Gex X--the 30 something thread

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I'm sure I wore bell bottoms, but I can only remember one distinct pair. It was 1978, I was 8 yo and in the 3rd grade. My cousin, Neil, and I were just a few days apart and in the same grade. We were never in the same class because people thought we were twins and the rule was to divide twins. Anyhoodle, he was slightly bigger than me. Usually when he outgrew his clothes, our younger cousin would get them. However, Neil had this awesome pair of Wrangler bell bottoms. They were so neat (neat!). I asked for them as soon as he was beginning to outgrow them. Finally they were mine. They were already *soft* by the time I wore them..which was even better. They fit me like a glove and were so comfortable. They were just plain blue jeans when I got them, but mama decorated them for me. She put flowers and beads on the bells. They may have been ordinary boy jeans when I got them, but they were definitely girlie jeans in no time.

Here's a picture of me & Neil (with my cousin Jesalyn in the middle). The year may have been 1972. Notice how I was bigger than Neil. LOL
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/ ... dDonna.jpg

Here's my cousin, DG (the oldest), my little sister, Marla..and then me & Neil. I think it was 1975
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/ ... nnKids.jpg
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
jenni_elyse
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by jenni_elyse »

I love all the pictures! Because I was born in 1978, I never had a chance to wear bell bottoms, but I still had some interesting outfits as a toddler in the late 70s, early 80s.

Here's a picture of me in 1980. I was two.

Here's a picture of a part of my family in 1983. My four oldest siblings are missing because they were already married or out on their own.

I used to watch She-Ra as well. I never liked He-Man, so I didn't watch that show. I always wanted a She-Ra toy and her horse, but never got one. *sigh*
:: My Blog (Comments Welcome) :: My Shelfari Shelf ::
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Jenni! You were too cute! Your older sister reminds me of myself at that time period. I would've been 13. I had the same hair and glasses. I'm so glad that only PART of the 80's are coming back.

Here's me in spring of 84. I wasn't quite 14 yet. I was a looker. Bwahahahaha :lol: :lol:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j193/ ... arla84.jpg

My sister and I looked like we just left the Prairie. Which was funny at the time because we lived in a small community outside of town. It was the *country* and everyone called it *The Prairie*. "GNE..where do you live?" "Um, I live in the Prairie."
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
vegasn8ive
Learning to Love Green

Post by vegasn8ive »

Yeah, I'm kind of wondering why all the 80s stuff is coming back. I walk through the mall and all I can think is, "Gee, didn't we learn the first time?" :lol: Remember the terrycloth jumpers that tied on top of the shoulders? And the sports socks with the colored bands just below the knee? And the fact that it was stylish for boys to wear Jordache?!? :shock: :lol: And feathered hair. *chokes*

As for the bell-bottoms. I had them. Lots of them. Quite frankly, that's all you could find back then. My most hiddeous pair was a brown corduroy pair. *shudders* :o

But, before that when I was smaller it was the dresses that stopped just below your bum with the knee socks and the mary janes. That's all I wore to school when I was little. Plus, lots of Holly Hobby and those really funky Little House On The Prairie looking ensembles. :lol: What were they thinking?!? I say "they" because I had no control over what my mother bought or what she had to choose from. :P
lilac-and-lavender
Wandering Through Town

Post by lilac-and-lavender »

GNE, I had those same glasses in Jr. high so that was what about 12 yrs old?

I loved He-man and She-ra, but I though Teela was kinda dumb that she could never figure out that the prince was really He-man. My younger brother and I collected the action figures and played with them. He had more than me though cuz he was spoiled :evil:

And hey Misfit, I loved GI Joe too, do you remember the bad guy twins, if a good guy hit one twin the other one would feel it!

Big shout out for Shmoo, I loved that show, no one else ever know what I am talking about, I knew I wasn't crazy. (well, about remembering that anyway)

I read all through school, I don't remember when I learned, I just always read. Little house on the Prarie, Are you there God, its me Margaret. Tons of Piers Anthony and Anne McCaffrey in Jr. High and Highschool.
Thank you Fry-You da'bomb
eeny meeny miny moe
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

I have always felt like such a dweeb because of my nerdie glasses, but knowing that there were others out there as unfortunate as me makes me feel so much better. I feel...validated. Wow!

