Twilight Guys

inlovewithmyJasper54
Learning to Love Green
Location: Florida - waiting for a Vampire to shine in the sunlight

Re: Twilight Guys

Post by inlovewithmyJasper54 »

draco117 wrote:Both Bellas appeal to me (a new twilight guy :) ) because I wanted to cuddle and hug the starting Bella, but I also am a firm believer that women are the stronger sex, so I was also attracted to her when she became the stronger her. And yes, I am a straight guy, but there is something sexually attractive about vampires...no matter what sex they are. SM did such a great job, that I teared up when Edward left . and my heart fluttered when he returned.
girl here (if anyone didn't know me yet on this thread... lol)
I must say, wow! what you said is very interesting. I'm really glad you said that because hopefully other guys will realize that it's ok to really get into "chick" books.
ImageImage
both made by... me! =) <3
Adam
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Adam »

inlovewithmyJasper54 wrote:
draco117 wrote:Both Bellas appeal to me (a new twilight guy :) ) because I wanted to cuddle and hug the starting Bella, but I also am a firm believer that women are the stronger sex, so I was also attracted to her when she became the stronger her. And yes, I am a straight guy, but there is something sexually attractive about vampires...no matter what sex they are. SM did such a great job, that I teared up when Edward left . and my heart fluttered when he returned.
girl here (if anyone didn't know me yet on this thread... lol)
I must say, wow! what you said is very interesting. I'm really glad you said that because hopefully other guys will realize that it's ok to really get into "chick" books.
Ok. What the dilly-O ? I appreciate what you guys have said, but I think you can get into the books without either falling victim to Edward's sexual mojo, or falling for Bella. My experience was just to think: It must feel unreal to be with the person for whom you are the perfect person, and have them soak up your affection and be breathless when you touch or kiss them. That would be incredible.
ana;
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by ana; »

Adam wrote: Ok. What the dilly-O ? I appreciate what you guys have said, but I think you can get into the books without either falling victim to Edward's sexual mojo, or falling for Bella. My experience was just to think: It must feel unreal to be with the person for whom you are the perfect person, and have them soak up your affection and be breathless when you touch or kiss them. That would be incredible.
Girl here, sorry to interrupt.
I just loved what you said there.

Besides the fact, that I was taken away by Edward's persona. I think that's the beautiful thing about the books.
I loved how at first, everything is so distant, and how a touch.. means so much, and a kiss means the world. It's an incredible story.
Tamalyn

Post by Tamalyn »

Spartan wrote:
*Girl Question here*
I know this might be wierd but I have to ask - Did any of you (Straight) guys find yourself a tad sexually confused when reading Twilight? lol
It's just being a young woman I don't see how anyone can read Twilight and not have the tiniest bit of sexual interest in Edward because SM writes it so well.
Please reply to this because I really want to know.
That is a good question, and one that I, too, wondered about while I was reading the books for the first time. However, I don't think that reading a book from the POV of a character that is the opposite of you, gender-wise, would generate any feelings of sexual confusion, no matter how detailed and passionate the narrator's feelings are. That confirmation/"aha! moment" came to me while I was reading the 12 chapters of Midnight Sun that Steph posted.

It is from Ed's POV, and he is sexually attracted to Bella. Did this make me sexually attracted to Bella? No. It made me even more appreciative of Edwards personal character than ever, because I saw how fully he adored her, in a more personal/intimate sense than we got from his words, in Bella's POV in the series. It made me wonder how amazing it would be, to be looked at the way he views Bella.

His description of her curves, softness, and how it made him feel when she bit down on her lip didn't make me attracted to Bella, nor do I think that any male who reads Bella's discription of Edward's perfect bod would become magically attracted to Edward. (Unless there was some ambiguity in the reader's orientation already.)
Adam wrote:Ok. What the dilly-O ? I appreciate what you guys have said, but I think you can get into the books without either falling victim to Edward's sexual mojo, or falling for Bella. My experience was just to think: It must feel unreal to be with the person for whom you are the perfect person, and have them soak up your affection and be breathless when you touch or kiss them. That would be incredible.
Exactly. I fell in love with their bond & the intensity of their feelings, more than falling in love with the characters themselves.
draco117 wrote:Both Bellas appeal to me (a new twilight guy ) because I wanted to cuddle and hug the starting Bella, but I also am a firm believer that women are the stronger sex, so I was also attracted to her when she became the stronger her.
(bursts into applause!)
And yes, I am a straight guy, but there is something sexually attractive about vampires...no matter what sex they are.
I agree. It's an underlying theme in all vampire lore- that they are generally very alluring, in an inexplicably sexual way. They are tied in almost all mythology to eroticism.
Great question/topic!! All of the male perspectives are so fascinating to me. Keep 'em coming. :)

