Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread

ringswraith
Running with Leah 'cause she thinks I'm hawt

Re: Twilight Fanfiction Discussion Thread

Post by ringswraith »

Amanda Beth: It's not quite as complicated (or difficult) as it sounds. Though, like anything, it does take time. I don't expect anyone to learn command of the language overnight, but I would expect an author's work to be more polished than their previous ones. :)

Please allow me to make a recommendation. Try to find a copy of Stephen King's book, On Writing. He explains a lot of the basics of grammar and the like, and it has helped me a lot in the learning process. It's also not boring to read- this is King, after all. ;)
Amanda Beth
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Amanda Beth »

Thanks for the recommendation rings!

WA has plenty of errors in it, yet "Emmet" seemed to the one pointed out...it was weird how defensive people got over a name spelling lol. But ahhhh tis the love of Twilight fans lol. Essay33, can I fit you in my pocket and bring you around as a reference guide? lol. Someone needs to write a book "Punctuation and Grammar for Adults Who Never Listened in School" -- you could make a mint.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

AMADNA BETH~~(I misspelled your name just to tick people off... ;) ) First of all, I have read EVERY ffic you've written, and your work IS NOT full of errors. Yes, you do have some very human mistakes...but don't we all. They in no way detract from the story. I would venture to say that some of the authors out there distract us with their F bombs here and their dangling participles there, but definitely not you, my dear!
Second of all, as a writing instructor for both 5th grade students and teachers in professional development settings, dialogue rules leave a very large margin for interpretation. I like for the dialogue in a story to flow as natural conversation would flow. It should sound as if REAL people are speaking. I think SM does an excellent job with this, and I try to model her when I am writing my own stories.
BETAS...Some are great, some are not so great. I do not use a beta because I simply don't trust anyone with my work besides myself. I edit my work as I go. I stop and re-read to check for continuity and flow. I also check for grammar and spelling errors during these periodic re-reads as well. :) Maybe that's why some of my readers have complained that I don't post updates often enough. I am such a perfectionist, I agonize over every chapter.
CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM...Yeh, right! Some people would rather be negative than constructive. Then, there are the people who NEVER say anything...good or bad. I don't know which is worse. The silent reader or the mouthy reader. In any case, writing is an extremely personal thing. It takes guts to put yourself out there for everyone to see. I try to think of every writer as one of my 5th graders. They bloom much better under gentle encouragement and my pointing out the positives in their writing rather than me harping on the negatives.
SOAP BOX DONE...for now. :)

BTW...The doc removed some fluid from my lapband, and I am MUCHO better today! I have slowy been gaining strength back after a near miss with a hospital stay this weekend due to dehydration. New goal reached, though! 75 pounds gone as of today!! :D
openfire
Touched By Cold Hands

Post by openfire »

Hey everyone, I'm a total newbie to Twilight fanfiction - thought I should prolly check this thread out!

I started reading Wide Awake last night. I was hoping it to be good, cos I've heard a lot of people on here saying how great it was. And the first couple chapters were ok, not great, but not bad. But..after the first couple...I can not put this thing down!! Like, wowza!! It's making me giggle, just cos of it's awesomeness. It's making me feel like I felt while reading Twilight...just wow.

I know I'm so behind you lot, as I'm guessing you've all read it ages ago? lol. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I'm loving it. I sat up till 5am last night reading it, and have been reading it since I got up today... haha!

Need to get back...I'm anxious to see whats gonna happen to them!!
Banner by the super talented TammyAZ!
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

Post by Openhome »

I beta other's works, and currently use three of them for my stories. They are wonderful!! Two are grammar Nazi's (last chapter had a TOTAL of 4 errors - I'm so proud of that) and one is a teen with a wonderful eye for wording and plot twists. I write T rated stuff, and I wanted a smart teen that I could trust to give me honest feedback. I have also asked Oleander and Sweetkay to take a look at important chapters, and their feedback was simply priceless. Never be afraid to get the opinion of others whom you trust.
missp
Teaching Nessie all she needs to know
Location: Missing my HH SISTERS but loving all the great memories from HH CON 2012!

Post by missp »

Please don't get me wrong. There are some really terrific beta's out there. I just feel very capable of being my own beta. However, I do from time to time ask for opinions from all of ya'll. I value those opinions the most because you guys are the ones who spend the most time with ffics.

Well, today is going to be spent writing the next chapter of Perfect Forever, and I have arrived at a point in the story where I need to do several character profiles. It will be a slow go... I really wish sometimes I could just throw caution to the wind and write like a bat out of Hades instead of overthinking every thing! But, that's not me. Ya'll have a great day! It's rainy here...perfect for a ffic-filled day! :D
JillOBean
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by JillOBean »

FYI: UoEM has chapter 18 up. Reading it now...

Anyway, I just want to say how impressed I am that y'all spend SO much time on your writing and so much care to really make it... good. lol. Good is such a terrible word to use, but, oh well. I edit enough while writing, I'm not editing my stupid posts, too. *Growl*

I totally get it about having a beta or someone you really trust to look at your work and give feedback. I'm starting a new story right now, starting chapter one... and I'm SO excited about it! :D But, I'm having trouble with some of the plot structure. Would anyone mind helping me with that? I have this BIG idea for the story and the structure of it... I'm just having trouble with getting the story there, how soon to get the story there... etc. I really just need/want ONE person to look at it/talk with me about it so I can bounce my ideas off of them. It's a M rated story with BxE, so they'd have to be an adult.

I know everyone is SO busy, but would anyone mind being my wall of creative criticism for me to bounce the story off of? I'm always more worried about the plot and story development than I am with editing help. Please PM me, I probably won't get back to you until Monday and by then I'd have a chapter or two ready for you to read and the story descrip. that I'm trying to follow/formulate.

Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

I would so help you JillOBean but I'm going to be worthless while I'm moving :(
JillOBean
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by JillOBean »

Thanks, Amanda Beth!

By the time you're done moving, I'll probably have another story in the works. LOL!

Because I have no life like that. :D

Amanda Beth

Post by Amanda Beth »

Published "the" chapter.

I really hope it doesn't suck. :(