Yes, L&L, I always Tella was pretty stupid too. I mean, come on! Prince Adam and HeMan don't look all that different. I hated Orco. He just got on my nerves. I had a teacher named Evelyn and we would (behind her back of course) call her "Ms. Evilyn Scott." To this day I cannot hear Evelyn without thinking Evil-Lynn. I'm not sure how to spell it, but you know who I'm talking about.

Eww..remember the movie with Dolf Lundren? *shooo-weee* That one stank! :lol:
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
lilac-and-lavender
Wandering Through Town

Post by lilac-and-lavender »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:To this day I cannot hear Evelyn without thinking Evil-Lynn. I'm not sure how to spell it, but you know who I'm talking about.

Eww..remember the movie with Dolf Lundren? *shooo-weee* That one stank! :lol:
:lol: I do remember the movie, and it was bad!

I also have no idea how it was spelled, but Evil Lynn I do remember, and it just occured to me there is a woman in my neighborhood named Evilyn and I cant stand her, every time she opens her mouth she irritates me. Now I will remember Evil-lynn and just laugh when I see her :twisted:
Thank you Fry-You da'bomb
eeny meeny miny moe
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

We've been sharing our memories of the 80's for several pages, I think we need to discuss the fantastic 70's.

Let's see: My Favorite ____ in the 70's

Movie: Grease!
Song: Early 70's--Close to You by the Carpenters/ Late 70's--Hotel California by the Eagles
TV Show: Charlie's Angels or Happy Days
Toy: My Sunshine family
Clothes: my bell bottoms and my Holly Hobby turtleneck
Shoes: Flintsone sneakers. I also had a pair of cowboy boots in Kindergarten I loved.
Crush: Shawn in Kindergarten. He flashed us girls his *lollipop* (I dated him when i was 24; he proposed. I rejected); Derek, Bruce, Brad, etc..Boy crazy was I.
Phrase: Dynomite or Sit on it!
Lunchbox: Dyno-mutt!!
Cartoon: Anything Hanna Barbera
Friend: My neighbor, Kim. I haven't seen her since we were 21.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

Who can forget H.R. Pufnstuf?? That show was truly scripted by someone on drugs. I did a little research and discovered Jack Wild was already 16 in that series. He died in 2006 from mouth cancer.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
childofthe80s
Settled in Forks

Post by childofthe80s »

oleander wrote:Hurray for 30-Something Twilight Fans!! I was starting to feel like an old crone.

For me, the most vivid memories i have from the past three and a half decades is the music. Oh, and Corey Haim. I know, I know, but I've always had a thing for vampires and when Lost Boys came out my walls were suddenly plastered with photos of Corey H (even though he was never a sexy vamp like Jason Patric).

My favourite tv show in the 80s was Starman. I don't know if anyone remembers it or not...it was subsequently cancelled and a huge letter-writing campaign was undertaken to try to save the show. We failed miserably. ;)

Back to the music...I loved Duran Duran, Prince, The Cure, The Smiths, The Violent Femmes, Michael Jackson, Dirty Dancing Soundtrack, Pretty in Pink Soundtrack...I still get a little misty when i hear the song "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and sometimes i get jacked up when I hear "Love is a Battlefield." Music has always been my saviour, even though i wasn't really allowed to listen to it when I was younger. It didn't stop me though--people would make bootleg cassette tapes for me. Remember cassettes??? :lol:
I could have written this post! I had the coreys plastered on a corner of my room....that is until i discovered the New Kids on the Block. They took up every free centimeter of free wall space in my bedroom. I really wish I had a picture.
I loved Starman! I had forgotten about that show.
I love the 80s- the music, the movies.....not so much on the hairstyles though

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote:Do you guys remember Dance Party USA? I watched that everyday after school. It was awesome!
OMG I loved this show! I went looking for clips from that show a while back and couldnt find anything!
Last edited by childofthe80s on Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.