if it is. You can't ever be 100% sure of the future, but you have to be 100% ready to take that risk. It's never too late if your heart is in it, so don't feel pressured to "take the plunge" if you're not ready for it- chances are, you have plenty of time to figure your life out.
~Sisterhood of the Traveling Book~ I left my heart on the Gen Y thread... my Lexily!
sgrlstar1
Settled in Forks

Post by sgrlstar1 »

I am glad to see that other 20 somethings are fans of the books, I am 28 and currently going to school and work part-time and I fell for these books, and I havent read like this since highschool so I am excited when the movie comes out also.
Tamalyn
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Tamalyn »

awesomejen1 wrote:
CantBreathe wrote: I feel like if I'm doubting my life, all those "shoulda, coulda, woulda's" are just going to become more overshadowing with time, so why not try to erase those while I'm still young? So I don't know exactly where I want to be or what I want to be doing, but I know I don't want to be here doing this, and that's enough to motivate myself for change.
That's how I feel too...I mean, that's what being young is for, right? Trying things that might not work out. I figure this is really the only time in life you get the opprtunity because you don't have all the responsibilites of a family and what not. Even though I feel the same way, I don't think I am brave enough to take the plunge...
I've been having the same kind of dilemma as you guys have been having for the past 6 months. I've changed majors in my head - literally - about 8 times. I read a quote the other day that really helped me, but I can't find it! I'll just paraphrase it for you:

"Do not become what you think the world needs. Do something you feel passionately about, because what the world needs is more people who are passionate about what they do."

It really helped me. I have always wanted to make a cosmic difference in the world (who doesn't?), but I've realized that I don't have to be something cosmically huge to do so.

[end of my philosophical musings]
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

Tamalyn wrote: I've been having the same kind of dilemma as you guys have been having for the past 6 months. I've changed majors in my head - literally - about 8 times. I read a quote the other day that really helped me, but I can't find it! I'll just paraphrase it for you:

"Do not become what you think the world needs. Do something you feel passionately about, because what the world needs is more people who are passionate about what they do."

It really helped me. I have always wanted to make a cosmic difference in the world (who doesn't?), but I've realized that I don't have to be something cosmically huge to do so.

That's always good to think about...another quote that has really been inspiring me is from Randy Pausch's lasst lecture, one line has just stuck in my head, and I really want to take it to heart, though sometimes it's easier said then done.:
"Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop the other people."

I had never really thought of obsticles like that until I heard his lecture, and since then, it just makes sense. If anyone one here hasn't read or watched Pausch's last lecture, you should, it is really inspirational. Here is a lonk to the transcript. http://www.scribd.co ... ranscript
CantBreathe

Post by CantBreathe »

awesomejen1 wrote:
Tamalyn wrote: I've been having the same kind of dilemma as you guys have been having for the past 6 months. I've changed majors in my head - literally - about 8 times. I read a quote the other day that really helped me, but I can't find it! I'll just paraphrase it for you:

That's always good to think about...another quote that has really been inspiring me is from Randy Pausch's lasst lecture, one line has just stuck in my head, and I really want to take it to heart, though sometimes it's easier said then done.:
"Brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop the other people."

I had never really thought of obsticles like that until I heard his lecture, and since then, it just makes sense. If anyone one here hasn't read or watched Pausch's last lecture, you should, it is really inspirational. Here is a lonk to the transcript. http://www.scribd.co ... ranscript
I have heard so much about this, but haven't gained the courage to watch/read it yet (I'm a bit of a crybaby). I think the time is near though as I am always craving good inspiration. And Tamalyn, I've always felt the need to make a difference too, but I know I will never be a Mother Theresa or Angelina Jolie ;) , so I try to do what I can on a smaller level. I'd like to think even the little things make a difference in someone's life and may even affect the big picture. I also realize how important it is to do something you love and are passionate about. As a struggling post-college student, I've been kicking myself for not going to school for something that would guarantee me a steady, well paying job, but in the long run, I'd much rather do something that makes me happy than be rich and doing something I hate.
awesomejen1
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by awesomejen1 »

[quote="CantBreathe
I have heard so much about this, but haven't gained the courage to watch/read it yet (I'm a bit of a crybaby). I think the time is near though as I am always craving good inspiration. And Tamalyn, I've always felt the need to make a difference too, but I know I will never be a Mother Theresa or Angelina Jolie ;) , so I try to do what I can on a smaller level. I'd like to think even the little things make a difference in someone's life and may even affect the big picture. I also realize how important it is to do something you love and are passionate about. As a struggling post-college student, I've been kicking myself for not going to school for something that would guarantee me a steady, well paying job, but in the long run, I'd much rather do something that makes me happy than be rich and doing something I hate.[/quote]

I'm a cry baby too, and it's amazing that someone who is facing death can still be so upbeat and positive...I can't imagine what it was like to actually be there!

So another topic...what new fall show are you most excited for? I am personally stoked to watch The Office tonight...I have been dying to find out what will happen! I am also excited for Desperate Housewives & Brothers & Sisters...

Or f TV aint you thing, what books are one your reading list...I'm always looking for new stuff. I am going to be reading Interview with the Vampire...but I think I will put away the fantasy/sci-fi after that one...maybe finish up the Audacity of Hope