-Tami
Last edited by Tamalyn on Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
inlovewithmyJasper54
Learning to Love Green
Location: Florida - waiting for a Vampire to shine in the sunlight

Post by inlovewithmyJasper54 »

ok, you took what I said wrong. I meant it's good that he did have some of the same feelings I did when Edward left and then came back. I would not expect a guy to feel sad about him leaving, and I just wanted to tell him that I'm glad he told us. And I was not saying that you cannot get into the books without falling in love with a character. That was not the case for me at least. I read the books because they showed me how true love could be.
ImageImage
both made by... me! =) <3
Spartan
Hanging Up on Jessica

Post by Spartan »

I totally get all the you lot have said in reply to my Question - but to clarify I did not mean that no-one can read a romance book without falling in love with the characters. I just felt like the intensity of Edward and Bella's relationship makes every feeling expressed about Edward so powerful - and because most of Bella's feelings about him are romantic I personally find It hard to read Twilight without really wanting to be with him like that myself. But in the other books It's not the same. I love what draco117 wrote and would totally agree that Vampires are sexually alluring in general.
I never actually considered what it might be like in Midnight Sun ( I haven't read any of it because I want to wait until it's published - if it SM decides not to i'll read it online) but I suppose Tamalyn is right.
* * Sapere Aude * * Jasper is my Edward : D
Amivera
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Amivera »

Spartan wrote:*Girl Question here*
I know this might be wierd but I have to ask - Did any of you (Straight) guys find yourself a tad sexually confused when reading Twilight? lol
It's just being a young woman I don't see how anyone can read Twilight and not have the tiniest bit of sexual interest in Edward because SM writes it so well.
Please reply to this because I really want to know. :D
I'm not a guy, lol, but my friend wanted me to answer this for you, because I asked him. :)

(I think his answer applies to a lot of people— not all of them, of course— but a lot of the guys I know feel similarly). He said:

Reading Twilight made him attracted to Bella, but he really hated Edward. He liked Jacob the best, because he was a normal guy, and most guys can relate to being in a position where a girl is dating someone else but they like her.
Edward, however, was this perfect guy that he couldn't relate to, because he was a Stepford Husband, a Gary-Stu, a man without flaws, and who was a 108-year-old virgin. A man who could say corny things without laughing. A man who was a perfect gentleman with a musical voice and an angelic face, who had virtually no flaws except his overprotectiveness (which was a sign of love and therefore not considered a flaw).

So, yeah. That's how he (and a number of others) felt.
Blackwater. <3

potterpuff @ lj
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

Twilight guys... I applaud you! :D We love having you guys here. My friend (a guy) commented on my Twilight shirt and said he wanted to see the movie. I asked if he had read the series and he said, "No, I'm not a girl." (That is an exact quote by-the-way!) What can I tell him to convince him to read it?
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
slayerchick303
Banging Out Dents with Tyler

Post by slayerchick303 »

If you guys have any ideas of how to convince my little brother (he's 20 years old) to read the book too, let me know!
MANDI
Team Edward Forever!
ImageImage
E<3B
Adam

Post by Adam »

slayerchick303 wrote:Twilight guys... I applaud you! :D We love having you guys here. My friend (a guy) commented on my Twilight shirt and said he wanted to see the movie. I asked if he had read the series and he said, "No, I'm not a girl." (That is an exact quote by-the-way!) What can I tell him to convince him to read it?
Well, he wants to see the film, that's at least something. Perhaps seeing the movie will influence him to want to read the books. It might help if you mention (after the movie) that the book was much better, regardless of how good the film really was.

As for your brother... that is tough. One thing not to do would be constantly nag him. It will only discourage him from reading. I know it sound obvious, but after my mother ignored my polite recommendation of the book, even I am tempted to say more. What gives? A woman not being interested in Twilight!? The mere concept threatens my grip on reality.
Good luck, anyway.