Gen Y ~ The 20 something's thread

pharmer4
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Re: Gen Y ~ The 20 something's thread

Post by pharmer4 »

G'Day Alaya, welcome aboard. I;m Pharmer4. I tend to post long-winded posts. You'll see. Tell us more about you.

@TillyWhitlock: It's so cool that you and shane actually BUY cds. I miss talking to people who don't see the problem with illegal downloads.

Sure if the band themselves are giving the music away, but if they aren't, leave it alone.

On top of that, there is that extra something about owning a physical copy - the artwork, the liner notes, the lyrics, it's all part of the experience.

@sarahGoddard - tell me what music you DO like, and I'll steer you in the direction of some other bands. There are not many I don't know (Breaking Benjamin is one of the first in ages, even though I've heard of them, not listened).

The best way to check out a band's mysic before comitting the dough is to use their myspace, or go to their last.fm page, or other such. You tell me the bands you like, I'll post some links to where similar bands have music available to hear online for free (hope you don't have dial-up though . . . . .)

Also, with Lillo, sounds like a nice, clean situation (by clean, i mean no hurt feelings or cliff-hangers etc, not, you know, the other type of "clean", but I suppose it was that too - how bout we just ignore that explanatino).

I think it sounds very healthy and the fact that if you do decide to give it a try, it will be almost like a totally new experience - if it does work, you'll get that newness back (ahh, the newness - I believe this is the reason people cheat on their partners, but they don't realise that the newness gets to be oldness unless you keep doing it again and again, ending up shallow and alone).

@cappu - yup, should arrive in about a week. As for who gets it next, that's your decision, not mine. I'd just like to know so I can keep track of it.
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
Ally_Cat
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Ally_Cat »

pharmer4 wrote: @TillyWhitlock: It's so cool that you and shane actually BUY cds. I miss talking to people who don't see the problem with illegal downloads.

Sure if the band themselves are giving the music away, but if they aren't, leave it alone.

On top of that, there is that extra something about owning a physical copy - the artwork, the liner notes, the lyrics, it's all part of the experience.
I just want to say that I compeletly agree with you Pharmer. I'm glad there are other people, like you and Tilly, that still share my desire to own a physical CD.
I think you hit the main point - the artwork, the disc design (if there is one), the lyrics are all part of the band and music. I think being able to look at those gives you more insight into the band. I can also not grasp how so many people I know just download everything for free. I cannot even see myself ripping off my favorite bands - I figure if I want more music in the future, I should pay for what I listen to now.

Also: WELCOME ALAYA! I'm Ally. Hope to see you posting more soon :mrgreen:
The Volturi: Nora
Private Ophelia Grey of Jasper's Army
Team "Screw you freaks! I pick Ben!"
Gen-Y: The Lexily
cascsiany

Post by cascsiany »

Sarah the only problem with me coming on is that most of the time I'm on at midnight or later. Most of you guys aren't on then. Hopefully once I get my sleep/eating schedule sorted I will be on when the rest of you are on.

Alaya welcome, I'm cascsiany, or cas for short, I'm a 22yo college student.

CDs, haven't really bought any recently. I tend to just listen to whatever is on the radio. I have been watching music videos on TV at 3 am so I kinda know what's come out recently. I may get the paramore cd when it comes out. I'll have a little more expendable income soon.

Caffeine. I might give it up for the most part. I was sort of using it recently to keep me awake at work although I've gone nearly a week with very little otherwise while on vacation. It's more of if it's available then I'm gonna drink it. I really like those packets you put in a bottle of water, at least then I'm getting something healthy in my system.

So the place I moved into is a few years old and the guy that owns the house is wanting to put in a new water heater and a few other things. Well first it was a fight just to find the water heater. Now we know where it's located, but there's a problem. There's one way in. There's edging around the side of the drywall. It was supposed to just be screwed on but some idiot nailed it in, so we've got to go along the edge and carefully remove the nails. Oh and there's a fridge along the wall.
EDC, Inc... Crane Trainee
Team Rosalie ~ Every Rose has its Thorn
"We can find some other way to pick a fight with this Demetri."~ Emmett, NM p. 534
Morgan University
Locard's Theory
TillyWhitlock
Playing Thunderball
Location: Wandering through the forest hoping to stumble upon Jasper

Post by TillyWhitlock »

Pharmer and Ally~ Shane and I feel that if we like a band then we're going to support them and buy the CDs. If we were to download them off the internet, and then the computer crashed, we'd lose all the music. And I was a criminal justice student... so it kind of goes against everything I know and learned to illegally download songs off the internet. And Pharmer, you're right. There's just something about having the physical CDs and the cover work and everything else that goes along with it.

Jen~ I so agree with Three Days Grace, Breaking Ben, and AFI... The Gorillaz, I could live without. But Shane can't. He loves them like they're going out of style. So I support him in that. I'm probably the most excited to see 3DG, Breaking Ben, and 30STM come out. And I'm sorry you're not feeling great.

