Gex X--the 30 something thread

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Welcome Skylarblue! You mentioned skating. That was one of my favorite things to do! Man, I could skate! I haven't worn a pair of skates since 1987.

ETA: When I picture Shaun Cassidy in my mind, he is smiling that charming smile, his hair is feathered, and he's wearing that famous satin jacket. "The Doo Run Run" was the bomb!!

Since everyone seems to only remember the 80's, what was your favorite ___________ in the 80's? You fill in the blank.

My favorite clothing trend that didn't stick around: knickers (knee pants). They fastened right below the knee. We girls wore them with big fuffly shirts. Bows and ruffes were popular. This was 1981.

My favorite band: Duran Duran (duh)
My favorite movie: Willow (80's?)
My favorite vehicle: Chevy Silverado
Last edited by Goodnight Elizabeth on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac »

Welcome Skylarblue. It is great to have another 30 something around.

Speaking of movies we saw that we had to half cover our eyes...My brother and sister took me to see the Blue Lagoon with Brooke Shields and Christopher Atkins when I was 8. We lived in Belgium at the time and the rating system was different. I have to say I really didn't get much of it at the time.

Another Christopher Atkins movie that I liked was with Kristy McNicol called The Pirate Movie.
I loved Shawn Cassidy in The Hardy Boys, but I only saw a couple. I thought he was so cute and I loved his feathered hair.
by Laniyeah on photobucket
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

bac wrote:Another Christopher Atkins movie that I liked was with Kristy McNicol called The Pirate Movie.
I loved Shawn Cassidy in The Hardy Boys, but I only saw a couple. I thought he was so cute and I loved his feathered hair.
OMG I LOVE LOVE LOVED that movie. I used to watch it all the time. I was a huge fan of Pirates of the Penzance prior to seeing the Pirate Movie, so I loved it all the more. *sigh* Christopher Atkins was so cute in such an innocent, harmless, boy-next-door kind of way.

thanks bac! I had totally forgotten about that.
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I never saw Pirates until this year with my hubby, he saw it as one of the free OnDemand movies. I'm sure it was much better when watched in the 80's. Reminds me of Ice Pirates - very stupid but very funny spoof movie but as I got older, the humor is truly geared for adults. :oops:

Here is my list of favorite _______ in the 80's.
Movie: Sixteen Candles
Band: Duran Duran
Singer: Cyndi Lauper
Fashion: Swatch watch, wearing dual color socks, keds, stirrup pants and baggy/long shirts
Car: Convertible Mustangs
TV Show: Muppets (even though I think they were reruns)
Cartoon: My Little Pony
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

How could I have forgotten the dual colored socks...especially when paired with hi-top Reeboks (I wore Stadias) and tight-rolled jeans!! I know it was technically late 80's, but I loved my LA Gears!! I had pink and light green ones and a pair os black & red "Flames." I was the poop!!
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

I remember rolling up my jeans! Oh, how dumb I think of it now, but I couldn't leave the house without them rolled! Do you remember hair-spraying (with gel and glue) your bangs so they stuck straight up? I never go to do that (mother didn't approve) but how I yearned to....
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

I think my other post with my list of favorites were more 80's than anything, but oh well. I'll post something again. (I guess the list was more eclectic than oriented just around the 80's.)

Here is my list of favorite _______ in the 80's.
Movie: Jewel of the Nile or the Indiana Jones trilogy (I didn't want to say Star Wars again)
Fashion: jelly shoes
TV Show: Remington Steele
Cartoon: Inspector Gadget
Pet: My cat, Gussie
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

I had the huge bangs, Una. The tools necessary for bangs that defied gravity were: a hair pick, a can of Rave or Aquanet (or both), and a hair dryer. Dry hair. Lift bangs with pick and spray hair. Hold hair up with pick, and blast with hair dryer. This same method also worked for creating *wings* on the side of the head. I also would pull the sides of my hair back and let it air dry that way, and my wings were even better.

I never did the jelly shoes. My little sister did and her toes and sides of her feet would get icky. Those shoes also made her feet smell awful.
Last edited by Goodnight Elizabeth on Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una

Post by una »

I had a pair of jellies. I love them to death which unfortunately was only a few weeks. Not only did they make your feet smell but they invariably make your feet sweat buckets, causing your feet to slide around which would pull the jellies so badly that they would break quickly. At least that is what happened to me. I do get a bit sentimental thinking about those pink jellies.... :(
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

Jelly shoes definitely did make your feet smell bad and made them all icky. But, as a youngster, I didn't care. I loved them. They're starting to come back in style. I may get a pair for sentimental value. ;)
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::