Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

una
Secret Spy for the Warden
Location: Sequestered in an alternate reality full of paranormal studs who find me irresitable!

Re: Gutter Guys & Gals-- Vampires Behaving Badly: The Discussion

Post by una »

Hope everyone is starting off this new week, healthy and happy!!

Congratulations Misfit! I love the names you've picked out so far! Hope everything proceeds well!

Names - my name is old fashioned. I was named after my gramma and great-gramma. My great-gramma was tickled I was named after her, but it proved much confusion at family occasions since we went by the same name! When her name ends with ie and mine with a y...they still sound the same! :lol: My gramma was horrified that my mom gave me her first name as my middle name. Her response was, "Why do you hate her already?" Yeah. I love my name, it has an old feel to it and I like to think I'm carrying on a tradition. My first name isn't too common even though there are famous ones.

Bac and Oleander I completely agree and add one more caveat. Please, please, PLEASE be careful of the initials you give your children. Kids are cruel enough (my name rhymes with most words so that was bad enough). However, a close friend, her initials were BS. I kid not, BS...think about the initials too!
I am the Impulsive VampVixen.
Thanks to SprtyGal and Fry for the AWESOME banner!
oleander
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by oleander »

Oh, I forgot to say to Misfit, I LOVE the names you've picked. They're really cute.

I didn't mean to go off on the tangent that I did. In my line of work I see so many problems/issues/sad things that preventative measures are always encouraged.

I also wanted to say that i included the shellans in the plan for the GG home for wayward paranormal studs/babes because the Brothers never go anywhere without them. If we seclude them in a spa then maybe we'd have more time with the Brothers! :twisted:
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

Una: You should have a son and name him Phury Oliver - his initials would be P.O.S. Hahahaha maybe he could marry ol' She-theed. They could have a POS jr.

I love your name, SuperTwin. It's perfect for you.

My real name sounds like a joke. I have 3 pairs of double n's in my first, middle, and maiden names. My middle name and my maiden rhyme. My parents hated me. My mom married a Donnie; my sister married a Ronnie, and I married a Kenny. My mom's maiden name ended with -son. My sister's first married name ended with -son and so does her second married name. My married name ends in -ton. My parents had the same initials before they married: MDR and DRM. Her birthday is March 10 and his March 11 (4 years apart). They have the same numbers in their ss# with 2 different letters scrambled in. ~~I had absolute no point in that. :?

Leelan: In my imaginary world there are no shellans. Hahahaha. Actually, though, I don't mind the mates in D-H. Odd.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

una wrote:Please, please, PLEASE be careful of the initials you give your children.
T-pa is BAM. All his siblings are BAM. His parents thought it was cute. One of his nicknames is BamBam. He'd rather be half naked and hit things when he wants attentions. Suits him. :roll:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

Initals are important...when pregnant with me, my mother craved M&M's so she made my initals MNM...it only caught on with my family and my very best friend though...but I know with my son, his initals are RKK...had to be careful not to pick a "K" name since the middle name is a family name (non-negotiable) and can't change the last name...

Thank you Naureen!!
olpatlanta
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye
Location: In the inappropriate Robert Pattinson comments support group meeting.

Post by olpatlanta »

Yes I agree initials are very important.
Mine are CDC. I use to have an email address cdc25.
When I would give it out people would ask me if worked for the CDC (Center for Disguise Control).
Soon after I changed my email address. :D
Alice's Party Planning Committee:World Class Chef
LadyDi
Teaching Eric Social Graces

Post by LadyDi »

Names ... my kids have what used to be very common names but aren't any longer. Easy to spell, easy to say - very important when your last name is very long!
I'm surprised none of the teachers in the audience mentioned the very common "I can't name my child X because every student I've had with that name was a holy terror" theme. There are so many names that are on the list - I wouldn't want to list them here, because I'd hate to mention someone's spouse or child as one of those "taboo names".
Initials, also important to take note of. My boss cannot write her first initial and last name (you know, like D. Jones) because of what results.
It can be a bit awkward when you hear someone's new name for their baby and you aren't too fond of it. We're liking Misfit's choices, but what do you say when a choice is less than stellar? We have two friends who have just had babies. One picked a very unusual old-fashioned name for his boy, the other picked a very ethnic hard-to-say name for his girl. If anyone has advice on that, let me know so I'm prepared when we meet the wee bairns in person. It's also tough when people go overboard on names - one girl I know has five, including her last name.
This banner is designed by the one-of-a-kind talent known on the Lex as Fry. Thanks!
fanMNM
Veggie-Vampire

Post by fanMNM »

I'm a teacher, and yes, LadyDi, I had that issue when naming my own children. I also made a list of names off limits based on those names belonging to ex's of both my husband and myself...lol.

You would not believe some of the names I see come across my desk...

I did aim to give my children different names without making them too weird...and I find that even if u have a really normal name, people still ask you how to spell it...like Michelle...I still get asked if I spell it with two l's or one. So, there's really no escaping it...

When I meet someone who has named their child a name I'm not particularly fond of, I usually respond with "Oh! How unique..." (and I try to sound really sincere when I say it...LOL) Usually people go into some explanation and offer some idea they have for a nickname (for those who are hard to pronounce or really long...)

What I have never understood is...I have several friends whose parents named them something but call them by their middle names. For example, if a man's name is James Matthew and his parents call him Matt....I understand if it is a family name and they want to avoid the James Jr. or little James...but a good majority of these friends are not named after their father or family members. What not just name him Matthew James? Oh well, don't even know why I question it...to each his own right? Just makes me curious :)

Thank you Naureen!!
Goodnight Elizabeth
Lusting for Blood

Post by Goodnight Elizabeth »

I never really understand naming a child one name and calling it another. I had a professor in college who gave a schpiel every semester about "when you have kids, don't do this." My husband's name is Kenny. Not Kenneth. A student was trying to get his grade changed and one of his friends worked in the Admin office as a work study. This friend gave him a grade change form that the professor has to fill out. The student knew Kenny wouldn't fill it out, so he forged my husband's name. He signed it "Kenneth ___." The office called Kenny to check because he has never signed anything EVER as Kenneth. Student was busted! We had a good laugh at that one.

I just wanted to pass along a little bit of info regarding the ice storm aftermath here around me:
There are a 250,00 people in Kentucky, over 100,000 in Arkansas, and 50,000 in Missouri without power right now.

I'm in shock. People who had power now do not. Poles are snapping. Trees are falling. I look at my backyard and it's difficult to imagine how anyone else could be worse off. I'm so lucky to have in-laws close by to take my husband & me in.
Squee! Thank you, Nena!
nissanmama
Officially Bitten!

Post by nissanmama »

QOTD: Name five obscure songs for which you know all the words. Bonus Question: Name your five favorite movie soundtracks.
  • 1. Glory
    2. Return to Me
    3. Hook
    4. Lord of the Rings
    5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p ... directlink
40-something and feeling a little like Mrs. Cope.
Banner by Fry