Sarah~ Yep, my mom is on facebook. Denise Buckley. She comments on a lot of my stuff. She's freaking awesome. All you have to tell her is that you're my friend from London and she'll know who you are. She's one of the most wicked women in my life. And I love her for it. She's funny as hell too. I can talk to her about anything and everything and she completely understands. As far as my nephew... he's four and he's been going through this not eating anything phase since he was like 2. However old he was when he started eating solid foods. And I'm so stoked to see the rota. I will definitely Beta it and make sure it's good. And Sarah, I'll work on some CDs for you. I already have to make Kimmy a 100Monkeys album. So as soon as I get my old laptop from my mom's house and get all the music we lost when Shane's hard drive crashed, I'm making CDs.

Cas, I am always online after midnight... most of the time. Shane goes to bed at midnight, and most of the time I'm online doing stuff until 2 if not later. Email me if you wanna chat! [email protected]

Okay, I'm off to read and then maybe crash in bed... I have a killer headache. And tonight is not a night I want to play with my insomnia.
Garage,Bodyguard,APPC,EDC
"Drug" Dealer to THE 6. The price: One bottle of Honey or Syrup.

SarahGoddard~ The Best Lexling ever!
Twi-Twin=Kimmy
cascsiany

Post by cascsiany »

Tilly- I can do ya one better as far as family on Facebook. Both of my grandmothers as well as my mom, dad, aunt, great aunt, and a few cousins.

Has anyone seen TTW? I'm wondering if it's any good. I may go see it next weekend.
EDC, Inc... Crane Trainee
Team Rosalie ~ Every Rose has its Thorn
"We can find some other way to pick a fight with this Demetri."~ Emmett, NM p. 534
Morgan University
Locard's Theory
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

Hiya
Thank you for welcoming me – Tilly, Pharmer4, Jen, Ally_Cat and everyone else
I feel like the new girl at school and Sarah is the teacher “be nice to her and make her feel welcome now tells the whole class a little bit more about yourself”
My name is Alaya but you say it like if it is spelt alia. I’m 22 (but I look and feel a whole lot younger) my birthday is on Guy Fawkes Day. I live in London quiet near to Sarah who I have known for nearly 8-9 years, she is one of my best friends. Sarah is actually the person who got me into twilight which now I’m obsessed with. My other obsession is muse (this was way before twilight existed) I have seen them twice live and going to see them again this Nov (Sarah coming along too)
I can’t choose between Edward and Jacob they are both different and wonderful characters maybe in a country somewhere we are allowed two husbands that would be cool.
I don’t really know what else to say this is my first forum I have been on so it’s all new to me but it’s very interesting that we all here coz of twilight.
Just ask me anything else that you want to know about me unless you’re asking me about my bank details then I will be a little bit worried! 
Take care and chat soon
pharmer4

Post by pharmer4 »

Muse, nice.

I quite like muse, they have some very good tunes, very thought provoking.

Have you read Wide Awake yet, or did Sarah give you the banner? If so, what did you think?
30 year old tattooed metal-loving male Twilight Fan. Breaking the Stereotype.

If you don't understand the science of Twilight, or just like to scoff at it, read my explanations here
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

yeah i have read wide awake - love it! waiting for the next chapters are annoying i cant believe there is only one more to go
:( why cant it continue forever and ever? maybe she do another book.

i have started baking deserts like cakes/browines/cookies/cheesecakes coz of it.

im guessing you have read it, what did you think?
obieewok

Post by obieewok »

What up peeps! Monday's suck, and today is the usual same old same old.

To address Pharmer---dude, sorry you were offended by my Kstew rant, but it's what I do----it's the cool thing about being on the Twilight board---you can discuss Twilight and all aspects. So while there are those of us who love Kstew as Bella and want to drink her bathwater, there is an equal number of us who can't stand the chick for various reasons. I'm not an instigator or anything, I just like sharing my thoughts with other people who are likeminded, just as I'm sure you do. So let's just sloppily kiss and make up and agree to disagree, K? I'll even give you some tongue.

I saw District 9 on Friday. Man movie. You need balls to love it. Seriously. It wasn't bad, and it was an interesting take on the alien movie, but we saw it in XD (which hubs swears is the best thing ever) so it's like IMAX with the big huge screen. Hubs decided he wanted to sit RIGHT FREAKING UP ON IT so we could smell the Peter Jackson goodness or something, and for whatever reason I had a Blair Witch Project moment--everything was too jumpy, I was too close, screen was too big and Obie was too queasy----so I closed my eyes the whole thing. I listened to it, but it's sort of a visual movie, and therefore, Obie missed most everything. Yep. Friday date night rocked people. I plan on going and seeing the uber chick friendly Time Traveler's Wife sometime this week.

