Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Kymberli
Hanging Up on Jessica

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Post by Kymberli »

I agree the hooded eyes thing is said way to much. But I don't read these books for the grammer I read it for the smut and the fact that I have an obession with ficitional men :lol:

Lynz love the new banner
una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Post by una »

Kymberli, congrats on the new level! +600! Way to go!

Another term I dislike is limpid eyes. I first found it funny on the BBC show Keeping up Appearances (I like the show because my mother is Hyacinth Bucket - pronounced 'Bouquet'). I thought it was just some thing they did for the show, nope I have run across "limpid eyes" several times now and I just can't take it seriously. For those, like me, that need to look it up, limpid means clear or as copied from Dictionary.com:
  • lim⋅pid
       /ˈlɪmpɪd/ [lim-pid]
    –adjective
    1. clear, transparent, or pellucid, as water, crystal, or air: We could see to the very bottom of the limpid pond.
    2. free from obscurity; lucid; clear: a limpid style; limpid prose.
    3. completely calm; without distress or worry: a limpid, emotionless existence.
There you go! When I hear limpid, clear or calm is NOT the mental image I get. I think limpid eyes are more like weak, hooded (gasp) or having cataracts. I think it is the sound of the word...
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

una, my mom kind of looks like Hyacinth. My bff used to make me watch Keeping Up Appearances all the time and it made me homesick for my mom.

I've heard limpid used before and I always associated it with books with Fabio on the cover and lots of talk of women's heaving ample bosoms.

If we're talking misused words, one of my favourites is VIRTUALLY. According to dictionary.com

virtually

adverb
1. in essence or effect but not in fact; "the strike virtually paralyzed the city"; "I'm virtually broke"
2. (of actions or states) slightly short of or not quite accomplished; all but; "the job is (just) about done"; "the baby was almost asleep when the alarm sounded"; "we're almost finished"; "the car all but ran her down"; "he nearly fainted"; "talked for nigh onto 2 hours"; "the recording is well-nigh perfect"; "virtually all the parties signed the contract"; "I was near exhausted by the run"; "most everyone agrees" [syn: about]

In the ad for Cascade dishwasher soap, the tagline is "Cascade leaves dishes virtually spotless" which translates to "Cascade leaves dishes not quite spotless." I never questioned the validity of the statement until it was brought up in a communications class I was taking. It shocked me how gullible people are, including myself...in the context of the ad, everyone assumed that virtually insinuated that they were spotless.
cullengirl
Cataloging the Cullen Library

Post by cullengirl »

Goodnight Elizabeth wrote: CG: that's in all of our paranormal romance books. Maybe not every single book, but I would need to use some of my comatose brain power to find one that doesn't. I guess it doesn't really bother me.

You're right. I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the dialogue Lynzeee put up.

Lynzeee, I have no clue who Xyper is yet, but Gerard is HAWT.
“Darkness will never take me…because I have you. Light of my life, Marissa. That’s what you are.”-LR
Banner by the awesome, beautiful and incredible Nena!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Hey there...just stopping in to read up on anything I've been missing out on....

I've been sucked into the world that is the Black Dagger Brotherhood...just finished Rhage's book and am now about to start Zsadist's book....from all the banners you all have, I'm excited to read his book because it looks like he's a popular character :) Rhage's book left me with quite a few questions...hmm...so I'm wondering if they'll be answered in future books....

My son's 3rd birthday is on Valentine's Day so my in laws are coming...which means I have to spend this weekend cleaning, so I think Lover Awakened is going to take some time to get through with all the distractions...*sighs* Why can't we live in a world where reading is a number one priority!? :roll:

Thank you Naureen!!
VampLover
Learning to Love Green

Post by VampLover »

Don't worry Fan we've all been sucked in to the brotherhood, but what a wonderfully guttery place to be!!! It took me awhile to get to reading them, but once I did, boy was I hooked!! The wait for Rhev's book is killing me!!

I have always wanted to have a job where I got paid for each book I read. Man I would be a millionaire by now!!! I've probably read around 40 books since the middle of July when I found Twilight. I hadn't read for a while, but once I got started it was hard to quit!! There were so many vampire books that I didn't know existed. It was great!! I am a big Dean Koontz fan, so I mostly read those, but now I have a wonderful collection of vampire romance!!
As long as I was on my way to Hell - I might as well enjoy the journey.
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

Vamplover, I am the same way. I haven't stopped reading since I picked up Twilight. I'm so glad that I found it because i love being swept away by all these wonderful books. (I read Kyrian's book last night, which makes #15 in my 50 Book Challenge!)

Speaking of Rehv, I work for the manager of the Marriage Act in my office and i've been sending out a lot of packages to various members of the clergy for her lately. I had to redo several labels yesterday because I kept spelling Rev with an H! I sat there and laughed so hard! BDB has really put a dhamper on my spehlling! I've been putting silent Hs in everything!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Leelan: Thank you for "virtually." I love this kind of stuff. One of my word-peeves is "anxious"

Twit 1: I heard you are going with Chad to the party.
Twit 2: Yes! I've had the biggest crush on him forever.
Twit 1: I bet you can't wait for Friday night. *squee*
Twit 2: I Know! I'm so anxious!

What's wrong with this?

anx·ious (ngkshs, ngshs)
adj.
1. Uneasy and apprehensive about an uncertain event or matter; worried.
2. Attended with, showing, or causing anxiety: spent an anxious night waiting for the test results.
3. Usage Problem Eagerly or earnestly desirous.

It's commonly used to mean excited. Why not use excited?
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Ok...finished Zsadist's book this afternoon...had to take a break though :) My son's school had their annual fundraiser tonight and as the "good parents" we are, we had to show up for the full 7 hours!! I'm dead on my feet! And all I want to do is start Butch's book...LOL.

I'm still left with tons of questions from Rhage's book...guess I need to head over to the BDB thread and ask those though....don't want to get into trouble for asking them in the wrong place :shock:

I have to say, it's so great having people to discuss these books with and get recommendations from. I have to admit that most of my friends and family think I'm nuts for reading romance novels the way I do...specifically vampire romances! Twilight was acceptable because it was so huge but I tend to get strnage looks when I bring up or try to explain reading DH and BDB....

Thank you Naureen!!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

fanMNM, i thank my lucky stars for having the GGs to gush to about all the paranormal *cough* romance books i've been reading (mostly on their recommendations). I have one friend outside of cyber world who's read the books and we spend a lot of time on the phone at work talking about it, but aside from her, everyone else laughs at me and my brazen proclamation of my love of paranormal romance/urban fantasy/smutty vampires. ;)

on that note, i went out with an old (male) friend yesterday who was fascinated with the whole concept of urban fantasy since he had no idea it existed. he didn't mock me once (unlike everyone else). it was refreshing.