What are you reading

copper curls
Welcoming Newbies with Cheers and Emmett-hugs

Re: What are you reading

Post by copper curls »

deven ~ thanks for the book ideas. I think my sister owns the series, so I plan to borrow them from her if that proves to be true...

I'll probably get a lot of books for Christmas, so I'll let you know if I get anything good. all my distant relatives will probably end up giving me Chapter's giftcards as well, so I'm going to have to ask for your guy's aadvice on what to look into getting. :D

hope everyone has a good holiday!
LOVE, KAT
xoxo
PM me for this stamp! | Cam is my TwiTwin | EDC/CS & OC | Mafia Mentors | Asst. Manager CCB&B | Team Leah | APPC Platinum Member | Welcome Wagon | MSV
a_n_n_a
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by a_n_n_a »

Since it is the Christmas/holiday season, I've been re-reading "Let It Snow". It's a compilation book by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle.

Then since I'm leaving on Sunday for London, I'll be bringing along just one book for the plane. That's "Paper Towns" by John Green. I plan on coming home w/ at least one of the Harry Potter books, though.
ImageImageImage
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

a_n_n_a wrote:Since it is the Christmas/holiday season, I've been re-reading "Let It Snow". It's a compilation book by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle.

Then since I'm leaving on Sunday for London, I'll be bringing along just one book for the plane. That's "Paper Towns" by John Green. I plan on coming home w/ at least one of the Harry Potter books, though.
Whats that book about? Paper Towns by John Green? I keep seeing it, but I don't know what its about! :D
ImageImage
E<3B
a_n_n_a
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by a_n_n_a »

twilightbelle<3 wrote:
a_n_n_a wrote:Since it is the Christmas/holiday season, I've been re-reading "Let It Snow". It's a compilation book by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle.

Whats that book about? Paper Towns by John Green? I keep seeing it, but I don't know what its about! :D
Paper Towns in a very simplified and not so deep sunmary would be . . . There's a guy named Quentin and this girl he knows from when he was two/kind of his friend Margo goes missing after a night where they do all this amazingly insane stuff around where they live in Florida. After she goes missing he thinks he's supposed to find her because she's disappeared in the past and has left clues. So, Q follows the clues she leaves w/ the help of his two best friends. That's a VERY watered-down version.

In a more deep kind of way, it's about mis-imagining people and having this idea of what someone is.

I would really recommend it, and not just because I love John Green as a person. It's very witty and uses the poetry of Walt Whitman. All of John's books incorporate some kind of intellectual nuances, whether it be poetry, last words, or just plain random facts.

"When Margo Roth Spiegelman beckons Quentin Jacobsen in the middle of the night-dressed like a ninja and plotting an ingenious campaign of revenge-he follows her. Margo's always planned extravagantly, and, until now, she's always planned solo. After a lifetime of loving Margo from afar, things are finally looking up for Q . . . until day breaks and she has vanished. Always an enigma, Margo has now become a mystery. But there are clues. And they're for Q."

^That is the summary from Barnes & Noble. Hopefully the combination of my summary and that one will convince you to read it. John is FANTASTIC!
ImageImageImage
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

anna- I loved Paper Towns! It's definitely on my favorites list of 2008. I laughed and cried. It combines the funny and witty lines from "Katherines" and the serious tone of "Alaska". Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
deven
Finding a Nice Guy for Angela

Post by deven »

Copper Curls i am also hoping for a lot of gift cards to barnes and nobles or boarders. i have been spending WAY too much money on books lately...i just like owning books more then getting them from the library.

but i am running out of ideas for books. i think i will read dead after dark next but idk there are so many...i just need to spend some good quality time at barnes and nobles...lol
.I<3BDB.I<3Oli sykes!+Randomness Regular+Concert Addict
twilightbelle<3
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by twilightbelle<3 »

a_n_n_a wrote:
twilightbelle<3 wrote:

Paper Towns in a very simplified and not so deep sunmary would be . . . There's a guy named Quentin and this girl he knows from when he was two/kind of his friend Margo goes missing after a night where they do all this amazingly insane stuff around where they live in Florida. After she goes missing he thinks he's supposed to find her because she's disappeared in the past and has left clues. So, Q follows the clues she leaves w/ the help of his two best friends. That's a VERY watered-down version.

In a more deep kind of way, it's about mis-imagining people and having this idea of what someone is.

I would really recommend it, and not just because I love John Green as a person. It's very witty and uses the poetry of Walt Whitman. All of John's books incorporate some kind of intellectual nuances, whether it be poetry, last words, or just plain random facts.

"When Margo Roth Spiegelman beckons Quentin Jacobsen in the middle of the night-dressed like a ninja and plotting an ingenious campaign of revenge-he follows her. Margo's always planned extravagantly, and, until now, she's always planned solo. After a lifetime of loving Margo from afar, things are finally looking up for Q . . . until day breaks and she has vanished. Always an enigma, Margo has now become a mystery. But there are clues. And they're for Q."

^That is the summary from Barnes & Noble. Hopefully the combination of my summary and that one will convince you to read it. John is FANTASTIC!
o.O
That sounds hella good!
ImageImage
E<3B
Carrisa
Officially Bitten!
Location: Gushing over my favorite couple while obsessing over various other fandoms

Post by Carrisa »

I finished Frostbite last night. I'm trying to get through Artemis Fowl before I have to take it back (with little success). How was I supposed to know it had a lot of holds? No one seemed interested when I checked it out.
"Got it memorized?"
Visit me on Gaia Online if you would like: http://www.gaiaonline.com/profiles/Mina_May
indigo_wolf
Settled in Forks

Her Apparitions & Other Human Longings

Post by indigo_wolf »

Based on a true story

By, Lisa Furtado
( singer Nelly Furtado's sister)

Lisa Furtado’s Fatima is a young American girl of the 1980’s. She comes ‘of age’ in the disenfranchised era after the “Flower Power” movement, as the daughter of a proud American military leader. Her father’s frequent absences, and strict, intolerant manner, drive Fatima, (and her mother) into different quests that take them from the mainstream of the American idealized family. Wanting to escape from both her parents’ obsessions (and her own inner urgings), Fatima strikes out on-her-own in the wild world, hoping to connect with an older, married man who has preceded her to Asia.

In her back packing travels, Fatima is exposed to adventures that challenge her perceptions and require her to look from a new light at her pre-conceived notions of relationship, independence, self reliance, submission, rebellion and self worth. She is accompanied by a ghost of the atrocities that have been wreaked on Banda’s home country; and finds the contrast of devastation & rebirth, beauty & ravishment, despair & hope, intermingled in the lush greenery of Viet Nam and Cambodia.

Having fallen into traps of seemingly free choice; (sex, power, adoration, slavery, violence, drugs, political intrigue, and collapse), a devastated woman awakens in a hospital in Saigon, Viet Nam. Here she reads Fatima’s diary, and her drug riddled, recuperating mind begins to piece together the truth of who she is, and of the values of life. The devastated woman's drop into the seething abyss of life is the propellant that awakens her to the beauty of forgiveness, genuine love, values, and hope for fresh beginnings.

Review by,
Lynne Baer

For more info on Lisa & her novel
go to her facebook: Lisa Furtado
( she always answers her emails&your questions)
MSN: [email protected]
strawberry
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by strawberry »

right now I´m reading Krabat by Otfried Preußler and then I´m going to read Goethe´s Faust.