The Notebook was on continuous play or something yesterday on Oxygen, so hubs walked in to me bawling and I give him props---he actually asked "Did he say It wasn't over for me, It's still not over; or did the James Garner dude croak with her?" Twenty obie points to da man. (for the record it was the uber cheesey ducks in pond moment)

Why the freak are maternity clothes so expensive? Does it really cost twenty bucks extra in material to make me a shirt a size bigger? I swore off maternity clothes last time around---I just buy even fatter clothes at Old Navy instead. But I'm itching to go to one of those Motherhood Maternity breeder stores and freaking get something for some reason. I had to go up a size in jeans at old navy this weekend and I cried like a biznatch dude. I scared sales people and hopefully I'm now the cautionary tale of what will happen if you get knocked up---you get fat, bloated and while I was crying in a fitting room I let one rip and didn't even try to muffle it. Yeah. That's right. It's a beautiful thing pregnancy. Right Linds?

Ok....I gave Being Human another chance. It's still not my favorite thing, but I'm only through episode three and I'm digging it (and GAWD---Mitchell) more. Seriously---most freakified hottie----Mitchell. I think out of all vamps (even gasp---Eric Northman; I'll reconsider if you stick him in more tank tops True Blood creators) Mitchell is my hawtie favorite. He's just so BRITISH. The accent factor puts him up there.

I braved the most horrid place on the planet yesterday....IKEA. IKEA sucks donkey balls because you can't just go in and get out---OH no. That would be too easy. You have to plan an IKEA trip like a freaking surgery---know EXACTLY what you are looking for and go straight there and pray to GOD it's in stock and don't hit anyone on the way out. Dang Swedish cool furniture.

I had a garage sale on Saturday with a friend and I put up a bunch of Twilight and Rob posters that I had laying around (framed on my wall) from Shanna's Twilight bday party earlier this year. Some almost sixty year old chick comes up and buys ALL OF THEM about twenty min into the gsale.

Obs: "Oh cool! So are these for a relative or daughter?"
TwiGranny: "Oh no. These are for me."
Obs: "Oh. Um, very cool. You a big Twilight fan?"
TwiGranny: "OH yes. I love Rpatz (she freaking did not just call him Rpatz) but Emmett is my favorite. He's such a bear. I'd take either one of those boys though (and do what---knit them socks?) except for Jacob. Jake is on my bad side since that trick he pulled in Eclipse (WTF?????)."
Obs: "Um, wow. It's nice to see Twilight transcends all ages and everything."
TwiGranny: "People were saying the same thing at Twicon last weekend."
Obs: "Hold up---YOU went to TWICON?"
TwiGranny: "Yep. I made my Granddaughter go with me (SHE made HER GRANDDAUGHTER GO) and the Volturi Ball was ok, and I got a picture with Carlisle. He's even more handsome in person. He might be my new favorite. Wouldn't let him out of the house if he came a'knockin."
Obs: "I'm going to go contemplate everything I ever thought about anything now. Thanks."

I had to scrub my brain at some of the images it played.

I like that one little girl staring at the posters gave her mom a quick synopsis when asked "What is Twilight":

"He's in love with a chick and he wants to bite her but he doesn't. The end."

Yep---thanks to that twelve year old, everyone now knows what took me countless hours, four books and twenty viewings of a movie to get. Thanks.

Ok everyone. I'm off to make the world a miserable place, one face punch at a time. You guys have fun and don't do anything I would do!

Obs
"Has anyone ever shown you the difference between good touch and bad touch? 'Cause I'd love to demonstrate. We could start right now.'"

Like my banner? Suck it. MRK made it for me.
aliacullen
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by aliacullen »

obieewok wrote:
Obs: "Oh cool! So are these for a relative or daughter?"
TwiGranny: "Oh no. These are for me."
Obs: "Oh. Um, very cool. You a big Twilight fan?"
TwiGranny: "OH yes. I love Rpatz (she freaking did not just call him Rpatz) but Emmett is my favorite. He's such a bear. I'd take either one of those boys though (and do what---knit them socks?) except for Jacob. Jake is on my bad side since that trick he pulled in Eclipse (WTF?????)."
Obs: "Um, wow. It's nice to see Twilight transcends all ages and everything."
TwiGranny: "People were saying the same thing at Twicon last weekend."
Obs: "Hold up---YOU went to TWICON?"
TwiGranny: "Yep. I made my Granddaughter go with me (SHE made HER GRANDDAUGHTER GO) and the Volturi Ball was ok, and I got a picture with Carlisle. He's even more handsome in person. He might be my new favorite. Wouldn't let him out of the house if he came a'knockin."
Obs: "I'm going to go contemplate everything I ever thought about anything now. Thanks."

Obs
you are so funny your post made me laugh espicially the story with the grandma simple hilarious!