Gex X--the 30 something thread

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Re: Gex X--the 30 something thread

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:59 am

Music has always played a huge role in my life, and I was so lucky to be a teen in the 80's. Everyone knows I was a Duranie, but I also loved Culture Club (I still have the Colour by Numbers album), New Edition (I still have a couple of 45's), Rick Springfield, Jon Waite, John Cougar (Mellencamp), Laura Branigan, Chicago, Journey, Foreigner, Boston, Dokken, Scorpians, Toto, Spandau Ballet, Human League, The Kinks, The Talking Heads ("She's one in a million girls"), Don Henley, Go-Go's, Bangles, Cyndi Lauper, and Madonna.

I also equate songs with certain years: 1985: I played repeatedly Arcadia's entire album(Arcadia was Simon LeBon, Nick Rhode, and Roger Taylor from Duran Duran). Other favorite songs: Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy," Luther Vandross' "Here and Now," and Freddy Jackson's "You are my Lady."

George Hamilton's "I've Got my Mind Set on You" reminds me of senior year as does Eddie Money's "I Wanna Go Back." For some reason I think of Europe's "Carrie" and "Final Countdown." I wanted to be named "Carrie" so badly. My favorite song my senior year (and it never played on the radio) was Triumph's "Just One More Night." I heard it on a jukebox, and I fell in love with it. I was shooting pool with an unrequited love. :oops: The song said exactly how I felt...for a naive barely 17 yo anyway.

Another big movie/soundtrack my last 2 years of high school was Dirty Dancing.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!

una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:09 pm

Sadly I never had roller skates, but I rode my bicycle all over the neighborhood (by myself). Sad today that most kids do not have that freedom anymore. When I was in Elementary school, my best friend and I took ice skating lessons one summer - we thought we'd skate in the Olympics! :lol: Did I mention we live in the valley - we are like the desert! Yeah...the ice rink existed indoors only - my town has gotten snow (inches) once every fifty years!

It's crazy, I sit here and think of the different music that I can still feel in my bones, but I can't remember names or anything. Then I read the posts and think, oh, yeah, that's the name of the band! It's funny.

One of my favorite movies for soundtrack and plot was Real Genius. Partly, because I saw my brothers being able to fit in perfectly with those guys and because it's was okay to be smart!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!

JQluvsEC
Settled in Forks

Post by JQluvsEC » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:00 pm

oh wow...i LOVED Real Genius...

i'm 32...and the 80's to me, were defined by Mtv...

Pat Benatar "Love is a Battlefield"
Cyndi Lauper, Michael Jackson, etc....

we didnt have cable while i was younger...so i used to beg to sleep over my aunt's house b/c she did...and i would walk right in and change it to Mtv...LOL....

and here they thought that i just LOVED spending time with my aunt...hahahahah....mean, yes....funny, YES...lol

una
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:13 am

I loved that video for Pat Benitar. I wanted to have the roughed-up clothes. Started to do that with some of my clothes, my mother yelled at me for trying to ruin them. I was forced to throw them out. :( Parents just don't understand!

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:51 am

I loved Pat Benatar! "Hell is for Children" is another of her songs that I loved. "We will be invincible" annoys me because it reminds me of Billy Jean. One of the worst movies of the 80's. Ooohh sounds like a new list...
Squee! Thank you, Nena!

bac
Mesmerized by her own Dr. Cullen

Post by bac » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:42 pm

Oh Mickey your so fine, your so fine you blow my mind, hey Mickey, hey, hey, hey Mickey....

I want candy, I want candy.....

Don't try to live your life in one day...

Highway to the danger zone, gonna take you right into the danger zone....

PYT, Pretty young thing...

Nasty boys, don't mean a thing, oh you nasty boys, don't mean a thing to me...

I am having way to much fun. Anyway.
by Laniyeah on photobucket

lilac-and-lavender
Wandering Through Town

Post by lilac-and-lavender » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:59 pm

[quote="una"]

It's crazy, I sit here and think of the different music that I can still feel in my bones, but I can't remember names or anything. Then I read the posts and think, oh, yeah, that's the name of the band! It's funny. quote]

Most of the music I loved I don't remember until someone else brings it up, then it's "Ohh Yeah!"

I do remember Alphaville- forever young, still one of my favorite songs of all time andit would fit in great for twilight :)
Wham, George Michael, A-ha, U2,Heart,Queen....so many more.
One reason I like 'Moulin Rouge" and "A Knights tale" so much is the great soundtracks.

I did have roller skates, hand-me-downs from my older bro and sis. Same way I got my bike.( yellow rainbow thing with a BIG ole bananna seat). Didn't mind the hand-me-downs, but I grew up living on a hill and learning to bike/skate on a hill was harsh! :shock:

We also didn't have MTV growing-up, I don't think I even had friends that did until jr. high or highschool. Ohh how I suffered :cry:
Thank you Fry-You da'bomb
eeny meeny miny moe

Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:54 pm

lilac-and-lavender wrote:We also didn't have MTV growing-up, I don't think I even had friends that did until jr. high or highschool. Ohh how I suffered :cry:
Poor L&L. Well, you have lots of friends now. ;) I grew up in the country and we didn't have cable...much less Mtv. My hometown didn't get Mtv until I moved away in 97. I'm serious. I moved out when I was 18, and one of the first cable channels I ordered was Mtv. When I was 13-15 I would stay with one of my cousins and we would watch Mtv and wait all night for a Duran Duran video.

Remember Friday Night Videos on NBC? I could get that without cable. I stayed up all night waiting for it, and then I'd watch Saturday morning cartoons. :shock:

In all my teen years TBS or USA had Night Tracks. Night Tracks played videos from 10 pm -7am every Friday and Saturday night. It was awesome! Since we didn't have Mtv, all of us kids watched it. I would stay with my grandma in town on the weekends until my family moved into town when I was 15.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!

una

Post by una » Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:13 am

I wish you all were in the car with me tonight. Driving home from my nephew's fourth birthday, at the point we start getting radio stations from our hometown, was playing all eighties tonight! There was "Mickey, Mickey", "You spin me", "Relax", "Union of the Snake," and many more fabulous songs. I was glad we had an hour to get home. It was GREAT!

JustNicole
Settled in Forks

Post by JustNicole » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:59 am

Hello I am Nicole... this is my second post after being a "Newcomer." I am 32 years old and holding. in fact at the end of this month... the big 33. I can't believe it is bothering me. I will celebrate my 10th Wedding Anniversary this year.
I had a major flashback yesterday went to a football game at my old high school..... not exactly Forks... I graduated with 585 kids.... anyway, watching the game with friends and hubby I noticed the whole high school scene again... within about 5 minutes it was obvious who was dating, who wished they were, who was afraid of their own shadow etc. I instantly wondered if we were that transparent then, and I realized we were. ;)
We watched the game as if we were 16 again, yelling, screaming... standing up with the cheerleaders realizing the chants haven't changed much.... victoriously we stood up to leave after our big win...
I turned around to leave and was face to face again... with the "Seniors." You know the ones, you couldn't make eye contact with, but now you realize that the playing field has changed...
Everyone is equal....
Got in the car searching frantically for a station.... ahhhhhhh then I found it!!! Jessie's Girl! Hubby and I threw down the windows and sang at the top of our lungs!!! Way off key of course.... and for a moment we were 16 again..... oh what is that in the backseat... a car seat! Reality check!
I think the sun is best viewed at midnight!