Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: Q and A with Shannon Hale

Post by skatepixie »

RebeccaCullen wrote: Honestly, I found the birthing to be a bit gruesome myself, which I find odd because I can sit through watching a person being beheaded among other things on a show I watch with no problem at all. My problem stems with the lack of violence in BD is that we're finally given a Bella that can actively do something other then slice open her arm to help. To me, the birthing came out of nowhere because in the prior books nothing like that was ever put in; the worst we got was vampires being ripped apart and those piece trying to put themselves back together in EC.

TBH, I was expecting something to happen when the Volturi showed up over getting Bella ripped apart and felt let down when I read Bella being ripped apart from Jacob's pov, and Bella and a bunch of vampires standing around talking about Renesmee.
I can understand that. I liked the Merchant of Venice way of dealing with things, but then I was expecting that. I took the MoV clue to be a strong clue that it would be a bloodless battle. I liked it, because I find action sequences in general rather boring -- especially on film, but that's another matter.

I also noticed the evasion of questions about a male vampire and a female human and considered it a possibility for BD. Maybe it's the writer in me, or maybe its spending over a decade in the Harry Potter fandom, but I've spent a lot of time reading between the lines of what authors say.
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

After reading earlier notes, I re-read this section to refresh my opinion on the interview. While the discussion has moved on a bit, I wanted to insert a small note.

I did not dislike the interview - even the first time through. I adore Edward and like Jacob, but I didn't feel as though she was expressing bias towards any character over any other. I do agree with other folks about the datedness of the interview; even though SM apparently vetted it, I would have preferred a new one. It sounds as though SM would have disliked doing that, though .... Anyway, loved the discussion of her writing process too. I have been motivated to work on some fanfiction in the time I rob from other tasks - not much time, only 4 single-spaced pages, but still, a lot of fun.

Some thoughts about Jacob and his role in the series:
1. Jacob is a second "innocent eye;" he accompanies Bella on her trip from the real world into the world of myth. So he is a peer to her that way, as well as being of her own time. He offers a different perspective on the same trip.
2. Jacob is a complementary character to Edward. Do you notice how SM uses similar words to describe Jacob and Emmett, Edward's favorite brother? Jacob really only seems to be annoying to Edward because he is competing for Bella's love; otherwise, as Edward says, he kind of likes Jacob.

And a question about Jacob for any male Twifans reading. SM talks about her hesitation in writing from a male POV. When you read Breaking Dawn Book 2 (Jacob), did you feel like it rang true? Or did you find yourself thinking "no guy would ever think, feel, say that"?
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
giselle-lx
Settled in Forks

Post by giselle-lx »

skatepixie wrote:I also noticed the evasion of questions about a male vampire and a female human and considered it a possibility for BD. Maybe it's the writer in me, or maybe its spending over a decade in the Harry Potter fandom, but I've spent a lot of time reading between the lines of what authors say.
Frankly, that always made perfect sense to me, even though I came at the series after vampire hybrids were established canon. In every interview, she never mentioned female humans. Not once.

I will say I was glad to read the info from Pel about the timing of the interview. What disturbed me the most about it was the flippancy of its tone. This series is one for which a lot of us have taken and continue to take a LOT of flak for taking seriously at all, and some of her answers were very much, "I winged it. Too bad if you were disappointed, but I get to write what I want" instead of addressing concerns who had very much loved her stories and who launched her into superstardom. Knowing it was right after the BD ruckus and the MS leak puts those comments into perspective, although I still wish the editors had thought to maybe choose an interview that was more recent, maybe from a fan junket, or even do a dedicated interview for this book.

And hi. Longtime lurker...apparently I've just been reading here for two years because I went to log in and discovered I'd never even registered an account... :wave:
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

I doubt Shannon Hale would have been able to do another interview, and that was one of my favorite things about it -- the idea of two writers relating to each other like that. A newer interview might not have that unique quality to it, in which case I'm fine with what we were given. There will be more SM interviews, especially when the movie comes out, since she is taking a bigger role in this one. :)

As for Jacob and realism, I asked my husband about it (he's read all four books), and he says he remembers it ringing true, but he doesn't remember the details as much because it's been a while. :)
smitten_by_twilight
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by smitten_by_twilight »

skatepixie wrote:I doubt Shannon Hale would have been able to do another interview, and that was one of my favorite things about it -- the idea of two writers relating to each other like that. A newer interview might not have that unique quality to it, in which case I'm fine with what we were given. There will be more SM interviews, especially when the movie comes out, since she is taking a bigger role in this one.

As for Jacob and realism, I asked my husband about it (he's read all four books), and he says he remembers it ringing true, but he doesn't remember the details as much because it's been a while.
Totally agree about having 2 authors dialog, that was great stuff. Don't know how I'm going to make it until November! And thanks for checking with hubby. There are all kinds of men, and as long as somebody feels like it rings true, then it is true enough. It's good to hear, because the fanfic I'm amusing myself with writing is from a male POV. :write:
giselle lx wrote:And hi. Longtime lurker...apparently I've just been reading here for two years because I went to log in and discovered I'd never even registered an account...
Welcome to the user side! :hello: If you're inclined, you can introduce yourself more fully on the New Kid forum - it's a nice way to make more personal contact with fellow addicts.
My FanFiction Page ~ Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery
Proud Halfway House Cousin Sister! - Team Alice Celebrity Chef - Seeing the future since 1901
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

smitten_by_twilight wrote:
skatepixie wrote:I doubt Shannon Hale would have been able to do another interview, and that was one of my favorite things about it -- the idea of two writers relating to each other like that. A newer interview might not have that unique quality to it, in which case I'm fine with what we were given. There will be more SM interviews, especially when the movie comes out, since she is taking a bigger role in this one.

As for Jacob and realism, I asked my husband about it (he's read all four books), and he says he remembers it ringing true, but he doesn't remember the details as much because it's been a while.
Totally agree about having 2 authors dialog, that was great stuff. Don't know how I'm going to make it until November! And thanks for checking with hubby. There are all kinds of men, and as long as somebody feels like it rings true, then it is true enough. It's good to hear, because the fanfic I'm amusing myself with writing is from a male POV. :write:
Oh, I'm terrified of writing in a male POV. Maybe for my next book. Maybe. But my husband is going to have to okay it before it goes to my critique group to be butchered, that's for sure. :)

As far as my husband goes -- he's somewhere in between Edward and Jacob. He's a gentleman, like Edward, but he has some of Jacob's goofy side. So I think both characters are realistic for him. I would like for him to read Midnight Sun (or at least the first chapter) and see how well Edward's POV works for him.
Blossomforth
Settled in Forks

Post by Blossomforth »

I'm not entirely finished reading the interview yet, but from what I've read so far, I really enjoyed it. I didn't notice anything odd about her answers... There was nothing that I wasn't expecting. I'll definitely keep the timing in mind, though, if I do come across something I don't like. ^^;;;