Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 2

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Post by Openhome »

Was the new ending necessary? Did it make it better? What does having a dual ending do to the saga?
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Re: The New Ending

Post by skatepixie »

I'm a bit undecided on the dual ending thing. I pretty much figured, before this, that they would do something actiony that only happened inside Alice's head.

On the down side, I'm not usually one for a big twist that fakes out the audience. It feels manipulative and futile, since it doesn't have anything to do with the true ending. It also feels like one more time that Summit has added action where there wasn't in the book -- and one thing I love about Twilight books is that they aren't all about action, they are about characters and relationships. I'm REALLY not a fan of action movies in general, actually.

On the plus side, it gave me a new understanding of Alice, and what she goes through as a character. I can't even imagine seeing stuff like that, and then feeling the need to try to prevent it.
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

It's bothering me....
These are the spoiler threads, but still warning: MAJOR SPOILER AHEAD!

Not going by books, just by the movies...
In New Moon; Alice gets a vision about Bella. She can't see what happens with Bella after jumping that cliff. Alice tells Jacob she can't see past him.
In BD1; Alice says she can't see Bella's future anymore. The logical conclusion is that Alice can't see Bella's future, because of the fetus. So she can't see Nessie.

And then you get to BD2. With a complete vision that seems to be the ending. Alice can't see the wolves! Yet, she sees a complete fight with wolves and all! How can she see that? Am I missing something here? Am I wrong in thinking that in the first place; Alice shouldn't be able to see it? She shouldn't be able to see any battle or/and outcome at all. As soon as the wolves come in to the picture, Alice' sight should be blind right?

Later on; Alice sees a vision of Nessie, Jacob, Bella and Edward in the future, save and sound. She should not be able to see that. Even if she could see Nessie; the fact that Nessie's future is intertwined with Jake's, should make that Alice can't see Nessie future anymore.

Again; am I missing something here? Is there a good explanation for the fact that Alice DOES see all of it?

Apart from that: I LOVED it! I can dream the books, so off course, I know how it'll end. But it had me gasp! It had me wonder if maybe they did deviate that much from the book. It was done so well! I loved, loved, loved it! I think it was a good addition.
skatepixie
Buying a Better Raincoat

Post by skatepixie »

Great point about Alice not being able to see the wolves. That just makes me think even more that it's a ploy to get more action into the film, to try to market it to action fans. Aaarg.
Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Re: The New Ending **SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

Post by Tornado »

Yes, Alice shouldn't have been able to see the wolves or Renesmee. However, the suspense just wouldn't have been there if they'd left them out, not to mention that it would have looked funny if people had disappeared every so often when they were fighting a wolf. It's definitely a plot hole, but I enjoyed the scene so much that I can overlook it. I thought the battle was very impressive.
Brienna

Post by Brienna »

Well, yes, I agree. It wouldn't have been right if they showed a fight with onl vampires, no wolves, that wouldn't have worked at all. So I see why they did it.
And I also just loved the whole battle scene! It was so well done and it had me tensed up about how it was going to end. I really got dragged into it. So, yes, loved it. But plot hole..... :?

I will get over it, it's just bugging me right now.
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

Maybe it could have something to do with the fact that Jacob imprinted on Renesmee? That her life and future is now going to have wolves anyway. And that's why Alice can see them? Because now the Cullens and wolves are like a part of each other lives because of the imprinting?
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!
Brienna

Post by Brienna »

Could be... But in BD1, Alice can't see Bella's future anymore because of Renesmee, which means she shouldn't be able to see Nessie either.

Ah well... My sister, who didn't read the books, didn't get it in BD1, that Bella's future was gone because of Nessie. I went to that conclusion because I did know the books. She did agree with me on the wolves though, it's strange that Alice now all of a sudden can seem them. But it didn't bother her at all. So maybe it's just me ;)
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

Agreed. Alice simply should not have been able to see either the wolves or Renesmee. That being said, I didn't mind AT ALL! That fight scene was just sooo good that I didn't even think of that mistake. :D

I have to admit that I completely fell for it. As did all the people in my theater. I've heard so many rumors beforehand about the big twist and that it was such a big deviation from the book. I heard it wasn't going to be a vision and people were going to be killed left and right. So I was really nervous!
And then Carlisle charged at the Volturi and I briefly thought: "Peace-Love-and-Understanding Carlisle is charging first?!" But I didn't even have time to process that thought before he was beheaded! That was such a shock! My hand imediately covered my gaping mouth and it didn't leave that position until the reveal. It was hard to watch the fight, but my eyes were also glued to the screen!
When Carlisle was beheaded, I thought: "They're going to put him back toghether after the fight. Don't panick. It's going to be fine." ... But then the flames came and I was almost screaming NOOOO!!! That's when the panick really kicked in, still convinced of the rumor that it wasn't going to be a vision. And then even more people died! And more! Jasper (which now I don't get, because he is supposed to be the most experienced fighter). And the wolves, Seth first and Leah in the ravine I believe. Almost Esmee. And to top that all, they made it seem like Edward was going to die in that ravine as well! OMG was my heart in my throat! By that time my rational thinking was long gone, because I should have known he wasn't going to die. I knew they were still getting their happily ever after. (Although one of my wild theories was that they'd all die and have their happily ever after in heaven, since Edward didn't believe he would go to heaven and all. LOL)
Each time one of the Volturi died I was like YEAH! Tanya and Kate getting their revenge on Caius: YES!! Although I was completely grossed out by their method... Owch! I loved how terrified Jane was running away from Alice and finally got what she deserved! And Marcus... Poor Marcus. I was almost glad for him. And then Edward and Bella working together to bring down Aro!!! LOVED seeing them as a team and LOVED that they killed Aro!!! I almost wish it could have happened in real time. Almost, because when Bella trusted the flames at his face you could see she was about to get attacked by half a dozen black cloaks...
When finally it was revealed that it was just a vision... OMG was I relieved! Okay, it first I was angry that they fooled me, but I'm not a sore looser. ;) I have never felt that close to having a heartattack! They really had me good. I was so convinced it was real that it scared the heck out of me when I saw Alice and Aro just silently standing there. The whole theater jumped in their seats and gave relieved and impressed "WOW!"s and "PHEW!"s. I was literally shaking for a long time even after the movie ended.

Truth be told, I think it kind of overshadowed the rest of the movie in my mind. It was just that AWESOME!! I couldn't fully appreciate the sweet ending because I was still recovering. But at least that gives me an excuse to go see it again. I wonder if it will feel differently now that I know what's going to happen...
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
Lieziewiezie
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by Lieziewiezie »

People were applauding when the scene was over in my theater. It was awsome how everybody was caught up in it. At almost 2am in the morning after 12 hours spend in a movie theater.
Thanks MRK for the banner!
Is a proud part of the Gen Y Lexily to escape reality!