Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide Discussion Forum

Moderators: December, Bronze Haired Girl, una

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Jeakat
Wandering Through Town

Re: Has this changed the story for you?

Post by Jeakat »

I've always thought that SM doesn't defend Edward because she doesn't have to. She knows that the vast majority of people love Edward, so what would be the point of singing his praises. I know a lot of people claim that SM is in love with Jacob and hates Edward, but I honestly don't see it that way. I certainly don't agree with everything she says (in fact I disagree on a lot of the points she's made in the past).
RebeccaCullen wrote:On page 23 she says-this is a direct quote: "there is never just that one boy, and there's never this moment when you know.There's a choice there, and sometimes that's hard."

I think one would know if the boy is the one they want, and the only choice there should be is if the boy is worth fighting for.

See, I always got the impression while reading the books that mine and SM's views on love were completely different. When I read this quote, it just confirmed it. It doesn't necessarily mean that she's wrong, but that her opinion on love (probably based on upbring and her own experience) differs wholly from mine. That being said, I can (kind of) understand where she's coming from. I'm not going to bleat on about how wonderful my H2B is, but I know without a shadow of a doubt that he is beyond perfect for me. However, a few years into our relationship, even though he's an amazing guy and I knew he was 'the one', I did second guess myself. I think that was mainly due to my age (we were sixteen when got together). I wondered whether my judgement in my younger years wasn't as defined as it could've been. Of course, I realised I was being ridiculous and nearly eight years later and here we are, still going strong. I can't she where's she coming from on the never one boy front, but I do understand having moments of self-doubt. That's probably not what SM was trying to say, but it makes me feel better to imagine that it was!

I don't think the story will be changed for me. I guess I'll find out when I go back and read it. I've never seen James. Victoria etc as evil or bad. They were merely doing what's in their nature, so that aspect hasn't changed for me. I don't think the guide has changed my views on anyone, but I do think it'll enhance my experience when I do get back round to re-reading
I wasn’t born a compassionless shrew. I used to be sort of nice, you know - Leah Clearwater, Breaking Dawn, p.316
jeremi08
Settled in Forks

Post by jeremi08 »

Again, i agree with Jeakat. What would you do if your in James and the other vampires situation? I believe you'll do the same what they did. :heartbroke:
I live in a world with no dreams.
abbyweyr
Settled in Forks

Post by abbyweyr »

RebeccaCullen wrote:

On page 23 she says-this is a direct quote: "there is never just that one boy, and there's never this moment when you know.There's a choice there, and sometimes that's hard."

I think one would know if the boy is the one they want, and the only choice there should be is if the boy is worth fighting for.

I think what SM is trying to say is that there is not necessarily just one person in the whole wide world that is the one and only for you. There may be several that would be a wonderful spouse for you. Hopefully you only meet one of them and don't have to make the choice that Bella does. Which one you come across would depend on what paths are taken by each person. Go one direction you meet up with person A, go another you may met person B. Part will depend on time of life you are in. Person A for your youth, something happens they die and you meet person B, who love equally but in a different way. Those are my thoughts on the possiblities out there.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

Can someone tell me on which page SM praises Jacob? I read the interview (found it a bit long!) and I don't remember noticing anything overtly leaning one way or the other, but I must confess that I didn't find the interview that interesting, so I could have missed it.
Jacob is a less flawed character than Edward. Yes, he is more of a guy, and he acknowledged his often-jerkishness to Bella in BD. But he has fewer major flaws - as SM put in, he has no "tragic flaw," a literary concept that I can't explain properly. Edward is obsessive, deceitful, manipulative, and swings wildly between being overcontrolling and too passive. Properly used, I admire most of these characteristics - and there is no question that Edward has many wonderful characteristics as well.
I don't think that Jacob is less flawed than Edward at all. Perhaps not a "tragic flaw" in the literary understanding of the term, but Jacob is also obsessive (in his desire to save Bella), deceitful and manipulative (he is both of these things in his threat to kill himself so she'll kiss him), and tries to control her as well, through the love he knows she feels for him. He plays on her sympathies like a master, as Edward points out in the tent scene. He is also narrow minded, and lacking in trust. He never trusts anyone's judgement but his own, and this doesn't change even after he imprints. He is also unable to admit, at least publicly, that he is in any way wrong about anything. At no point does he admit that perhaps he could have done things a little better, which is certainly the case, no matter how noble his motives. At least Edward is able to admit his faults and mistakes and apologise for them. I don't think Edward is less flawed than Jacob, and they do have some different flaws, but it's unfair to say that Jacob has less. He is just as faulty as Edward
mainhoonemily
Wandering Through Town

Post by mainhoonemily »

Tornado wrote:Can someone tell me on which page SM praises Jacob? I read the interview (found it a bit long!) and I don't remember noticing anything overtly leaning one way or the other, but I must confess that I didn't find the interview that interesting, so I could have missed it.
There's a whole section from page 20 to 23 where she talks about Jacob - how he was "born" as a character, and his personality contrasted with Edward's.

For an Edward fan I guess I'm pretty pro-Jacob, too, in that I never wanted Bella to choose him over Edward but I fell a little in love with him myself and didn't see him as the Evil Userper or anything like that. I think Stephenie Meyer likes him not necessarily better than Edward, but in a different way. He's more lovable, I guess...or not really that, so much as...it's easier to feel affectionate and motherly towards him, you know? Whereas Edward is very sophisticated, he's lived so many years and seen so much, and had people's thoughts in his head so he doesn't have a lot of illusions about the world. Jacob is still very young and naive and sees things in black and white, and it's endearing. Even when he's acting like a jerk, I like him. I don't know if I'm explaining this very well; it's hard to explain!

Anyway, to get on topic, the guide didn't really change anything for me. It confirmed some things, and there were revelations I wasn't expecting, but I still see the story and the characters the same way I always did.
alicerosecullen285
Settled in Forks

Post by alicerosecullen285 »

After reading the guide, I started understand the characters better, especially the "BAD" ones!

Victoria: The evil red-hair woman who tried to kill Bella! The biggest fear of Bella! Although in Twilight Saga, she is BAD, now I can understand her view. She had been through so many things in her human life, that she deserved a better vampire one!!! But, after few years of her transformation she lost her sis and faith. And then she met James. The worst thing in her life. Not only he used her but he made her believe she meaned s/t to him... Of course, the things after James' death were all Victoria's fault but she was used the same way she used Riley and the others... :?

James: For me, he's the real "BAD" in Twilight Saga. Not only because of those he did to Bella and Edward, but mostly because of the way he treated to Victora!!! Bella was just a game, but Victoria was his mate!!! :evil:

Alice: The biggest supprice of the Saga. Her human life was a totally disaster!!! All this pain and no join!!! Then, she woke up as vampire and she couldn't remember anything. She could have stop trying, but she decided to make the difference!!! Wherever she is, she never lose her faith. She is always happy!!! And she always try to do her best!!! :D
Twilight
The safest hour of the day...
TwilightDom
Settled in Forks

Post by TwilightDom »

One thing I really enjoyed in the guide is Stephanie's ideas on her writing process. I am a writer too and I love that she seems really accessible. She is very educated but doesn't seem all high and mighty about. I know she was talking to a friend in the interview so that gave it a good feel but she just seems like someone I would love to know. She seems just as cool as her characters as far as I am concerned. I loved getting to know the characters thru the guide and there was so much intertwining in past years among them, prequel anyone?