Discussion of the Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn 2

Moderators: December, cullengirl

Forum rules
Click for Forum Rules
Openhome
Corralling the Cullens while Esme's Away

The Volturi

Post by Openhome »

Everyone loves to hate them. What do you think of their role in Breaking Dawn pt 2?
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Re: The Volturi

Post by marielle »

I hated them... I hated Aro, I hated his childish silly laughter when he met Renesmee.
I loved Jane's medieval outfit. It was so much better than what I expected.

I hated Caius's hair.

Marcus's moment in the battle was done really well. That I loved.

I always didn't expect that they showed Alec's power. The dark mist was surprising but I liked it. it suited it's character perfectly
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Respect Team Robsten, Proud addict of the halfway house
Brienna
Has Caught Sight of Edward

Post by Brienna »

I agree with you on Aro. I thought it was a bit too much, a bit over the top. It made me cringe, not so good.
I also agree with you on Caius hair, did not like it.

But over all, I did really love them. I liked all of the outfits!
Suzan
Hiding Lauren's Hair Dye

Post by Suzan »

Agreed! Michael Sheen is great, but this... The whole theater went: What was that! And then proceded to laugh. It was so wrong. Overall, I think his performance was the worst. I'm sorry. It just doesn't fit with the Aro from NM or the books. His emotions and intentions were way too clear and exagerated. I get how that may have been a consious decision to avoid Edward constantly having to translate his thoughts. But come on...
I did like how we finally got to see them get what was long coming for them, especially Jane! Almost makes me wish it were real-time if it weren't for all the Cullens dying...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
FF profile: Suzqnv5689
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

I love the ending the peaceful parting of ways... I love how they did it in the movie but yeah I wished they had given Jane what she deserved....

I loved their clothing though... I'm obsessed with the outfits they selected for Jane... I'm going to need screenshots of that so I can see if I can fit it into my own wardrobe...
These violent delights, have violent endings...Like fire and gunpowder, they consume what they kiss

Violet Sunlight
Jump Starting Bella's Truck

Post by Violet Sunlight »

Here are my random thoughts on the Volturi in BD2:

Other than Aro’s crazy laugh, I thought everyone in the Volturi played their parts perfectly, including Aro.

I wish they would have zoomed in on the wives and the others who surrounded Aro at the battle field. Maybe on the DVD we’ll get a better look.

I loved that in the vision-battle Marcus said “finally”. Probably the non-book fans didn’t get the true meaning of that but I couldn’t help but smile and feel pleasantly surprised that line was in there.

I liked that Jane had the Katniss-like-braid in the immortal children flash back.

I didn’t get the reason for Toshiro until I realized we didn’t see the full effect of Alec’s powers on others at the battle field.
nezziecarlycullen
Learning to Love Green

Post by nezziecarlycullen »

I guess just because of that little outburst/ vocal vomit Aro is now branded "insane" in my eyes. It definately was unexpected. there was a collective "what was that" :shock: going around but i happened to end up going to a showing full of retirees so when my mom and i started laughing we got some wierd looks. :blush:
As to caius's hair, now that i think of it, it did look... idk... dirty, oily, droopy... i dont really know it just looked wierd. But of course that was the last thing i was paying attention to once Carlisles head came off. I was too busy having a mini stroke :swoon: :shock:
But, overall i think the actors did a good job and did what they needed to do.
P.s. now that i think of it, the war outfits were really cool, i liked that effect
alices party planing comittie
~EDC~
team renesmee
marielle
Cliff Diving with Embry

Post by marielle »

What did you all think about Aro's second to last line:

We will not be fighting today...

Is this a set up for a possibility of a future...

Tornado
Member: LaPush Cliff Diving Team

Post by Tornado »

He says that in the book as well, marielle. The suggestion there was that they would try and pick them off one by one.
corona
Ignoring Renee's E-Mails

Post by corona »

Let me throw in a few words of defense for Michael Sheen.

Yes, his laugh at Nessie is childish and ludicrous. Michael was hamming it way up, he was having fun with the part. However many shots of this they took, though, this is the one they kept. I think there were a few reasons for this, beyond the fact that this was Michael's role and they gave him some deference to how he wanted to play it.

* In my opinion, this bizarre laugh is a clue that things are not going to proceed quite according to the text.

* Michael is emoting. Suzan's point is spot on about him making his intentions almost embarrasingly clear. That was the right way to go though, in my opinion. He's doing this for clarity, as they decided not to include some other things from the text itself that makes it clear he is constantly lying. I'm thinking of when he turns around and talks about the need for secrecy and Caius is there smirking. Yeah, it's hammy but it leaves no doubt whatsoever what their true intentions are.

* Michael is camping it up, playing the obvious role of the villain. He wants you to want him dead. I love the look on his face when Bella is trying to pull his head off.

Is Aro slightly insane? Well, he killed his own sister so he isn't quite right. He is definitely evil, and I think Michael had to make a decision how to go with this, playing a dark controlled evil or camp it up and play an entertaining and obvious evil.

I think he made the right choice, but there is no doubt that laugh is WAY over the top. If I had to make a guess, I think he really did it because he wanted to show a couple of different facets of Aro. He really was extraordinarily curious about finding new things in the world, and discovering that half-breeds were actually possible and seeing a delightful one right in front of him tickled him pink. Book Aro wouldn't show it that way, but Michael decided he wanted to. And, this also shows how evil he is, because the one who is giving him such joy and wonder standing in front of him is the child he has every intention of killing, along with anyone else who gets in his way.

I mean, can you believe it? This precious child shows Aro her thoughts by laying her hand on his cheek. Aro is able to view Nessie, this extraordinary talented beautiful unique child, with wonder and delight, while simultaneously she means absolutely nothing to him. He wasn't moved one scintilla, when he should have melted in a gooey pile of emotion. Aro is disturbingly wacked.

Was it all too much? Actually, I kind of liked it, but I can definitely see where others would have just been annoyed with him.
"It will take an amazing amount of control,” she mused. “More even than Carlisle has. He may be just strong enough…the only thing he’s not strong enough to do is stay away from her. That’s a lost cause.”