Gex X--the 30 something thread

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

What's sadder than all of that...?? The fact that the 80's are back! It's downright frightening. Even the music is similar. When I first heard Metro Station's "Shake It" I thought it was a lost song from 1985. I have to admit that I loved the 80's. I truly did. There were so many great movies and songs from that decade. :lol:
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

That is what I loved, the movies, the music, the shows. I did not like the 80's for fashion! *shudders* I don't mind having a bit of flashback (flashdance??) but can't some of those horrible clothing trends stay buried at the Museum of History? I think party of my issue is that I have never really felt like I had a great figure and to me the 80' s were the epitomy of how bad can we make someone look...let's emphasize their worst feature. Goodness, they should have been sentence to daily shock treatments! :shock: :twisted: :shock: :twisted:
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

una wrote:Gladly, I loved the 'Coreys' when I was growing up. Corey Haim and Corey Feldmen....*inner monologue*. They were fabulous when I was younger. They are on some (I think) MTv show currently and boy you can see what hard living does to you. Especially Corey Haim, so not very attractive now. I was really sad to see. Think of all the Corey sandwiches that could have been! :twisted: There are pictures of them where they look good, but others where the planes of their faces are so hard now...they used to have such gentle lines and soft looking skin...

Here is a promo picture and they look okay in it, but when I saw clips from the show... :shock: there was some photo-shop editing done here!!!!

Here is a series of pictures of them...you'll see what I mean...compare the obvious studio shots with the red carpet ones...
http://www.coreyhaim.net/coreyphotos.html
I think that Corey Haim should be a poster child for the D.A.R.E. program. Instead of the "this is your brain on drugs" ad with the frying pan, they should just show Corey Haim's early work and then show him currently. What a sad, sad story.

It was great going through all those old photos of him. I had a lot of them on my wall when i was growing up. I had forgotten about him being on The Edison Twins, and Roomies was the most underrated show (next to Starman) of the 80s.

For me, his best work was in Lucas and Lost Boys. I LOVED Lucas. It made me cry.
lilac-and-lavender
Wandering Through Town

Post by lilac-and-lavender »

I think that Corey Haim should be a poster child for the D.A.R.E. program. Instead of the "this is your brain on drugs" ad with the frying pan, they should just show Corey Haim's early work and then show him currently. What a sad, sad story.

It was great going through all those old photos of him. I had a lot of them on my wall when i was growing up. I had forgotten about him being on The Edison Twins, and Roomies was the most underrated show (next to Starman) of the 80s.

For me, his best work was in Lucas and Lost Boys. I LOVED Lucas. It made me cry.
I loved, loved the Lost Boys. I heard they are making a new one.

I always wanted jelly shoes, but never had any :cry:
I still love 80's music. I like "Shake it" By Metro Station, I think Miley Cyrus's older brother is in that band. Speaking of Billy Ray is waaaay better looking now than he was when "Achy Breaky Heart" came out.

Bon Jovi was hot back in the day, and he just keeps getting better :twisted:

Have you all heard the song 1985 by Bowling for soup? Its totally radical dude :) also I really like it.
Thank you Fry-You da'bomb
eeny meeny miny moe
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

[quote="lilac-and-lavenderI loved, loved the Lost Boys. I heard they are making a new one.[/quote]

They did make a new one...straight to dvd. I have it, but haven't managed to watch it all...i keep falling asleep. :lol:

As for jelly shoes, i never owned a pair. Velcro sneakers? I had plenty! Adidas gazelles? Tons! Wooden clogs/sandals? yup yup! Chuck Taylors? Oh yeah! I still wear Chucks.

I'm okay with 80s calibre movies and music coming back, but not the fashions. *shudders* no more neon, please, dear god, no more neon!
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

The Lost Boys was my all time favorite movie, I had the soundtrack that I played on my walkmen until the tape died. :( Corey Haim was GREAT in it! I agree, he would make a great poster boy for DARE.

I never heard about the Lost Boys movie, I must check that out. I hope it is good.

Another fashion trend that I absolutely hated were the shoulder pad trend. My mother insisted I put them in my clothes (and yelled when she'd catch me trying to remove them). I have very broad shoulders already, I was a butterfliest (swimming), I do not need to 'buff-up' my shoulders. I always felt like I was trying out for the football team.

ETA: Yay, I'm back to Teaching Eric Social Graces. I'm slowing catching you GNE!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
lilac-and-lavender
Wandering Through Town

I'm okay with 80s calibre movies and music coming back, but not the fashions. *shudders* no more neon, please, dear god, no more neon!
:lol: Friends don't let friends wear neon.

And I gotta say, that goes for shoulder pads too.
eeny meeny miny moe
Misfit
I'm A Proud Twilight Guy

Post by Misfit »

My wife and I were at a store the other day called H&M and she was trying on some skirts. She comes out in the this blue jeans skirt with ruffles and SLAM. Suddenly the music came up and it was

Fame
I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly
High

I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry
Fame

It was funny all she needed was leg warmers and tights.

Misfit.
*Reading is Sexy*
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

Misfit wrote:My wife and I were at a store the other day called H&M and she was trying on some skirts. She comes out in the this blue jeans skirt with ruffles and SLAM. Suddenly the music came up and it was

Fame
I'm gonna live forever
I'm gonna learn how to fly
High

I feel it coming together
People will see me and cry
Fame

It was funny all she needed was leg warmers and tights.

Misfit.
That's AWESOME!! Oh, and kind of crappy, now i can't get the theme from Fame out of my head.

Hey, I'd like to add that to my list of favourite 80s shows. I LIVED for Fame. My friend had all the records and we used to dance around and put on shows and pretend to be Coco and Doris and her little brother would be Leroy (even though he had two very left and somewhat backward feet).

Sigh, I had the biggest crush on Leroy. I was so sad when I read that he had died.

As for shoulder pads, my mom gave me a bag of hand-me-down clothes from a lady at her church and every last article of clothing had shoulder pads. EVERY ONE! I kid you not! These dresses were hideous as it was, but the shoulder pads just cemented it. These were straight out of the Sears catalogue circa 1983.
lilac-and-lavender
Wandering Through Town

I loved fame the TV show, never saw the movie though. One thing about all this remenising, my netflix que is up to 71 movies.
eeny meeny miny moe